Notices

Removing old exhaust tips

Old 01-31-2002, 11:18 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Removing old exhaust tips

Ok, I know it sounds easy...however in a attempt to remove them, they would not budge. These tips are the aluminum bell type. After removing the nuts and washers and just a little persuasion with a 2X6 and hammer they still would not move. I am guessing they are original and silcon adhesived in place. I am worried about gelcoat damage if I apply any more hammer persuasion. Any suggestions.

paul
Old 01-31-2002, 11:24 AM
Registered

i had the same issue once before and i just kept beating (around entire bell) and they came out. your right about the silicone holding them but it didn't hurt the gelcoat when they finally gave loose. hope you have same results and good luck
Old 01-31-2002, 11:34 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

there was s thread a few days ago about solvents to melt silicone glues, maybe that would help. I don't know if they would damage the gelcote or not though.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:39 AM
Registered

Try small wood wedges between the flange and the hull driven in a little at a time to break the grip of the sealer. Wedges might be available at hardware or Home Depot for installing/shimming door/window frames.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:44 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If they have been installed with something like 3M's 5200 adhesive (and many are), you will need to get them HOT. Can your boatbuilder/previous owner tell you what they used?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:53 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Great ideas guys! The boat is an 84 Baja Sport. There is evidence of silcon around the outside edge of the tip. What do mean by hot. Heat gun? How about using a propane torch on the INSIDE of the tip conducting the heat through the tip to soften the silcon. I like the wood wedge idea and probably will try that with some heat. Any more ideas out there?

Paul
Old 01-31-2002, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I used a block of wood and a 3 lb sledge/hammer to get mine out. It did damage my Gelcoat. I ended up getting the area around the exhaust holes re gelcoated. That really sucked, considering there was nothing wrong with the old ones, I just wanted a different style. I have a Baja 24 outlaw and I'm not sure what sealer was used.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I did the same thing at the end of last season on a '92 Baja. I used a thin putty knife with all the edges dulled so it wouldn't scratch the gel. Worked great, just took some time working all around the flange. Once you get all around the flange use a twisting motion to loosen it up and pull it out. My $.02
Old 01-31-2002, 12:49 PM
Registered

Yup KC baja has it. I started with a razor blade then utility knife blade then putty knife with side edge sharpened. Took awhile but easier than replacing the chunks of gelcoat that might come out with it if you dont.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:58 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks for the input guys. I WILL NOT for sure bang on the tips with a hammer. Gel coat work can get expensive. Putty knife, wood wedges,a little heat and alot of patience I think is the answer.

Paul

Quick Reply: Removing old exhaust tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.