Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Guy Needs A Little Help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/128008-new-guy-needs-little-help.html)

DURANGOKID59 04-20-2006 08:46 AM

New Guy Needs A Little Help

Hey everybody. First off, let me say this is a great site, very informative, and sometimes very amusing. Im finally decided to move in to an "offshore" style boat, and have a few questions. Im going to be using the boat primarily in northern michigan, in our bays and Lake Michigan, and I want something to do a few overnighters, and that is somewhat fast. Ive been looking at older Baja 240's and older Sunsation Rockets, because they seems to fit in to my under 15,000 or so price range. Anyway, Im going to look at a 90 Sunsation Rocket this weekend, and am wondering if there is anything specific to look for, other than the norm when looking at used boats. Also, at 14,000, would that be a good price for a 90 with a rebuilt 454 and only 400 hours total on the boat total? Sorry to be long winded, just need some direction. Also, any boats in that price range on here, post em up. Thanks again.

Magic Medicine 04-20-2006 09:01 AM

Re: New Guy Needs A Little Help

As far as Sunsation goes they are excellent boats with some of the best factory support in the industry. 400 hrs on a 1990 is relatively low hrs, you are going to make to check for stress cranks in the hull, make sure the gimbal is in good shape, make sure the motor has good comression. You might want to look at 251 Checkmate Convincors they are excellent boats that will fit into your price range and they are way more boat than a 24 Baja.

ratman 04-20-2006 09:26 AM

being a newbie you might want to have it surveyed if you do like the boat but find anything you think questionable. check for rot in stringers and transum. sea trial the boat, leak down and compresion check on engine, drain some oil out of the drive and look for bits of metal rub the oil between your fingers to feel any grittynes which means theres issues with the drive, look for stress cracks, good luck

stecz20 04-20-2006 09:28 AM

rat you're a swell guy...

DURANGOKID59 04-20-2006 09:36 AM

Thanks for all the input so far, appreciate the help. As far as price goes does 14 seem high for a 90 Sunsation Rocket? I checked NADA, but that only seems to give a general idea. Again, appreciate the help so far.

Chris288 04-20-2006 10:12 AM

Depends on the options... does it have tabs or k-planes, silent choice, is it 310, 330 or the 365 ?? is it in excellent shape or does it need some TLC. usually asking price and selling price are a few grand apart,, if they are asking 14 I would say offer 10 or 11 and work from there...

as an example I sold my 96 Baja 232 w/ 454 in april 04 w/ 220 hours and a 2001 roller trailer for 19K...

DURANGOKID59 04-20-2006 10:21 AM

Here's what I know about the boat so far, as I have not seen it yet. Its a 1990 24ft Sunsation Rocket. Boat has around 400 hours total, with the engine having 130 on the rebuild. The motor has been bumped up a bit with a cam, and a few other things. Has the silent choice exhaust. Guy just put in a $1500 stereo. He said the interior is near mint with a few minor tears in the captains chair. Cuddy area hasnt been used much so its in excellent condition. The guy listed it at 17,000, and over the phone I got him to come down to 14. Dont know if it will be any easier to ballpark a descent price that way. Thanks again.

Magic Medicine 04-20-2006 10:41 AM

I would think that somewhere between 11-14 K would be a good price for that boat. Let some of the Sunsation guys comment on the boat, they will know more about the boat. You can also call the factory and they will help you.