Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ocean express (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/12517-ocean-express.html)

tizbad4 12-21-2001 11:46 PM

Anyone know the weight of a 1983 39 express?

suncat 12-22-2001 01:06 PM

Tizbad, weights (hull and deck only)were around 6000lbs, so with big blocks, arnesons, interior, etc, etc and a partridge in a pear tree she should weigh around 10000 maybe 11000, they do gain weight (and lose it as they dry out)periodically.
Adam

Madcow 12-22-2001 10:22 PM

11000 lbs? Is that a cat or a dog? Oh, hi Greg. I saw my first 39 express today. That thing is MONSTER! Good luck docking that thing at 4:00 in the morning. I can see it now. transom scraped up, and a sign next to it saying "the captain was here" :D

glassdave 12-23-2001 12:09 AM

WOOO HOOOO . . .7 PAGES, ALRIGHT MADCOW!!! . . .ITS OK IF TIZ SCRAPES UP THE TRANSOM.MY SHOP RATE DOUBLES FOR REPEAT REPAIRS.AN IM IN THE MARKET FOR A NEW BOAT (SOMBODY HAS TO PAY FOR IT, I MEAN BESIDES ME)
:D :D :D :rolleyes: :cool: :D

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: glassdave ]

Scott 12-23-2001 08:52 AM

can't believe you guys got this up to 7 pages. I think someone has way too much time on there hands. :rolleyes:

tizbad4 12-23-2001 09:35 AM

O.K. thats it now its setteled...............im using vinyl graphics. I dont want to buy a boat for u dave , vinyl is cheaper to replace, 10 year guarantee, quick repair..............I bet I could even repair it before anyone woke up...ya thats it. Thanks madcow for the
imput :eek: :cool: ;) :D And leave the captain out of this hes a good friend.

suncat 12-23-2001 12:35 PM

The older 39's were built strong and to last, that's why theres still a 39' cat from 19 years ago still around! The other "lighter" cats that are out there can't make that boast. Our new 38'(10'6" beam) with big blocks, and either bravo's or arnesons full cabin, dry weigh in at about 8000lbs. We know how to build them even lighter (you take all the materials that you would normally use, and make sure half of them are still in the pile when your done)but out laminate schedule has been proven for over two decades now, and were not about to sacrifice any broken (spelled lawsuit!) boats over a few mph.
;) ;)

glassdave 12-23-2001 12:51 PM

teel ya what adam.i crawled up in the sponsons of tizbads 39, an i was impressed.you guys have unbelievable attention to detail when it comes to construction.that thing is BUILT like a brick you know what house.the glass work on the stringers,bulkheads and deck/hull seam was impresive .safe to say this boat will be around for a long time.if you took all the stress cracks and measured them end to end on the entire boat you would have about about a foot and a half, lets see you do that with any other twenty year old boat.looking forward to comeing up to the shop again.maybe in january :cool: :cool:

phatkat 12-23-2001 01:50 PM

Tell you what Adam, I came up to your factory with Phatkat to get balsa and resin to repair our 39 and was quite impressed with the work also(besides the fact that I love the smell of curing resin)It can't be easy getting just the right thickness of glass to be light enough for speed and strong enough for structural strength. I love our 39. People come out of the woodwork and beg for a ride. We've never had a boat before that gets that much attention.Love those Cats!

Nagivator 12-23-2001 01:53 PM

Oops sorry Phatkat I forgot to login! ;)