Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/127661-loto-sound-violations-worse-than-ever.html)

Griff 04-25-2006 10:39 PM

Re: LOTO- Sound Violations Worse than ever

Originally Posted by Steve_H
did you happen to mention your profession BEFORE you got that warning :p

maybe......... :D

I also told him that I had just gotten the boat and was planning on putting on mufflers.

The kicker is that Troutly was about 100 yards away taking pics of me pulled over.

Wild 04-26-2006 07:15 AM

Yep Shane, that was the one, fly by runs are awsome

did we sound like we were over 90db :D :D

Wild

Mac 04-26-2006 08:36 AM

What I have seen in the past, they will let you go from the ramp straight to the course and straight back, no touring the lake! It really Sucks considering this is a big finical shot in the arm for lake busineses, you would think that for one weekend for a good cause they could loosen up,you Loto guys need to be leaning on your elected officials!!

KiloKat 04-26-2006 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You don't have to be loud to run good. I know my 46 Skater is legal but it took having a custom set of exhaust made that uses a lot of water running through mufflers and then into turndowns. We run close to 1500hp through these things at the lake and never have a problem - with the engines or the waterpatrol. :drink:

masher44 04-26-2006 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rare Breed
What I have seen in the past, they will let you go from the ramp straight to the course and straight back, no touring the lake! It really Sucks considering this is a big finical shot in the arm for lake busineses, you would think that for one weekend for a good cause they could loosen up,you Loto guys need to be leaning on your elected officials!!

That is a load of chit.... only a matter of time before it gets too bad to bother with :mad:
RB, that makes too much sense.... :rolleyes:

WeaponX 04-26-2006 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by KiloKat
You don't have to be loud to run good. I know my 46 Skater is legal but it took having a custom set of exhaust made that uses a lot of water running through mufflers and then into turndowns. We run close to 1500hp through these things at the lake and never have a problem - with the engines or the waterpatrol. :drink:

Have you ran hard with the tips on?? Your boat with that set up is very QUIET. :D

KiloKat 04-27-2006 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 3600cat
Have you ran hard with the tips on?? Your boat with that set up is very QUIET. :D

Not sure what you consider running hard. Have been to 150+ but not wide open. For those of you with number 6 drives, the setup I ran on my 36 was much easier and less expensive to accomplish. Same components though - lots of water, mufflers & turndowns that are under water when not on plane. And, before anyone asks, never ran it wide open with these either but did run 180+ briefly during last years "fun run" heading to Big Dick's. :drink:

44MTI 04-27-2006 08:28 AM

Not sure what you consider running hard. Have been to 150+ but not wide open. :drink:

LOL.

Dave, did you have any mufflers in the tailpipes between the the headers and the transom. I know Skater likes to put them in there also.
Just trying to figure out what to do on the new boat to make sure I'm legal. Also What brand of mufflers and turn down is that in your pics
Thanks
Michael

Sean H 04-27-2006 09:07 AM

And, before anyone asks, never ran it wide open with these either but did run 180+ briefly during last years "fun run" heading to Big Dick's. :drink:

i remember the black blur going by us, wasn't very loud then either... :drink:

KiloKat 04-27-2006 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
LOL.

Dave, did you have any mufflers in the tailpipes between the the headers and the transom. I know Skater likes to put them in there also.
Just trying to figure out what to do on the new boat to make sure I'm legal. Also What brand of mufflers and turn down is that in your pics
Thanks
Michael

Michael - In my first 36 Race/Pleasure, I had the in-line mufflers full time before the transom and then added HPI's after the transom. Wouldn't meet noise limits. Now, I only use external mufflers but the key here are the turndowns that exit slightly below the waterline when not on plane. On my 36 race boat, I used HPI mufflers with Gibson turndowns. On my 46, I had Gibson custom fabricate the entire system to my specs. One final note, we run an excessive amount of water through the Sterling engines for a variety of reasons. Therefore, we have an excessive amount of water leaving the exhaust which also helps reduce the decibels when running. Water is very important here - the more you have, the less noise. Good luck!
Dave