Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Notices

Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Unsane,

Sunsations didn't have a full step until recently. The 288 was a partial step through the first strake until 2005 and the Dominator is the same way currently. The bottom of the boat only has a step pocket (15 inches or so on the first strake) and doesn't continue over to the other side like a full/ true step does. The new Dominator SS is a twin step hull but that boat is a 2006 model.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As most of you have probably guessed I am the surveyor that was with Kyle on the sea trial part of the survey.
We were both disappointed with the feedback we were getting from this boat. It has Latham steering rams with Teleflex cable at the helm. We were in flat water and the boat was bow steering! We were never over-trimmed, but it felt like this boat had way too much stern lift. I suspect that there is some play in the steering actuator that is causing the wheel to be very sensitive, or at least, contributing to the poor handling.
This was the first 28 ZX I have sea trialed, so I have no other one to compare.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
As most of you have probably guessed I am the surveyor that was with Kyle on the sea trial part of the survey.
We were both disappointed with the feedback we were getting from this boat. It has Latham steering rams with Teleflex cable at the helm. We were in flat water and the boat was bow steering! We were never over-trimmed, but it felt like this boat had way too much stern lift. I suspect that there is some play in the steering actuator that is causing the wheel to be very sensitive, or at least, contributing to the poor handling.
This was the first 28 ZX I have sea trialed, so I have no other one to compare.
Check this out Ed, former Donzi Test Driver seems to think it is a defective steering system that made it out on some of the 28Zs.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44375

-Kyle
Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Registered

I have been in and driven a few 28 ZX's and have never expierenced what you describe. Have also been in several comparable Baja's same size which I feel do not even have close to the quality ride of the 28ZX. Just my personal experience. Best of luck.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Registered

I had a 28ZX for 2 years with 350 Mags and full hydraulic and Kplanes. I thought the boat handled great in the big water of Lake Michigan. I never had a problem with too much lift or bow steer. This could definitely be a factor of what props you were running. They will have a huge affect on the boats handling. Were the props turning in or out?

You should ask boatme for an unbiased opinion. I ran next to his 38 cig a lot over the past years in some pretty snotty waters. (Not so say that I was faster than him! I was obviously not!Soc.gols8) He was surprised at how well I was running in that water with a 28' boat.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

kswest,
what year model was the donzi? Donzi made a lot of changes in 2002 to 2003. Full hyd, would make a big difference. they had a new model at the Miami boat show that was nice and it rode very well.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Registered

This one was 01.

Kyle
Old 04-06-2006, 11:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

look at the new 27 in the donzi forum. it looks like it is running very good.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This boat has dual-ram Bennetts with mechanical indicators and we kept them fully retracted because the boat felt like the LAST thing it needed was the bow DOWN! The drives were trimmed to 3 and 4 with little or no effect on the feel of the boat.
On that other site it is interesting what that Donzi guy said about the steering actuator.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by blume
look at the new 27 in the donzi forum. it looks like it is running very good.
Out of my price range and no twins but I hear they are developing a 31ZR that I'd be interested in looking at in a few years

Quick Reply: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.