Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Powerboat TV report on Nortech's muffler system? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/127156-powerboat-tv-report-nortechs-muffler-system.html)

Falcon 04-10-2006 08:01 PM

Re: Powerboat TV report on Nortech's muffler system?

If it's hooked up like I think, there are several things that make the system work so well.
1) 2 into 1 tailpipes, all things being equal it's quieter and not really much extra backpressure at WOT.
2) The 2 into 1 is also "wet", much quieter than dry!
3) Exit below water at idle, definitely quiet at idle
4) Idle relief connections help the engine start and idle by avoiding most of the "idle" backpressure from water pressure. The deeper the exit below the surface the higher the backpressure without a relief. The idle relief helps it sound better too.
5) The exit is below the transom assembly, in front of the drive, which is probably breaking up some additional noise at on plane speeds.

Nice and simple, little to go wrong.

OU Want Some?!! 04-10-2006 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Probably Sean H wimpering like a little girlyman in his unique boatless way... :D

:D :D :D

yeah, with his headset on upside down!! :evilb: :evilb: :D

Iggy 04-11-2006 04:53 AM

With the exhaust exiting in front of the drive it would allow a steep pitch prop to slip coming out of the hole, like adding aeration tubes to the drive.
Once on top the surface props wouldn't know the difference and that big rooster tail will muffle the sound even more. Ingenious.

Boomer 880 04-11-2006 07:25 AM

Would this system work equally well on a V-hull?

salesmanship 04-11-2006 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Boomer 880
Would this system work equally well on a V-hull?

In development right now on a triple engine 50'.

Buddy OO 04-11-2006 07:49 AM

system was initiated after we had several noise complaints at loto. Idea was started after we examined Kilo Kat's boats last year with underwater systems, Nortech realized they had to do something to comply with j-2006 sound laws and keep selling boats. great system, but it does allow a little slip and a few mph on top end, but I'd rather have it then be sitting on my dock with water patrol looking for me, just ask ou want sopme, they made it to the bridge last year and nailed, o well they drank 300 red/ bull and vodkas at dog days, so they were still happy.

OSO 04-11-2006 07:49 AM

Rode on the silent Nor-Tech with Terry in Key West, AWESOME. It was like a whole new boating experience.

Saw some of the other manufacturers eyeballing it at the Miami show so I am sure you will see a lot more of these systems.

salesmanship 04-11-2006 02:12 PM

Actually had an underwater exhaust system on the "Innovator" 38' back in '98. It came out into the notched transom and shot down. Didn't do all that well when the boat launched and came back down. Too much back pressure. This system creates a vacuum, and the venting allows it to breathe at idle. Our testing on four boats shows no additional slip and no loss of speed.

Jassman 04-11-2006 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by salesmanship
In development right now on a triple engine 50'.

Terry, is that a gas or diesel application. I definatly wast this on my next boat. Thanks Jeff

Double R Performance 04-11-2006 05:42 PM

Nor-tech hit a home run again. We ordered this package on all of our Nor-tech's this spring. Another really cool part is that if you want to be loud for a poker run or whatever reason, the converision to straight exhaust is simple and quick, taking about 2 hours. Then you can go back to silent for your everyday boating just as easily.