Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup >

ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

Notices

ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

Old 05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

my electric brakes are constantly giving me pains in the azz, what is the least problematic brake set up? can you back up ok with surge brakes? is there a good place to buy em on line? thanks for any advice, rm
Old 05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake s

Originally Posted by ratman
my electric brakes are constantly giving me pains in the azz, what is the least problematic brake set up? can you back up ok with surge brakes? is there a good place to buy em on line? thanks for any advice, rm
UH OH - nothing, um, BAD, happened, did it?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Registered

Default Re: ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake s

no accidents, but they quit working all the time, i replaced all four drum assms a few months ago and they got weaker and weaker and then nothing, i went thru everything and still nada, took it to a trailer repair place today, they said they had it fixed but didnt tow it anywhere to test them and they still dont work. im tired of screwing with the electric deals as the are the worst choice for dipping in salt water. so before i spend any more cash on this crap i just want to convert to stainless disc set ups, but was wondering what alternatives i have for the tongue set up, staight surge brakes or electric over hydraulic, etc. was wondering if there is a discount online brake supply co. i can order everything i need from. thx, rm
Old 05-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

http://etrailerpart.com/

http://www.championtrailers.com/

Electric/Hydraulic seems to be the best choice
Old 05-02-2006, 05:51 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

Electric brakes are a PIA on boat trailers. I switched to Surge brakes with Discs. Very reliable for the past five years. One set of new pads and 1 new backup lockout solenoid is the only maintenance I have had to do
Old 05-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow for a living and electric over hydraulic is the only setup that I would use on a personal trailer
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes..electric over Hyd....works great!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
Im on my 2nd trailer with surge disc brakes. You can back up perfectly as long as you have the set up with the solenoid that a part of the wiring. When your back up lights go on, it activates the solenoid and does not let brake fluid close the brakes.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with your DMV laws. In some states the maximum weight allowed with surge brakes would be exceeded by your mistress (boat). You would have to have electric.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Registered

what brand of electric over hydraulic controllers are the best/most reliable? i have 7k lb axles and 8 lug 16" wheels and haven't seen any stainless discs or calipers in this large size, how well do the e coated or silver cadmiums set ups deal with salt water if they are rinsed after each use? thx, rm

Quick Reply: ive had it with my electric trailer brakes! what is the least problematic brake setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.