Notices

My Worst Boating Day Yet

Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy My Worst Boating Day Yet

Had a sea trial yesterday as part of a survey on a 115' Norship. Gorgeous yacht, 25' beam, 1800 hp MTU diesels, 2 generators, all the whistles and bells, worth about $4 million.

Very rough seas yesterday, the mega-yacht with her Niaid stabilizers handled it beautifully and was amazing in every respect.

About three miles out we lose power in one engine, then a few seconds later the other. Then both generators shut off about 30 seconds from each other. We start rocking so violently from side-to-side that the interior of the boat starts self-distructing. We can't figure out why everything stopped because you can't make your way down to the engine room. There was no power to lower the anchors, so we finally lowered one manually to get the boat at least pointed in the right direction.

For three hours we bobbed along like a cork. I was okay the first hour, but I became so seasick I prayed for the Good Lord to let me die. Finally SeaTow came out with two boats and brought us back in.

Turns out the fuel transfer pump failed and couldn't refill the day-tanks that we were running from. We had 700 gallons on board, but couldn't get it to the tanks it needed to be in.

I have been queasy before, but never as ill as I was yesterday.
I was considering changing my line of work!
Old 03-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: My Worst Boating Day Yet

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Had a sea trial yesterday as part of a survey on a 115' Norship. Gorgeous yacht, 25' beam, 1800 hp MTU diesels, 2 generators, all the whistles and bells, worth about $4 million.

Very rough seas yesterday, the mega-yacht with her Niaid stabilizers handled it beautifully and was amazing in every respect.

About three miles out we lose power in one engine, then a few seconds later the other. Then both generators shut off about 30 seconds from each other. We start rocking so violently from side-to-side that the interior of the boat starts self-distructing. We can't figure out why everything stopped because you can't make your way down to the engine room. There was no power to lower the anchors, so we finally lowered one manually to get the boat at least pointed in the right direction.

For three hours we bobbed along like a cork. I was okay the first hour, but I became so seasick I prayed for the Good Lord to let me die. Finally SeaTow came out with two boats and brought us back in.

Turns out the fuel transfer pump failed and couldn't refill the day-tanks that we were running from. We had 700 gallons on board, but couldn't get it to the tanks it needed to be in.

I have been queasy before, but never as ill as I was yesterday.
I was considering changing my line of work!
Attached Thumbnails My Worst Boating Day Yet-humor_3957.jpg  
Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it could have been worse! I never thought about losing anything from the bottom end.
My stomach was sore this morning after what I put it through.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF

JC, where's the plunger....
Old 03-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ed wtf no sea legs.... try rubbing ice on your face and chest next time, i tell this to all the land lubbers when they start hurling
Old 03-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Bummer !

LS
Old 03-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Registered

Sounds like quite a day...I like to think that for every bad day on the water, there are a thousand great days. In that case, you should have better luck the next time out!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:27 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

DAYUM!! Sorry for your luck Ed!! I dread the day that I ever get seasick!! At least from what I've heard!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Registered

I grew up on the water so I always had pretty good sea legs and dont get motion sickness. But. The closest I came was after surfacing from a dive, my stomach started to get a little queesy while bobbing on the dive boat till we got moving. Drinking water helped. They say its common from breathing the compressed air and having the salty taste in your mouth..
Old 03-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ratman
ed wtf no sea legs.... try rubbing ice on your face and chest next time, i tell this to all the land lubbers when they start hurling

IE.... women ???????

Quick Reply: My Worst Boating Day Yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.