Help me compute the cost of Gasoline

Notices

Help me compute the cost of Gasoline

Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help me compute the cost of Gasoline

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
Aside from all this computing the cost of gasoline, I would "sum it up" by saying that it's pathetic that these oil/gas companies lie and say that the cost has gone up significantly and charge us a rediculous price increase when they are producing record profits. One CEO has been in charge since 1993 and has been paid over 1 billion dollars to date...........that's just insane.

Why don't they just have an add on tv that says, "that's right, we can charge you whatever we want and you still can't do sh*t about it.
Click this link: http://www.thefinancials.com/Samples/i001578v.PDF

Look at how much crude oil has gone up over the past 3 years. It has more than doubled (almost tripled) since the beginning of 04. We're lucky gas prices have only doubled in the same time range.

If Exxon decided today to cut its profit to 0 the price of gas would drop less than 10 cents.

If politicans repealed all the gas taxes the price of gas would drop about 50 cents.

Who's really to blame?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kswest
Viper ... I grew up in Bethesda and everytime I go back I can't believe how the city has changed. It used to be a pretty cool place, now more like a non-stop cut-throat rat race.
No doubt about that. You need a six figure income to qualify for a mortgage on a garage in that town.

There are many now living in that area that consider themselves "Progressives" which is really the new name for "Communist". Many people do not know or refuse to believe this, but when the WWW became popular, the American Communist Party made the mistake of placing their membership list on their newly implemented website. This was a major blunder as their membership list included members of Congress, a new name was required.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Viper31
No doubt about that. You need a six figure income to qualify for a mortgage on a garage in that town.
My parents bought in the early 80s for about $100k. Selling now and the apriasial was 1.2 M
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kswest
My parents bought in the early 80s for about $100k. Selling now and the apriasial was 1.2 M
That is incredible. The property taxes must suck. I hope they can sell for apraisal and retire comfortably if that is their intension. The sad part is that their property value grew that high because of the growth of government.

Here is an acrobat file I found about refineries and their locations. Notice there are no refineries in the northeast and that is a high population area. I guess they all depend on PA or NJ.

http://biowa.us/BIOWA%20oil%20refineries%20final.pdf
Old 04-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Registered

That is incredible. The property taxes must suck. I hope they can sell for apraisal and retire comfortably if that is their intension. The sad part is that their property value grew that high because of the growth of government.

Here is an acrobat file I found about refineries and their locations. Notice there are no refineries in the northeast and that is a high population area. I guess they all depend on PA or NJ.

http://biowa.us/BIOWA%20oil%20refineries%20final.pdf

I've never asked about the taxes but I am sure they are much more than they were in the 80s, but of course they are making a lot more money now anyway. They just bought a place down on a golf course near the beach in NC.

Anyway ...

You're right, the people in the northeast get screwed with higher cost b/c of transportation and typically higher tax gas taxes. http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp (32 cents a gallon in NY).

Old 04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered

I own 3 gas staions and I make pennies on the dollar for a gallon of gas. I think it is funny that all these people come in *****ing about the cost of gas, when some of them IMO are overpayed for what they do.

Everyone complaining should post what they do for a living and how much they make a year so we can make some judgements on if they are overpaid.

The government is the one that is making the real $$$ on gas.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

In my business you are doing average if you show a profit of 6.1% before taxes. I only had a 2.5% profit and I would be happy to repeat it again this year. I could only imagine a 15% profit, wow!

All the wining going on about the cost of gasoline has prompted me to attempt to research the actual cost. I thought that other folks would also like to know this info. It seems as most people you run into on a daily basis are clueless on the costs and just repeat what they hear in the media. For simplicity I will use Department of Energy statistics and per gallon costing. I will use $3.00 a gallon pricing as that is the average in my area this week.

Crude oil cost (47%) = 1.41
Distribution cost (12%) = 0.36
Refining and Profit (18%) = 0.54
Taxes U.S. Average (23%) = 0.69

Taxes in my state are only $0.42 cents per gallon, but current crude oil pricing should make the per gallon cost $1.71 versus $1.41 so the average per gallon cost is actually $0.03 lower using the percentages above.

I do not know how efficient the refining and distribution operations are, but lets just assume they are efficient and are making 50% profit from those operations (12% + 18% = 30% - 15% = 15% profit). I would say that many companies would not consider 15% profit all that great.

Please chime in you have more accurate data so we all can learn about this stuff.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain1998
In my business you are doing average if you show a profit of 6.1% before taxes. I only had a 2.5% profit and I would be happy to repeat it again this year. I could only imagine a 15% profit, wow!
But you are talking about less than 10 cents on a gallon of gas. If you are building million dollar homes for a living and showing a 6% profit you are doing pretty well. It's all about what kind of $$$ we are talking about.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Registered

I agree. The government is making the $$$. I just collect it for them!

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
I own 3 gas staions and I make pennies on the dollar for a gallon of gas. I think it is funny that all these people come in *****ing about the cost of gas, when some of them IMO are overpayed for what they do.

Everyone complaining should post what they do for a living and how much they make a year so we can make some judgements on if they are overpaid.

The government is the one that is making the real $$$ on gas.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Back when I leased a marina gas station with a friend they would buy the gas for about .80 a gallon, charge the customer $1.25, I made $.03 on Regular and $.04 on Super, the marina kept the rest. This was in 1998-1999.

We got our fuel from a local supplier.

Quick Reply: Help me compute the cost of Gasoline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.