Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   TurboCharging the new 6.2s (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/12699-turbocharging-new-6-2s.html)

mama tryed 02-02-2002 08:48 PM

:cool: :cool: :cool:

HEY GUY'S, THANKS FOR THE IMPUT!! I HOPE MY FINGERS HOLD OUT FOR THIS! I PUT AROUND 60 MILES ON A RM250 TODAY! :( MAN, THATS HARD ON AN OLD MAN.

MR. PAYTON, WHAT KIND OF INCREASE IN PERFORMANCE DID YOU GET VS. THE STOCK SET-UP! WHAT KIND OF MAINTANCE, IS INVOLVED, IN THE TURBO'S THEMSELVES?

MR.WHIPPLE{don't squeeeeze the charmin} THE WHIPPLE WOULD BE A GREAT CHOICE , I LOVE THE OLD ROOTS STYLE PUFFER!!!!!!
THAT REMINDS ME OF MY OLD 66CHEVELLE!!!!! BUT AFTER PRICING ALL THE APPs it seems like the HAIR DRYER IS THE WAY TO GO.. BUT THEN AGAIN I DONT KNOW JACK.... ABOUT THEM!! I'VE READ THAT INSTALLNG THEM TAKES 45 MINUTES!!! yea right!!! I FIGURE 3 HOURS PER MOTOR!!!!!!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT!!!!

mama tryed 02-03-2002 06:37 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey Mr. Cat, "no harm done" I'm probably going back to far, but is the PLAYERS nightclub, still in arlington? they had a 3 for 1 happy hour there, that was killer :confused:

I guess I'm really looking at the most "bang for the buck" After looking at websites and only a couple of phone calls, I could buy two turbo's for the price of one blower!!! MAMA is tight with the checkbook!!!!!!!

Payton 02-03-2002 10:31 AM

my boat was setup this way when I bought it. The previous owner built the engine with the turbos in mind so he was limited a little on his performance as he built the with 7.5:1 copm ratio. He said it was a huge increase in performance. Be sure you go with an boost retard setup if you are staying with the stock comp ratio and probably an intercooler. I don't feel an intercooler is necessary in my setup because of my comp ratio and I limit my boost to about 6lbs. The builder was estemating 700+ hp @ 7 lbs. @5400rpm

mama tryed 02-03-2002 04:10 PM

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Hey Payton, Thanks for the info!!! I was 99% sure , i wanted an intercooler, even though the 6.2s have a forged steel crank,and alum. pistons. They also come stock with a steel billet roller type cam. The rpm range on the stock motor, is 4800 to 5200 rpms . I think if I keep the Boost somewhat tame, I should get motor life, plus gain 150 to maybe 200 ponies!!!!!

mama said said I was a retard,I didn,t need to buy one. ha!! ha!! I,ll remind her of that when she's yelling, "PASS HIM, PASS HIM"

IS IT SPRING YET??????

CBR 02-03-2002 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Whipple Charged:
<STRONG>catmando,

6.2 are available and shipping, as are the 350 mag and 377 Scorpion.

Thanks,Dustin</STRONG>
Hi Dustin, how much height do your superchargers add to the scorpions? How much horsepower is gained? How long can the engines be expected to live if brand new?

mama tryed 02-03-2002 05:49 PM

HEY Mr. CBR, I called about the 6.2s , and the guy on the phone{didn't get a name} said, there was no increase in verticle or front clearance's on the motor!! he also said with some head work and 8lbs boost, i could get around the 550hp area. I just can,t talk Mama into spending the 12LARGE,,,,, , thats not countng any head work!!!!!

CBR 02-03-2002 06:11 PM

Originally posted by mama tryed:
<STRONG>HEY Mr. CBR, I called about the 6.2s , and the guy on the phone{didn't get a name} said, there was no increase in verticle or front clearance's on the motor!! he also said with some head work and 8lbs boost, i could get around the 550hp area. I just can,t talk Mama into spending the 12LARGE,,,,, , thats not countng any head work!!!!!</STRONG>
Was that 12K for a complete install on two motors?

mama tryed 02-03-2002 06:37 PM

I WAS QUOTED 5500 PER!!! MORE LATER, THE GAME'S STARTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whipple Charged 02-03-2002 10:29 PM

CBR,

The 6.2 and 350 Mag add no height or frontal clearance, the Scorpion adds 2" in height, but no front clearance. Scorpion intake is lower than the covers for the 6.2 and 350 mag.

mamatryed, I'm not sure where you saw 45 minutes for installation, but any major performance item as detailed as a supercharger will take far longer than 45 minutes. Now it would take about 3-4 hours if you have the motor out next to the tool box, but in the boat, not removing the interior, your looking at an easy 8-10 hours per motor. Also, a Whipple is a twin-screw type supercharger, not a roots-type. Twin-screws are far more efficient than roots superchargers.

catmando, we hired a new company too redo the website, but is a major undertaking because were redesigning everything.

Thanks,
Dustin