Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dangers of Tunnel Tab on 36 Spectre Cat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125997-dangers-tunnel-tab-36-spectre-cat.html)

Brad Zastrow 03-28-2006 02:10 PM

Re: Dangers of Tunnel Tab on 36 Spectre Cat?

I have seen a few Spectres with the tunnels tab. I personally would take it off the boat.

24skaterVA 03-28-2006 03:40 PM

Why do I feel like there is going to be a test in the morning. Very good reading, I just learned a WHOLE lot about tunnel tabs. Thanks guys.

TeamSaris 03-28-2006 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No problems here!! Ever.

H20 Toie 03-29-2006 10:02 AM

So have you signed up for the class with Tres yet?

Andy01 03-29-2006 11:16 AM

I have a big tab on my 05 30' Spectre and love it. I don't use it at all above 80 ish. I lift it as the boat lifts. I only use it to reduce the porpoise at that magic speed. But like I said I lift it as I go faster, use what tab is needed and that is it. When I lay the sticks all the way forward I have already lifted the tab past neutral. PM Maximus with your number he will give you some great advice and you can call Jay at Spectre he will be more then happy to give you some advice. And both of those guys won't give you advice on how to go faster with a tab rather how to use it for what it is on your boat for.

Andy

Andy01 03-29-2006 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by h20 toie
So have you signed up for the class with Tres yet?

How much is the Tres class? How long and where is it located?

H20 Toie 03-29-2006 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Andy01
How much is the Tres class? How long and where is it located?

It is a two day class and $2500 he is in florida but has been going to other states to give the class. i took it in California. if you get 4 people together he will try and give the class near you.

He is real easy to talk to just give him a call.
http://www.performanceboatschool.com/

It was alot of money for me to spend but i will tell you that i think it is more than worth it. unlike some people here i don't know everything about boats and the stuff he covers is for both TS and cats.

Tantrum 03-29-2006 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
No problems here!! Ever.

Ets good...sometimes it only takes ONE :bunny:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 03-29-2006 03:45 PM

One thing I learned in the smaller boats and it has stuck in my head ever since.....

While running a tunnel boat at speed and the compression in the tunnel gets so great that the boat feels flighty, as much as your head tells you to back off the throttles you have to fight it. You need to literally drive out of it and tuck the drives in a bit to bring the bow down.
If you were to chop the throttles, the transom would then drop, cutting off the exit for the air in the tunnel which then would cause an instant blow over or barrel roll depending on where the greatest lift is at the moment...

I am not sure what it would take to do that in a bigger boat, but the smaller ones, it could happen as little as 60 mph...

Also, Pat Patel & Doug Lewis flipped in testing due to a tunnel tab at high speed.
As you see, it can happen to the best of us.
Take the advice, once running at high speed, leave the tab up...
Also, Tres's course sounds like a great one!
Best of luck!

open87 03-29-2006 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tantrum
Showoff....using his big college theories.... :D

Well said CD :drink: :drink:

:D:D