Florida West Coast... Boating Trip

Notices

Florida West Coast... Boating Trip

Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida West Coast... Boating Trip

Weather permitting & such... The wife, I & the 2 kids are thinking about taking a week or so down in the Ft. Myers area. Plans right now are to head down on or around June 15 or 16th. Spend 5-6 days touring the west coast area and then be back in Ft.Myers for my parents 60th wedding anniversary on Friday June 23rd.

Q? is: Where would everyone suggest staying / going? I know the area a little having spent many summers on Ft Myers Beach, but I know very little about available marinas. Would it be a huge trip to ride up the coats to Tampa where we have more family? I just would need a good place to stay on the water. (ie: Marina, Hotels, etc) We can sleep on the boat if necessary but a cheap room with a shower works well too. Remember I have 2 small kids. We're driving a 38 top gun.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Florida West Coast... Boating Trip

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Weather permitting & such... The wife, I & the 2 kids are thinking about taking a week or so down in the Ft. Myers area. Plans right now are to head down on or around June 15 or 16th. Spend 5-6 days touring the west coast area and then be back in Ft.Myers for my parents 60th wedding anniversary on Friday June 23rd.

Q? is: Where would everyone suggest staying / going? I know the area a little having spent many summers on Ft Myers Beach, but I know very little about available marinas. Would it be a huge trip to ride up the coats to Tampa where we have more family? I just would need a good place to stay on the water. (ie: Marina, Hotels, etc) We can sleep on the boat if necessary but a cheap room with a shower works well too. Remember I have 2 small kids. We're driving a 38 top gun.
Lots of places to see on FL west coast.
Going South: 1hr to Naples; 1.5 hrs to Marco Island and 2 hrs to Everglades City from Ft Myers Beach.
Also you can pick up helpfull info by going to Forums and scrolling downt to Boat Club Forums and checking the Ft Myers Offshore Forum.
June is a time of year where you will have to watch for afternoon thunderstorms almost daily. Don't get caught too far offshore. No need to go too far out in any case.
More to follow:
Old 04-26-2006, 11:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Going north from Ft Myers Beach you have lots of interesting stops on Sanibel, Captiva, North Captiva and Cabbage Key. All are within 1hr of FM Beach and are accessed from intercoastal.
North from there you have Charlotte Harbor with ports like Burnt Store Marina and Fisherman's Village at Punta Gorda about 2 hrs. from FM Beach.
If you go out Boca Grande Pass you can run north to Venice 1.5 hrs, Sarasota 2hrs and Tampa Bay, St Pete's and Clearwater about 3hrs.
I'm sure others will jump in and mention some of their favorite FL west coast spots.
Hope this will be a little help.
Good luck and it will make a great family trip.
Don't forget your charts and pick up a cruising guide.
Bob
Old 04-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue by You

I would definately try to spend a night in Sarasota, a slip and a room for a night at the Hyatt is priceless.

Tampa area: I would recommend the Tierre Verde Marina/Resort. It's a great area, and close to bay and Gulf waters.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Registered

I found a great place in Treasure Island. I will have to look up the name. It is a 6 story hotel on the beach. It has additional parking across the street, on a canal leading to the ICW right around the corner from Johns Pass. It has a public boat ramp right next to there dock.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered

South Sea's Plantation used to be great place to stay. Alos that Jimmy Buffet/Hmburger in Paradise ret on the isalnd between Captiva and Useppa Island. Oh--check out Useppa Isalnd if you get the cance--what a place.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Registered

If you want to try something different:

Make the trip across the stae via the Okeechobee Waterway. Just make sure all the locks are operating. Stay at Roland Martin's marina halfway across on the western side of the Lake, in Clewiston.

One of the absolute best boating experiences I've ever had. Done it twice.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
If you want to try something different:

Make the trip across the stae via the Okeechobee Waterway. Just make sure all the locks are operating. Stay at Roland Martin's marina halfway across on the western side of the Lake, in Clewiston.

One of the absolute best boating experiences I've ever had. Done it twice.
I have been wanting to do this trip. How long does it take to get across the state? Is there allot of no-wake zones? I want to go from head south from Tampa and then go thru the middle of the state and finally on to the Bahamas.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Registered

How about Cabbage Key? Great place to eat & spend the night.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
I have been wanting to do this trip. How long does it take to get across the state? Is there allot of no-wake zones? I want to go from head south from Tampa and then go thru the middle of the state and finally on to the Bahamas.
I have done the Ok..... Waterway twice and it can be crossed in a day if you start out first thing in the morning. 5 locks I think. A few no wakes but not a lot unless it has changed in the last 5 years. Some of it is not that interesting - just a ditch. If you are staying at Rowan Martin make sure you have a reservation cause anywhere else will be a disapointment.
The Bahamas for sure would be the best part of the trip.
Bob

Quick Reply: Florida West Coast... Boating Trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.