Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
CG Documentation Service or do it yourself? >

CG Documentation Service or do it yourself?

Notices

CG Documentation Service or do it yourself?

Old 03-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CG Documentation Service or do it yourself?

Anybody know offhand which forms I need to use to simply change the documentation and title a used boat that I bought. (it was documented).
So far I have filled out the CG-1258. Is that all I need?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Did it myself twice in the past 5 years. Stupid simple and only cost me $141 total each time direct to the folks in W. Virginia who also answered my questions when I called up.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it youself, carry copies of all submitted forms and the check$$$ on board. You should have your docs in a month for less than $150.00.

The "man" would have to be a real a-hole to right you prior to receipt if you have all copies and everything is up to par on the boat.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it myself. The forms are very easy. If you have a question call them and they will answer everything. Save the $300 for gas!

As far as which form for transfering, I'd call just to be sure. I am thinking it's the same form, just check a different box and send in the old certificate and the bill of sale.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Registered

Smile Re: CG Documentation Service or do it yourself?

I hired mine to be done , & glad I did . the coast guard rejected my name [BAD - ASS ] . The person I hired had to appeal their decision 2 different times an after 6 months they said o.k. The coast guard still gives me dirty looks when I go by , so for me it was worth the money!!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Is it required in other states to have the state sticker with coast gaurd Doc??? We live in Iowa and they told us we needed state DNR sticker even if we are registered with CG.. Just wondering if it is the same elsewhere.....
Old 03-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

they're just looking for income in the state. at the very least a reggie...at the most, sales tax

also, when financing, alot of lenders want it done by a service and the apps filled out before they'll close.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are stopped and your papers are not correct you are in deep doo-doo. In my book, the few bucks it costs is worth the peace of mind.

I was checked a few weeks ago by a boat load of coasties. We were setting by the marker on Big Carlos Pass waiting for about 15 boats to come out for our FMO fun run.
The large Coastie cruiser pulled up about 1/4 mile away and splashed the large raft with a crew of 6. They immediately headed toward us.

Great bunch of guys. The Skater got them talking about the OSS races in Fort Myers (mostly among themselves) and how they were looking forward to them. So as one guy was on the radio giving the cruiser our info the others continued talking about racing. They were so into their conversation we couldn't get a word in edge wise. My crew consisted of Bob Morgan (Big Thunder) and his wife Sue. These guys were so into racing, I would have loved to have seen their faces if they would have been introduced.

Last edited by expresscat39; 03-29-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xhere
Is it required in other states to have the state sticker with coast gaurd Doc??? We live in Iowa and they told us we needed state DNR sticker even if we are registered with CG.. Just wondering if it is the same elsewhere.....
In Indiana we have to have the sate sticker but no state numbers, only the CG's numbers.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:32 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Payton
In Indiana we have to have the sate sticker but no state numbers, only the CG's numbers.
Same here in Missouri. Around here it used to be thought that it was a big money savings, now they changed some laws so not so sure. Guess I need to find out before I get busy on mine.

Quick Reply: CG Documentation Service or do it yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.