Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stepped Hull Vs Straight Hull (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125924-stepped-hull-vs-straight-hull.html)

Scott 03-27-2006 03:37 PM

Re: Stepped Hull Vs Straight Hull

Originally Posted by ApacheCarl
I agree.

The question should be:

2 boats of equal weight, one stepped, one straight bottomed, which is better in rought water ?

Great point and I have no apples to apples experience to compare. My model does have a straight hull version but I have never ridden in one so I would be assuming and that's not what any of us want to hear.

But the TG comparison above may be a good one :cool: I'm sure there are plenty of Cig guys on here that have owned both models.

With all that shoved aside lets be realistic they both have pluses and minuses that we could discuss over and over. And I will be the first to say I wish my boat weighed more than it does because I do not crush waves so I have learned and still learning how to run and throttle across them this is where I am fortunate that I can run flat.

I wish I could afford an "old School" 900hp wave crusher I'm sure they have a ride like no other and I would never try to compare my boat to anything like that. It is what it is :drink: and I like it :D

Semper Fi 03-27-2006 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=thedonz]

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
A stepped hul (in most applications) will fly more level in rough water

I really disagree with that very much

jr mike

You have a right to disagree. Like I said, "in most cases" this is true. I have been in a 42' straight bottom Tiger and HavasuCigs' 38' TS Top Gun and the TS gun flew alot more level and required practically no tabs to keep fyling level. The Tiger neede alot of tab to fly level and to stop the porpoising...which was alot.
I am not saying one is overall better than the other. I was stating my opinion, from real facts from my own experience. What I have noticed in my experience in stepped bottom boats (like I said, most of them, not all of them) fly more level.
Most people who own (owned) a 38' or 42' non-stepped Cig with power (750+hp per motor) can tell you that they do porpoise alot.

sakoutis3 03-27-2006 03:45 PM

Asking which hull is better is like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better.
Talk to twenty people and you'll get 20 different oppinions.

Semper Fi 03-27-2006 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ApacheCarl
So a step bottom boat is better in rough water than a straight vee ??????

I said, in most cases. Not all cases. It has been my experience, especially in the Cigarette's. I am not knocking non-stepped boats (I have a 33' PP, non-stepped :D ).

I wouldn't consider Apache in that comment, mostly because I have never been in a stepped Apche (they don't make one, do they?) I have been in Geronimo, the 41' Apache and it was a wave crusher, no doubt.

LostinBoston 03-27-2006 03:56 PM

A stepped bottom V should run with less bow lift in all conditions, which is why it should fly flat, vs a straight bottom V which requires bow lift to "air out" the hull which could cause a rougher ride in big water.
thats the "theory" behind it. doesnt always happen that way though.

rouxsterre 03-27-2006 04:04 PM

Read the thread entitled "Great Moments in V Bottom History". . . there is some lively debate on this very topic.

WildWarrior 03-27-2006 04:18 PM

Stepped hulls are not as forgiving as as straight bottoms as far as driver error is concerned, but for the most part they do tend to run flatter and they are also faster with the same hp .
Straight bottoms wont usually hook at speed, even if you loose bite on your outside prop in relation to your turning direction, she will just start to plow and slow down pretty fast.
In a stepped hull it's way different at speed , in a turn it is like ridding a rail and if you have an emergency turn most people get into trouble simply because they pull back on the sticks instead of adding power as she starts bitting hard, and some also don't have a clue of their horizon .
Its just like letting off the gas at speed around a turn in your car, it UN loads your chassi and you spin out.
My Cat has a stepped hull and when trimmed correctly will turn safely at over100mph . As a a passenger in Tres Martins stepped 36' Cigarette we made many a tight turn pulling what felt to be several gs at over 85mph and we were perfectly safe and in 100% control. I think it all has to do with knowing and respecting our own, and our boats limitations.
Stepped hulls are here to stay ,it's up to us the driver to learn how to operate them correctly, they defiantly don't respond the same way our straight bottom boat's do..

fund razor 03-27-2006 04:45 PM

This thread is hilarious. :D

Everybody is pretty much agreeing that they are all pretty much saying the same thing.
Heavy boats good in rough. Steps run flatter, faster, and with less HP than straights. Steps can spin out if you forget she's flying. And boats are cool.
Yep.... everybody pretty much on the same page. :D
Actually experiences may vary.

Downtown42 03-27-2006 04:51 PM

where T2x :evilb:

Hydrocruiser 03-27-2006 04:52 PM

-Rough Water...a heavy 24 degree old school Cigarette or Apache' any day of the week.

-Moderate to mild seas....a stepped hull is great to break the suction and get moving without the NEED for big power.

One thing that may have been missed.... length matters a lot. A 47' Fountain with steps can hold it's own vs. an Old school 38'er.

Reggie will tell anyone who asks that he gets nervous when he is in his stepped boats unless he is driving...that speaks volumes. Ask Dave Brown...I think he mentioned that to him as well as to me. In a split second going 90+ MPH you can be airborne...it is risky business just combining that degree of speed on water...steps or no steps.