Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/127661-loto-sound-violations-worse-than-ever.html)

Rebel_Heart 04-18-2006 03:05 PM

Re: LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever

Do you think that 540's NA in a 35' Fountain will cause any attention? Not a flashy boat in comparison to many others, just didn't know how bad it has been this year. Planning on doing some testing with props in a couple of weeks.

Wild 04-18-2006 04:00 PM

I will let you know how bad it really is this weekend, I am way over 90 db

Wild

Buddy OO 04-18-2006 05:05 PM

90 decibels is for the j-2005 stationairy test, 42" off trancom 3 ' above water level, exhaust have to be open, switchable is illegal and they will ask you to see it, the moving tests is within 50' not more than 86 decibels, I passed the stationary with the turn downs in the water , running not even close to 86,

Raylar 04-19-2006 09:12 AM

You need to understand whats feeding the Monster here. There are selfish (NIMBY) people living and playing on every body of good boating water that wnat it quiet, so their kids can hear them yelling at them. They are going to support politicians (not public servants as intended) who want to inact legislation that will give them and their hired hands (constituent enforcment) the power and jobs money who will then go around and hound the chit out of you until you roll over and say uncle. The secret here is to realize you are not going to change the control freaks , you've got to beat them at their own game over the long term. Noise does not make boats faster!! We are going to have to just have boats that can haul ass and not make more than 82 decibles under full power which is about what most recreation boats make at full throttle and believe me they are not going to legislate those boats off the water!
Its not hard to set up most boats with power up the kazoo that will run at speed at 82 decibles, it just takes a little ingenutiy. If you keep up the uproar, you will just give yourself attention for which they will come up with more restrictions and enforcement! Learn sometimes how to be more invisible!! Quit fighting the system (as created by those who have the power) and learn how to beat them at their own game.!! They are not real smart and believe me when I say most of them could not get a REAL JOBS!!

Ray @ Raylar

Dave98 04-19-2006 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
90 decibels is for the j-2005 stationairy test, 42" off trancom 3 ' above water level, exhaust have to be open, switchable is illegal and they will ask you to see it, the moving tests is within 50' not more than 86 decibels, I passed the stationary with the turn downs in the water , running not even close to 86,

Wiggler, The way I read it, switchable in not illegal. Para 4 of 306.147 says the boats cannot have a mechanical or electrical device that when switched makes the exhaust above 86 dB.

fountain1998 04-19-2006 11:07 AM

Please educate me. I recently bought a stock 502 415HP. 27' fountain with silent choice. This is illegal at LOTO because of switchable exhaust? Would this boat's sound output be safe with the silent choice off, or am I safe?

Steve

rainmn 04-19-2006 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by articfriends
This whole thing goes back to people who want there boat as loud as possible. When guys run dry headers with no mufflers at 100 plus decibles then EVERYONE gets bad attention :( . It happens with snowmobiles in alot of states too,some guy runs race pipes that are just pure obnoxious,cruise thru little towns on trails wakeing up everyone in middle of the night,next thing you know the DNR passes noise laws where your sled has to be bone stock to pass or worse,a visual test where even if you pass the noise test if there is any aftermarket exhaust present you are ticketed. No one other than a few crybabys cares about something that is slightly louder than stock,its the totally obnoxious stuff that catches attention then they set the decible limit unrealisticly low,Smitty

Bingo.
Add to that the people who go to waterfront bars / restaurants and rev the engines for 20 minutes after they dock, then do it again before they leave. Then add people who have switchable exhaust (legal or not) but never use it.
We all know there are plenty of guys out there who want to attract attention to their boat....the sound certainly does that. What they don't get is that for every one person who is impressed, there are a dozen who are just annoyed by it. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound, but I'm not stupid enough to think that everone else does.

WeaponX 04-19-2006 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by fountain1998
Please educate me. I recently bought a stock 502 415HP. 27' fountain with silent choice. This is illegal at LOTO because of switchable exhaust? Would this boat's sound output be safe with the silent choice off, or am I safe?

Steve

If you have swichable the loud one of the two has to pass. :D

fountain1998 04-19-2006 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 3600cat
If you have swichable the loud one of the two has to pass. :D

Do you know if my boat would pass in the "loud" version? I have no idea what the stock DB level is.

WeaponX 04-19-2006 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fountain1998
Do you know if my boat would pass in the "loud" version? I have no idea what the stock DB level is.

Not sure of your level but they won't bother you. If you see one just hit the switch. :D I was told by a water patrol if they see a rooster tail they have to pull them over just to check the db. :mad: Two sets of mufflers and still 94.5db. It's hard to make 2200hp quiet. :evilb: