Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/126733-donzi-28zx-stability-rough-calm-water.html)

kswest 04-06-2006 11:29 AM

Re: Donzi 28ZX Stability - Rough and Calm Water

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
On that other site it is interesting what that Donzi guy said about the steering actuator.

Plausible, or think it is the hull? - I guess I'll know after I look at the other one. - May have another survey for you to do :drink:

Edward R. Cozzi 04-06-2006 11:32 AM

Years ago when I had a 40' Hustler with a single step, I asked Paul Fiore, who developed the Hustler bottom, why there were no steps in the 32' Hustler. He said the boat would not be safe at the speeds it could hit WITHOUT the step and would be too much of a handfull to enjoy...much like the Donzi was for Kyle and me.

pappo 04-06-2006 01:54 PM

Are you sure the trim was working? 3 or 4 should have been way more trim than you'd ever need on that boat. Almost sounds be the way you're talking that the trim wasn't even working.

kswest 04-06-2006 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by pappo
Are you sure the trim was working? 3 or 4 should have been way more trim than you'd ever need on that boat. Almost sounds be the way you're talking that the trim wasn't even working.

One indicator wasn't working but Ed thought they were both working and the indicator wasn't. I agreed, there was a difference when it was adjusted.

pappo 04-06-2006 04:10 PM

Kswest,

I would look towards a different boat as something obviously is wrong with this boat. To me, it sounds like at least one of the trim pumps probably wasn't working causing the behavior. A stepped boat has different capabilities and characteristics as compared to a non-stepped hull. I would be very scared to run in a stepped boat that seemed to be very bow heavy as it will almost ensure that you'll spin out at some point. I can't imagine that you were seeing very good speeds out of that boat. With twin 350's I was seeing 72-73 mph. With twin 6.2's I would expect you to see a little bit better than that.

I would still recommend that you try another Donzi as I think they're a great buy in the used market compared to other boats. I think a lot of other people have suggested some other great boats like pantera and sunsation. You're likely to pay a lot more for the sunsation but those guys do make a hell of a boat. I can say that the 28ZX ran a lot better than a formula 303 I had.

As a former owner, I would buy one again if I were in the market for a 28 although you always want a bigger boat and bigger power!!! Thats why we all love this sport!

kswest 04-06-2006 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by pappo
Kswest,

I would look towards a different boat as something obviously is wrong with this boat. To me, it sounds like at least one of the trim pumps probably wasn't working causing the behavior. A stepped boat has different capabilities and characteristics as compared to a non-stepped hull. I would be very scared to run in a stepped boat that seemed to be very bow heavy as it will almost ensure that you'll spin out at some point. I can't imagine that you were seeing very good speeds out of that boat. With twin 350's I was seeing 72-73 mph. With twin 6.2's I would expect you to see a little bit better than that.

I would still recommend that you try another Donzi as I think they're a great buy in the used market compared to other boats. I think a lot of other people have suggested some other great boats like pantera and sunsation. You're likely to pay a lot more for the sunsation but those guys do make a hell of a boat. I can say that the 28ZX ran a lot better than a formula 303 I had.

As a former owner, I would buy one again if I were in the market for a 28 although you always want a bigger boat and bigger power!!! Thats why we all love this sport!

Thanks. This one is all by completely ruled out at this point. Unless I get some steal on it (sub $40s) to make it worth my while to fix it I will keep looking. I have a couple more to look at this weekend then I'll send Ed back out to make sure all checks out.

I haven't got the survey yet but Ed and I talked at length afterwards and the consensus was the ride was horrible, it needed some (2-3k ) work and was dirty as hell. Throw swapping out the steering on there + that maybe not fixing it and even the best of deals now looks bleek.

One of the others that someone posted up has a lot of the standard maintence work already done and a pretty nice paint scheme to boot.

Another is low hours and very clean (according to the owner, haven't seen it yet).

Neither have the 6.2s, but I doubt at this stage I'll notice 40HP anyway.

Moral of the story ... HIRE A DAMN GOOD SURVEYOR. The small fee you pay for their knowledge goes a long way when you are not doing $5k in repair work a couple weeks after getting your new boat.

Thanks again for all the replied. The power boating community puts the car / motorcycle community to shame with their willingness to help. In the past few days I have recd. at least a dozen offers to take me out on their boat ... thanks.

Shanghied Again 04-06-2006 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There could be a few factors one big one sounds like the props are turning in and not out. The 28 ZX runs with the props out and is very stable if you switch the props to turn in the boat runs faster but raises the bow and looses control.
Turning The props In
1) bow lifts leaving front step out of the water in return creates walk
2) she will drive loose almost out of control
3) you feel this most after 62mph
Turning the Props Out
1) Rear Lifts adding more control on the boat
2) You loose about 2mph off top end
3) very Stable front step is now introduced in the water for control
4) You need more trim to get the nose higher but you will run solid.
I see this all the time when guys want more speed, they turn the props in like a conventional hull and then the ride gets sacraficed.
The only thing that bewilders me is The Donzi is a 2001 and don't remember that year having 6.2s Scorpions yes 305s and 350 Mags but I didn't remember the Mercury 6.2s until 2003.

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 04-07-2006 07:14 AM

I already posted a few times on Donzi.net , It looks like your getting the info you need from both there & here.. I have been in the zx's & even supercharged them... They are a very good stable boat.... Someone had to have jerked something up either steering system wise or prop rotation wise... I also remember going out on a 33zx a few years ago with one of the test drivers from Donzi & talking about the 28zx. It was one of his favorite boats!! Jamie :)

UNSANE 04-07-2006 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
There could be a few factors one big one sounds like the props are turning in and not out. The 28 ZX runs with the props out and is very stable if you switch the props to turn in the boat runs faster but raises the bow and looses control.
Turning The props In
1) bow lifts leaving front step out of the water in return creates walk
2) she will drive loose almost out of control
3) you feel this most after 62mph
Turning the Props Out
1) Rear Lifts adding more control on the boat
2) You loose about 2mph off top end
3) very Stable front step is now introduced in the water for control
4) You need more trim to get the nose higher but you will run solid.
I see this all the time when guys want more speed, they turn the props in like a conventional hull and then the ride gets sacraficed.
The only thing that bewilders me is The Donzi is a 2001 and don't remember that year having 6.2s Scorpions yes 305s and 350 Mags but I didn't remember the Mercury 6.2s until 2003.

The one I rode in had Scorps with props turning in as well. Think it was an 02 or 03, but can't remember for sure.

32storm 04-08-2006 08:38 AM

I had the opportunity to drive a 28ZX with twin 350's. I ran it in a slight 1-2 chop. I was truly, very unimpressed with the boat. I thought the ride quality could not stack up against the Formula which I had at the time. I wasn't impressed with the handling, even with the external steering. It had descent speed for the power, I suspect it's due to the twin steps on such a short running surface is getting a lot of air under it.

It's too bad, as at the time, I could have bought the 28 for excellent $$$'s....but, just didn't like it, regardless of how good the $'s were.