Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   liability only insurance question ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125462-liability-only-insurance-question.html)

cigarette275 03-21-2006 10:52 AM

liability only insurance question ?

just wondering is it possible to have boat insurance with liability coverage only without having to insure the vessel, hull, and engines on a Cig top gun ? I personally have never been a believer of ANY insurance and am only interested in protecting myself from hurting someone. Any thoughts ???? I know :eek: :eek:

Shore Thing 03-21-2006 10:57 AM

Re: liability only insurance question ?

i've had liability only insurance before through boatUS. It wasn't a performance boat though, so i don't know how that will affect it.

Tantrum 03-21-2006 10:57 AM

If you own the boat outright you can do whatever you want.
Check to see how it is broken out on your current policy, liability makes up most of my bill.

shawn 03-21-2006 11:01 AM

I insured my Spectre with Liability only. $3000 for the year vs $5500 with full coverage.

BAJA WILL 03-21-2006 11:02 AM

While I agree with you, you need to really think about all the Seadoos out there with no insurance, seriously a seadoo could total and sink your boat. What if some dumass takes your boat out (with out you knowing) and kills someone, trust me they are coming after who has the money not who is at fault, (i know), I think you need to think this one over hard.

My boat is the only thing I have full coverage on!!

WILL

fund razor 03-21-2006 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by cigarette275
just wondering is it possible to have boat insurance with liability coverage only without having to insure the vessel, hull, and engines on a Cig top gun ? I personally have never been a believer of ANY insurance and am only interested in protecting myself from hurting someone. Any thoughts ???? I know :eek: :eek:

You "protect yourself from hurting someone" through your actions.

You protect yourself from getting hurt by someone you hurt with a liability policy.

While my boat is fully insured because I can't afford to replace it out of pocket, I also carry a personal liability umbrella policy.

I am protected against being sued regardless of what activity I am taking part in. Boating, driving, walking, whatever.

A little something from Chapmans: "A new skipper proceeds as if nothing will go wrong. An experienced skipper proceeds as if everything will go wrong."

Tantrum 03-21-2006 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
A little something from Chapmans: "A new skipper proceeds as if nothing will go wrong. An experienced skipper proceeds as if everything will go wrong."

I think that same rule can be applied when taking your boat in for any maintenance issue :drink: :drink:

LostinBoston 03-21-2006 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
I also carry a personal liability umbrella policy.

I am protected against being sued regardless of what activity I am taking part in. Boating, driving, walking, whatever.

Ditto. Its the only insurance i have on the boat.

fund razor 03-21-2006 11:34 AM

I figure that in this day and age... a lawsuit is probably one of the biggest threats. :(

lucky strike 03-21-2006 01:20 PM

Where can I get a personal liability umbrella policy ?
My co. doesn't offer it while in a speed boat.
I have my Cigarette fully covered.
I also have a 31 Sutphen & would like an umbrella policy to cover me when I'm out in it.

LS