Notices

Supporting 35' Fountian on boat lift

Old 04-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supporting 35' Fountian on boat lift

Greetings...

We are having a stationary boat lift constructed. The lift will have a bunk on each side to support the boat. They will be flat and rigid (They are 2x10s stood up on sides with carpeting.) The bunks will extend back to the transom.

Are 2 bunks sufficient support for a Fountain 35' Lightning? I am concerned about not putting a hook in the bottom of the boat.

My sincere thanks,

Joel
Old 04-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Supporting 35' Fountian on boat lift

Originally Posted by JoelHene
Greetings...

We are having a stationary boat lift constructed. The lift will have a bunk on each side to support the boat. They will be flat and rigid (They are 2x10s stood up on sides with carpeting.) The bunks will extend back to the transom.

Are 2 bunks sufficient support for a Fountain 35' Lightning? I am concerned about not putting a hook in the bottom of the boat.

My sincere thanks,

Joel
You should call fountain.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The best thing is to get a boat cradle, Myco makes them they are very nice and supports step bottoms the same way a trailer would. I assume you have a step bottom. I got one for my fountian from manning. If you dont have a step bottom the bunks would be fine.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered

I have my 35' Cig on 2X (2x12'rs) side-by-side attached with 6x (6") stainless bolts then stood on end covered with carpets on 16,000# lift that at one time held a 38' Formula on it. All measurements were taken off my trailer for proper fit to the outside strakes. A lot of the bow is hanging off the bunks, but this is the way all the performance boats I see on lifts are set-up and sitting. Mr Velocity here on OSO has done lifts like these and can give some good advice if you have any other questions or concerns.

|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| *-------------------------*-----------------------------* |
| *-------------------------*-----------------------------* |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
Attached Thumbnails Supporting 35' Fountian on boat lift-471146768tqynfu_ph.jpg  

Last edited by NJgr8ful; 04-05-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Joel, 2 things to make sure you have done:

1-The bunks MUST go out past the transom.
2- The back 12" of the bunk or so needs to be built up so that all the pressure is NOT on the edge of the steps in the hull bottom.

I have my 38TE Fountain on a 2 bunk lift and I had extra long bunks installed so they go past the transom. If you have the bunks stop before the transom like in NJg8ful's pic you will put a compression mark (indentation) in the hull in due time. This could and will cause handling problems and lose of speed.
Also have and extra piece of wood around 1-1.5" thick (depends on the size of the steps in the hull) added to the rear of the bunks so that it lifts the rear up and take all the pressure off the edge of the steps in the hull.

If you want I can take pictures of my bunks tomorrow and post them for you so you can see what I had done.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Greetings...

Thank you all so much for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

A cradle sounds like a great idea. I'd rather not spend the money if not nescessary. I have upgraded the dock and lift construction plans too many times already (added length to accomodate a larger boat, composite deck material, longer ramp from the shore...).

Absolutely, the bunks will extend beyond the back of the transom. Currently we use a Hydrohoist and added a 5/4" decking board to the bunk to accomodate the step (boat is a '97 single step). Seemed to be about perfect. Will do the same on the new lift. (The Hydrohoist uses bunks that are somewhat flexible and a pad under the keel towards the bow.)

Yes, I'd love to see any pictures you are willing to post.

Again, my sincere thanks for the replies.

Joel
Old 04-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Registered

Use 3x12x20' bunks rough cut so they are the full 3". Keep them cut square and place them under the strakes. If the boat has steps, then start building the bunks up for the 1st step, depending on the boat either 2x4 or 5/4 x 4 is what you'll need. For each step the "buildup boards" will be shorter and shorter. I'll have to see if I can find the pic of the bunks I built for a 42 OL, each step is a different height so it was a real pain.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Registered

Joel, call me @ 252-975-7048 and I will be glad to fax you a bottom diagram (for trailer manufacture). That way you can set up your bunks without having to measure your boat on the trailer.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Registered

This was bolted to the top of a 3x12x20 for a 42 OL. Since the lift was aluminum it took a lot of lead to sink it but at least the boat was well supported. These came off when the Myco cradle went on for the Skater.
Attached Thumbnails Supporting 35' Fountian on boat lift-bunks.jpg  
Old 04-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Joel, you have to be a Gold or Platium member to see pictures on this site. I could email them to you though.

Quick Reply: Supporting 35' Fountian on boat lift

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.