Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ocean express (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/12517-ocean-express.html)

jeff1000man 09-13-2007 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2269995)
:cool-smiley-011:

?? :readinghelp:

Madcow 09-13-2007 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2269995)
:cool-smiley-011:

Another blast from the past!:violent-smiley-045:

jeff1000man 09-13-2007 10:38 AM

OK I get it

Chris Sunkin 09-13-2007 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2269973)
Anyone know about this Ocean Express. I am just hearing about this brand recently. Love this layout and the fact that you can fill it full of people and run over 100.

What about them for longevity. I have been burned on old boats before, but really like them. They don't make them like this anymore.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17532-en.html

The boats have been built in Michigan by a guy by the name of Ross Focht for many years. They were one of the earliest race cats. Originally called ACTIVE, they later became Express and then Ocean Express. Ross has had diferent financial partners from time to time.

The pleasure versions are well-built boats- a bit on the heavy side and basically the same hull as the early boats- lots of freeboard. Very nice ride but there's a substantial speed penalty when compared with something like a Skater or Nor-Tech of equivalent size & power. Alot less expensive though. I've never see or heard of a hull breaking on an Express pleasure boat. In the early 80's, they had some issues with the new AME resin and I seem to recall several hulls that had to be re-decked. By now, any boat with one of those issues has either been remedied or is gone.

Some might think that the hull and interior may be dated- especially in comparison with some of the MTI/Nor-Tech designs. I guess for the additional 500 grand, you should get something fancy. I like them just fine- they have sort of a classic, timeless look. If you like a 35 flatdeck better than a Cafe, you know what I mean. Most have Arneson ASD-8's with the drop boxes but I've seen a few with 6's. The Arneson's work very well and are definitely trouble-free. The Express has a distinctive transom- It has a little doghouse extending back from the actual transom, the same approximate width as the tunnel. This is for mounting the steering componentry for the Arneson's While it's called a 39, the boat is actually a 37- 39 feet includes the transom box. (hey, if it works for Reggie, it should work for Ross.)

I've never spoken to anyone who owned one who regretted it or had anything bad to say about the boat.

The boat in the classifieds certainly looks clean and appears to be all original. As far as 100MPH, well, that might be a bit optimistic. Maybe low 90's with light fuel and a little chop.

An early Active-

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/CTS1489/xprs.jpg

Queenruler 09-13-2007 02:19 PM

The Menace's 39 "Pure Adrenaline" is for sale. It is picture pefect. The way it is set up now it is 120 +.

Chris Sunkin 09-13-2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Queenruler (Post 2270424)
The Menace's 39 "Pure Adrenaline" is for sale. It is picture pefect. The way it is set up now it is 120 +.

The one in question, at 90+MPH, is probably insurable for an experienced performance boater/first-time cat owner. At 120, fast cat experience would be a pre-requisite for any of the few remaining insurers to even talk to you. I'd actually be afraid to buy a cat without experience. It seems more and more these boats are getting written by insurers just to be cancelled shortly afterwards. It would suck to have an uninsurable boat.

glassdave 09-13-2007 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2270003)
?? :readinghelp:

yep . . . i started this thread a LONG time ago . . . .ahhh yes . . . . the first of the superthreads(back than 20+ pages was somethin) soon to be over shadowed by Apache, whats in a name :D :D glad to see it pop back up

butch ryan 11-06-2007 06:59 PM

Great

Originally Posted by suncat (Post 141673)
Vonwolske, I will answer your question with the information that I know. If I have left anything out or omitted anyone’s name then I apologize in advance.
Back in the late 1970’s, my dad (Ross E. Focht, Sr.) ran a division of Active Homes. His boss at the time showed an interest in a vee-bottom that my dad and his brother (Larry Focht) had bought (The Super Banana – a 27’ magnum as I am told it was) so, under instructions from his boss, my dad went to Florida and purchased an old vee-bottom that they first raced – the original green Activator. As my dad raced he met different people, and since his background was in construction (albeit homes, not boats) he was able to lend his talents and learn a lot about designing vee-bottoms from different people (I am told that the main people he listened and learned from were the late Don Aronow, and the late James Beard) My dad was convinced that he could design a vee-bottom that ran better than the one they had so they went ahead and lofted a plug, then built the mold and finally built their own first vee-bottom race boat – again the Activator. My dad saw people’s interest in racing and decided to sell his new vee-bottoms to the public as pleasure boats. It was at this time that James Beard of Cougar of England brought over one of his first wooden cougar cats and my dad went for a ride in it and was convinced that the catamarans were better. Now one thing you have to understand is that at the time vee’s were built of ‘glass and cats’ were built of wood. There was no comparison, the vee’s were stronger and held together in rough water whereas the cats did not. This is where the stereotype that vee’s are better rough water boats than cats started. This was only due to the fact that no one had ever built a cat out of fiberglass. My dad realized that even though cats were faster, more stable and required less throttle to achieve the same speeds as the vee bottoms, they needed to be built of the same material to really outshine them. So, he along with guidance from the engineers at Dupont came up with a laminate schedule and built the first all composite, cored catamaran in the world. The first time they raced the boat a lot of people had their eyes on that cat to see what it would do. When they dropped the flag, all the waiting, planning and work came to its fruition as the Express cat (which later went on to set a kilo record, national title and world championship all in the same year – a feat which I do not believe anyone has since done!) as it was called left the fleet behind and performed remarkably. Over the years many things have changed in cat designs, Skater came along and after experimenting with smaller boats, they looked at my dad’s first designs (PLEASE NOTE THAT SKATER DID NOT COPY OUR DESIGNS, HE ONLY STUDIED THEM AS REFERENCE AS ALL DESIGNERS DO WHEN COMING UP WITH SOMETHING NEW) We like to call Skaters first designs the second generation of cat designs, with our all new 38’, 43’ and 49’ the third generation designs. My dad over the years has had many partners under varying names: Active Marine, Active Catamarans, Image Boat Mfg (which built over 30 cats for Baja Boats), Express Marine, Express Catamarans, Ocean Express, Ocean Express Catamarans and finally today Ocean Express Powerboats. We have almost thirty years of experience in designs and just as importantly laminate schedules. (The main reason many of you are skipping around out there on boats of ours that are over 20 years old) I thank everyone who takes the time to read this; I hope that I have provided an accurate description of the beginning of composite catamarans. And again, if I have left anyone out I should have mentioned, please email me with your story and I will be more than happy to edit this post. Thanks all,
Adam
;)

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Adam Focht ]

GREAT READING ADAM

anchor 11-06-2007 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2269973)
Anyone know about this Ocean Express. I am just hearing about this brand recently. Love this layout and the fact that you can fill it full of people and run over 100.

What about them for longevity. I have been burned on old boats before, but really like them. They don't make them like this anymore.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17532-en.html

I have one for sale cheap. 2002 38, trailer, arneson 1600's, 572 CI 750 hp, paint, cabin, seats 7. 125,000. Let me know if you are interested.

jeff1000man 11-06-2007 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by anchor (Post 2329159)
I have one for sale cheap. 2002 38, trailer, arneson 1600's, 572 CI 750 hp, paint, cabin, seats 7. 125,000. Let me know if you are interested.

I am interested. I will PM you my email address.

Jeff