Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I heard it gets rough over 40 didn't expect this! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125910-i-heard-gets-rough-over-40-didnt-expect.html)

LubeJobs42 03-26-2006 08:22 PM

I heard it gets rough over 40 didn't expect this!

Last week I was on a cruise, it was my 40th birthday. On my birthday I had a lot of trouble breathing. I have asthma so it was nothing new. By Friday when I got off the ship I could bearly walk. I went right from the ship to Guardado Marine to check the progress of my boat (I have prioretys). They are doing a great job. I went from Guardado to the Emergency room. After some Xrays and test it turns out I wasn't having an asthma attack, I had congestive heart failiure and was immediatly admitted where i am still sitting for god know how long. After EKG's and sonagrams it turns out. My heart is only working at 10% capacity and it's 1.5 time larger then it's supposed to be. My lungs backed up with fluid fro the heart not pumping properly. Tomorrow or Tues I'm being transfered to a Hospital more equiped for Cardiac procedures. Next they do the fun, enjoyable catharasation where the send a camera to the heart.
I knew life got ruff over 40 but I would have assumed AFTER 40 not on the actual day! Anyway, I will not be in Sarasota next weekend.
It never fails, just when it seems things are going well, life is good, New boat to look forward to, life throws you a curve ball. Good thing it happend like this, it could have been much worse. I will post update when I have them.

RollWithIt 03-26-2006 08:25 PM

Re: I heard it gets rough over 40 didn't expect this!

Damn Gino.. Sorry to hear this. Hope they can take care of it so you can get back out on the water soon. My thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery.

Audiofn 03-26-2006 08:27 PM

Get well soon!!!!

Brad Zastrow 03-26-2006 08:29 PM

Gino that sounds real serious. I am sure you will get the best of care. Get well real soon!

mboger 03-26-2006 08:30 PM

good luck prayers are with you

LambRB 03-26-2006 08:32 PM

Get well!!!

Playn 03-26-2006 08:34 PM

It's good that you know aout it now and can work at getting it taken care of. Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Keith & Sandi

Rippem 03-26-2006 08:35 PM

had a catheterization at 38 after abnormal EKG and chest pain with reduced blood uptake into the heart muscle during a Thalium scan (cardiology). Thalium scan is where you get IV thalium (contrast/dye) and they put you on a treadmill and take your heart rate to the max, and look for sufficient blood supply into the muscle with imaging.

Cardiac catheterization is not a camera into the heart...

a catheter is introduced and advanced to just above the heart to deliver large amounts per sec. of contrast (x-ray dye) into the cardiac arteries to look for blockage of blood flow to the heart with flouroscopy (live X-ray).

ask for the Brachial approach (wrist or arm) (if your a good candidate) for the cardiac catheter introduction, as opposed to femoral. Trust me...

been there done that as a patient, and have been a Radiology tech for eleven years.

I was "clean" (no blockage) but because of my symptoms and the other failed tests...arterial blockage had to be ruled out. My problem was/is all related to my hypertension (high blood pressure). I'm on a beta-blocker since then to slow my heart rate and thus lower blood pressure. Reducing stress is a BIG BIG help. All is well for me now. :cool:

Good luck to you!

Tricky919 03-26-2006 08:37 PM

Get Well.............

WeaponX 03-26-2006 08:38 PM

That's a bad deal get well and back on the throttles. :evilb: