Transmission preference: Huber or Bam? >

Transmission preference: Huber or Bam?

Notices

Transmission preference: Huber or Bam?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huber

Originally Posted by sunchaser796
be carefull with thermostats in transmissions. I have seen hubers burn uo cause of the t-stats. Talked to alot of people about t-stats and they removed them from the transmissions.
Originally Posted by dueclaws
i've been running hubers for five years without problems.
But
i've also noticed the rising popularity of the bam transmissions. Does bam require a thermostat to keep the temps at 180 for clutch plate life?

What's your experience?
Due
always had great results from a huber trans. 3 years ago i sent my transmission to huber to be rebuilt. There was nothing wrong with it. I own a 46 cigarette . In the last year i have gone thru 5 transmissions on my starboard side. I am only running merc 900s. It is a joke . I have spent over 20k on just in and out of motor. Huber could give a ****. Anyone that wants a huber trans should think twice. Go with bam. Huber does not stand behind there product. They are buying **** parts at our expense. If you have had a problem with a huber trans e mail me at [email protected]. Or call me at 773-636-7000. I would like to put together a class action lawsuit. I want to make all situations right.
Mike dambrose.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:24 PM
mmb
Registered

My Top Gun came with 11 Clutch 72C trans. One was a Bam and one was a Huber... I just pulled them out because the Bam was locked in forward... Huber trans still worked great.

Upon tear down the Bam clutches were smoked... and I mean gone... The Huber clutches were 50% gone... Since both companies use the same Raybestos High Performance Graphite Clutch Dics there was an obvious oiling problem to the clutches....

I upgraded my Bam trans to the Huber parts because Huber makes a better trans end of story... By the way anyone paying Bam $600 per trans for clutch Disc is getting seriously ripped off. Those clutches cost around $7 each and I have the part numbers if you need them...

Someone at Bam needs an ass whoopin charging people $50 some dollars a Disc....
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had luck with Huber. I'm sure Bam can do an excellent job also. They have been at it for decades.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

transmission problem i could definitly use the clutch disk part number

Originally Posted by mmb
My Top Gun came with 11 Clutch 72C trans. One was a Bam and one was a Huber... I just pulled them out because the Bam was locked in forward... Huber trans still worked great.

Upon tear down the Bam clutches were smoked... and I mean gone... The Huber clutches were 50% gone... Since both companies use the same Raybestos High Performance Graphite Clutch Dics there was an obvious oiling problem to the clutches....

I upgraded my Bam trans to the Huber parts because Huber makes a better trans end of story... By the way anyone paying Bam $600 per trans for clutch Disc is getting seriously ripped off. Those clutches cost around $7 each and I have the part numbers if you need them...

I could the clutch disk and the friction plate part number I have 4 burn trans that the friction plates where cut very thin too add clutch disks [ bam trans] they overheated and wrapped.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
I've been running Hubers for five years without problems.
But
I've also noticed the rising popularity of the BAM transmissions. Does BAM require a thermostat to keep the temps at 180 for clutch plate life?

What's your experience?
Due
Don't use Hubar! Earl promised a one week turnaround and took 6! He refused to return phone calls and emails for a week at a time. Scheduled completion dates came and left week after week!

I missed desert storm and lost what I paid on a luxury vacation rental because of this guy!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmb

I concur, Bam sucks.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Registered

BAM could you post maintenance timeline for your transmission? I just bought a boat last year 36 Nortech supercat twin 750 sterling. I am not familiar with transmissions at all. Fluid change? What else?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huber has been good to me but there is also the original,

http://www.velvetdrive.com/liberty72L.html

Jeff
Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Aside from changing the fluid there is very little to do. Use type F, once a year or every 100 hours is fine unless you have a cooler failure or wind up with water in it. Moisture is death to them!

You can find more info here

http://www.cyborgtransmissions.com/Support.aspx

Jeff, the velvet drive of today is far from the original.