Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why are performance marine parts 100x more expensive than other performance parts? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/126781-why-performance-marine-parts-100x-more-expensive-than-other-performance-parts.html)

rdoactive 04-06-2006 08:23 AM

Re: Why are performance marine parts 100x more expensive than other performance parts?

It just seems that way because you have not compared them to aircraft parts.

pachangalpina 04-06-2006 08:28 AM

Re: Why are performance marine parts 100x more expensive than other performance parts?

In the PT days (pre Trick), you could buy aircraft parts cheaper. :eek:

CigDaze 04-06-2006 08:41 AM

Re: Why are performance marine parts 100x more expensive than other performance parts

Originally Posted by rdoactive

That's a whole other racket altogether. That 8130 Tag is worth gold.
;)

KiloKat 04-06-2006 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by rdoactive

You sure have this right! Makes boating seem pretty reasonable.

BeakBoater35 04-06-2006 09:16 AM

I guess it boils down to "they can get". Something to keep in mind:

Last year I needed a blower belt for one of my 525SCs manufactured by the folks that paint their HP motors dark blue. They wanted over $200. Went to an on-line marine parts discounter and they wanted well over $100. Copied the Gates part number off the belt, went to the local automotive parts store and they ordered the belt for me. Two days and less that $40 I had a brand new, exactly the same, blower belt.

Moral of the story: Some stuff like carbs, distributers...are different for marine applications vs automotive. No choice but to pay to play in those cases. BUT, a lot of stuff is generic and common to both. My blower belt is a classic example.

Originally Posted by kswest
Just curious ... Seems like all performance marine parts are at least 2x more expensive than their automotive counterparts; sometimes 20-30x more expensive.

Is it simple supply and demand, or demographics, or is there that much more put into marine performance parts to warrant the hefty premium?

-Kyle

ratman 04-06-2006 09:19 AM

Re: Why are performance marine parts 100x more expensive than other performance parts

That 8130 Tag is worth gold.
no doubt...chain of custotdy and the related paperwork and record keeping put that in its own league

CigDaze 04-06-2006 09:29 AM

That's exactly right, Rat.

Tricky919 04-06-2006 09:32 AM

Because were suckers...........

CigDaze 04-06-2006 09:42 AM

Taking another stance, in all fairness to the OEM's out there, there are many considerations which the consumer is not often aware of.

The consumer tends to look at a particular part, and think of the physical product in front of them -- the material, construction, assembly and the direct cost associated with that part alone.

It could be a belt, a piece of molded plastic, a bracket, etc. The question most often asked is What did the raw material and labor cost? How in the world can this simple piece cost so much? These are readily apparant recurring costs.

Considerations have to be made regarding the non-recurring costs at the component and at the assembly level - Engineering, testing, research and development, tooling and die costs, materials selection process, vendor selection process, etc.

Add to that non-apparent recurring costs like quality control and sampling testing, packaging and prep, shipping, inventory control, distribution, warehousing, warranty costs, dealer maintenance and training, liability and other associated insurances, legal fees, etc, etc, etc.

Think of all the thousands of hours spent by all those people to design, develop, and materialize a single part.

Couple that with tha fact that we're dealing with typically small production runs and lot sizes, and you can see why a seemingly simple part can cost so much.

Someone has to pay for all of that........and boy do we! :)

kswest 04-06-2006 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
What specific parts did you find more expensive?

Nothing in particular, just everything in general. After you mentioned exhaust manifolds on Tuesday I started looking around and found $3000 + for a set. Auto ones are $200 - $1000 at most. After that I kept looking and marine motors are $30k+ while auto are $5k+.

Guess the whole aircraft thing puts it in perspective. More expensive hobbies = more expensive hobbies....

:D