Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ashamed of Alabama (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/127545-ashamed-alabama.html)

Magicfloat 04-14-2006 08:04 PM

Ashamed of Alabama

Govenor Bob Riley just signed the Boating Ban Bill :mad: I've lived in Alabama all of my 62 years and have been proud of our state until now. It is all about the Golden Rule,those that have the gold,will rule. Thanks Alabama Power Company,I hope the 3/4 million you spent on the lobbyists makes you sleep well,we only had $25,000 to spend.Thank you Russell Lands on Lake Martin,hope the $100,000 you spent to hire your lobbyist makes you sleep well.I will sleep well tonight, we lost to the money people,but we were right. You think we are done,think again,the fight is only just starting.Sorry for the rant,but big money interests and ugly Alabama politics makes me angry. :mad: Don't expect us to lay down now.It is NOT over.

Too Old 04-14-2006 08:13 PM

Re: Ashamed of Alabama

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Govenor Bob Riley just signed the Boating Ban Bill :mad: I've lived in Alabama all of my 62 years and have been proud of our state until now. It is all about the Golden Rule,those that have the gold,will rule. Thanks Alabama Power Company,I hope the 3/4 million you spent on the lobbyists makes you sleep well,we only had $25,000 to spend.Thank you Russell Lands on Lake Martin,hope the $100,000 you spent to hire your lobbyist makes you sleep well.I will sleep well tonight, we lost to the money people,but we were right. You think we are done,think again,the fight is only just starting.Sorry for the rant,but big money interests and ugly Alabama politics makes me angry. :mad: Don't expect us to lay down now.It is NOT over.

Damn.....what a shame. :(

What state is next????

Out There 04-14-2006 08:15 PM

Unfotunately, when that type of lobbying get behind something the special interest groups win. You and I take a shafting. Our fine government at its best :mad:

hp500efi 04-14-2006 08:16 PM

Go get em Robert !! :mad:

Magicfloat 04-14-2006 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
Damn.....what a shame. :(

What state is next????

Georgia. The parent company of Alabama Power also owns Georgia Power.

rouxsterre 04-14-2006 08:31 PM

What exactly is being banned ?

Magicfloat 04-14-2006 08:39 PM

Any boats over 26'11" long and capable of over 60 mph are banned on 3 lakes as of 10-01-06. Houseboats and any boat over 30'-6" long are grandfathered in but must be purchased by 7-1-06 and cannot be replaced. My lake,Smith Lake was excluded after we got active with protests,but we will be hit again next year.The Marine Police says the law is unenforcable. How do you measure length,how do determine speed?

epeek 04-14-2006 09:29 PM

What kills me is,where are the boat manufacturers while this type
of legislation is happening. Wheres,Fountain,cig,Sea Ray,Merc
marine. How about the marine trades association or boat U.S.
It always seems like the little guy has to do all the fighting with
very little money. Lets face it,if big money stepped in,you would
be a force to be reckoned with. It takes big money to fight these
guys. Big money to take it to the public. You would think the boating
industry would have more to loose than anybody. Once a precedent
is set,this could happen all over the country.

Von Bongo 04-14-2006 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by epeek
What kills me is,where are the boat manufacturers while this type
of legislation is happening. Wheres,Fountain,cig,Sea Ray,Merc
marine. How about the marine trades association or boat U.S.
It always seems like the little guy has to do all the fighting with
very little money. Lets face it,if big money stepped in,you would
be a force to be reckoned with. It takes big money to fight these
guys. Big money to take it to the public. You would think the boating
industry would have more to loose than anybody. Once a precedent
is set,this could happen all over the country.

I agree 100%, WHERE IS BRUNSWICK MARINE, they own half a dozen boat companies and make a lot of boat models that are now excluded as well as Merc, they should have been leading the defense. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Magic Medicine 04-14-2006 09:47 PM

F in crooked politicians. Good luck with your fight. Let us know what we can do to help!!