Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   looking for info on imp 31 viper (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125169-looking-info-imp-31-viper.html)

BRUCE SEROFF 03-19-2006 12:18 PM

Re: looking for info on imp 31 viper

If I had to guess, I would say between 55 and 60. I remember a friend had a 24 IMP Eleganza with a 454/330. it topped out at 56 trimmed to the sky

Mikey Likes It 03-19-2006 03:02 PM

My wifes uncle has one for sale at the LOTO. His is a 33 with twin 454s. Very clean one owner never abused so he never had any problems. The 33 runs right at 70MPH. I think if you could pick one up at a great price go for it. I was impressed with it but I have only riden in it once.

rssteiny 03-19-2006 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by famous12345
My wifes uncle has one for sale at the LOTO. His is a 33 with twin 454s. Very clean one owner never abused so he never had any problems. The 33 runs right at 70MPH. I think if you could pick one up at a great price go for it. I was impressed with it but I have only riden in it once.

70 on gps or a speedo

Mikey Likes It 03-19-2006 04:57 PM

I think he has ran it with a hand held GPS. Could ask him what it ran. I do know that he runs right behind my 29 Fountain. I would say the boat would do every bit of 68 on GPS if not better.

BRUCE SEROFF 03-19-2006 06:55 PM

I didnt know they made a 33. I thought 24 and 31 was all they made.

Mikey Likes It 03-19-2006 11:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It's for sure a 33'.

psychoboater 04-01-2006 08:30 AM

Hello everybody. I'm the one that is looking to buy. The dealership has the boat listed as a 31 but when I went to look at the boat it has 330 viper graphic on the side of it. I asked the salesman if it was a 31 or 33 because the room up under was incredable. I'm under the impression they dont know what they have. The boat is clean and has low hours 149 and 151 on meters, still price fighting, but overall a really cool boat. I have a 22 scarab now and need more room. I've been looking hard at alot of boats but this seems to be the one so far. As to quality of the boat I've been a boater all my life and I couldnt find any ''bayliner like issues'' I'm going to water test befor I buy then Ill tell you all about speed

RaggedEdge 04-02-2006 10:02 AM

psycoboater,

Are you looking at the one at HBW in Alex Bay ? If so that boat has fairly low hours and is in really decent shape. Was owned by a guy that just didn't use it a lot , traded it for a big Sea Ray. That one also has a McCloud cockpit bolster option and a Cigerette like graphic package. The 31 / 33 deal on these boats depends on the year and whether or not it has the added swim platform. Some years ago I had the chance to drive one and would put the ride and handling on par with a Sonic of similiar size. Both are conventional vee designs and perform in a like manner. As to speed , my opinion would be mid , maybe upper 60's real speed --- might show you 70ish on the speedo. The 330 / 300 hp 454's are a very reliable package , I had a '88 32 Pachanga powered with them and ran them to 450 + hrs before trading in '96. As of several years ago they were still going , not sure of the hours , but still going. People with them in cruisers have been known to run 1000 + before any thing major.

Don't get too caught up in some of the comments posted here and your other thread regarding the alleged quality. I have a 35 Fountain now , great boat , I love it , and I often see posts that are critical of Fountains on this and other sites. Trust in your own instincts and what appeals to you. I often look at the profiles of those opinion posters and find they have a different brand , a very old model , a family bow rider , or don't even own one at all ---- and ask myself where exactly does their opinion come from. If we all wanted the same thing in a boat there would be one model / brand and we would all own it !

BTW if your buddy's 32 AT is a non step bottom , I'm not sure on that , the ride is likely similiar. That profiling thing. To relate the IMP Viper to the Scarab line ---- about the same as the 30 Panther ---- Still a good looking and running boat !

32storm 04-02-2006 10:27 AM

Like any older boat, you should consider a survey. My neighbor looked at a low hours '88 IMP 31, that failed the survey. It had rotted stringers in the engine compartment. Was a surprize as boat had been lift stored in a boathouse from new.

Ing 04-02-2006 10:51 AM

My best friend owned a new one, I think about a 1990 in Utica, NY. I believe the dealer was in Cicero or Constantia, NY. Regardless of whatever anyone says or stickers, the hull is 30 foot and several inches. I think 30' 8". Adding the platform was a gimmick to claim a larger boat. As far as performance, my buddies boat had twin 7.4 liter, 300 hp’s with Bravos and ran right at 65 on radar and that was with the fiberglass radar arch that was available as an option. He beefed up the engines to 450hp and the boat ran 73-75mph. It is a heavy boat. The boat was marketed as a stretched Aronow design with a true deep vee with 24 degree deadrise. The boat road and handled like a Cadillac in any water conditions. We use to hop large boat wakes (we were younger and dumber) and the hull flew straight and level and re-entered without a pounding. The fit and finish of the boat was less than a true custom shop but on par with most companies at the time like Scarab, Baja and Checkmate. My buddies boat I believe is still running in central NY (Oneida Lake). It was teal over white with McCleod bolsters. My opinion a great ride and if you can get a good deal worth the investment. You may be able to google or back order Powerboat magazine because I know they did a couple evaluations in the early 90's. Pay for a proffesional marine survey to make sure. Good luck.