Stepped Hull Vs Straight Hull

Notices

Stepped Hull Vs Straight Hull

Old 03-27-2006, 06:57 AM
sandman
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stepped Hull Vs Straight Hull

I recently bought a 32' nordic with a straight hull. During one of the discussions in the forum that question was asked of me but no further elaboration.
I know what a stepped hull looks like, but what are the differences in handling, turning, pros and cons? Is one better than the other for certain applications?......Casey
Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Registered

Default Re: Stepped Hull Vs Straight Hull

Simply put, the stepped hull has a section missing from the bottom. When turning the boat it will lean more because of the missing section, this additional lean along with other factors (trim, tabs, speed, water, CG) can cause the boat to lose control without warning. This has been a topic for debate for a while.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sandcraft
I recently bought a 32' nordic with a straight hull. During one of the discussions in the forum that question was asked of me but no further elaboration.
I know what a stepped hull looks like, but what are the differences in handling, turning, pros and cons? Is one better than the other for certain applications?......Casey
The main benefit is a good stepped hull will be faster than a straight hull.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From your other thread, I posted this there as well.

It's been a big debate since the introduction of stepped bottoms, and everyone has an opinion, but generally speaking stepped bottom boats will be faster than their equivalent non-stepped counterparts, however they are inherently less stable - for the same reasons that they are faster, by introducing aeration and turbulance at the running surface, they also provide less lateral stability. The biggest difference is how they handle turns. Driving techniques are a little different, especially with how you trim the drives going into and during turns. Of course, it varies greatly from boat to boat. There are some very good, successful stepped bottom boats out there, there are also some poor ones, which can be downright dangerous.
Which is which?.....I stay out of that debate.

You can rest assured that you're in a pretty stable platform being that it is a traditional straight deep vee.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I woudn,t say twin-steps are less stable. They actually provide a much better, smoother and stable ride, plus they are faster.Their downside? You have to be more careful while turning. If you turn the boat at speed aggressively, you can hook and spin.If you drive the boat properly, they are fine.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandcraft
Casey,
Stepped hulls were introduced to make them faster through increased hydrodynamic efficiency. Generally speaking, that has been true. Some of the 1st generation step hulls had some problems with spinning out when turning. Even the more refined 2nd and 3rd generation versions require different turning techniques (generally leveling the drives) than similar straight vees do.
With the horsepower your boat is running (plenty), you will be fine with the straight vee, and it will be easier for you to learn to drive.
BTW, I'm not taking sides here either (I have a step hull/have owned both), just trying to help explain the situation to one of our new members.
Steve
Old 03-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the difference between stepped and notched? or are they the same thing?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

stright hull..... enough said

jr mike
Old 03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Registered

No matter how many times you ask this question on how many threads....
CigDaze has still given you the most useful answer that you can expect.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:57 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

People talk about how stepped hulls turn poorly, which might be true. I think it has more to do with how the outside chines are turned down or if the boat has huge chines. Another thought, when you look at Reggie's kilo run, almost none of the boat was in the water. So does it matter if that boat had a stepped hull? When you start going fast in a vee, the biggest thing for stability (control) is having matched/balanced props and a balanced bottom.

Quick Reply: Stepped Hull Vs Straight Hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.