Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   new fountain with stereo doesn't work (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129139-new-fountain-stereo-doesnt-work.html)

sonic28 05-03-2006 10:49 AM

new fountain with stereo doesn't work

ok problem turn the power on the stereo lights up no sound.i checked all the functions to see if the speakers where off they are on.so i pulled the head unit and bench tested it worked.installed back in boat it does not.the deeper i get i found that there is an amp. there are four banana plugs that plug into the back of the head unit.the termination at the speakers are regular speaker wires.thats when i realized that there is an amp.i guess my question is if the power is on at the head unit is it possible that the key must be on for the amp and then will this correct my problem?

sellsman11 05-03-2006 10:58 AM

Re: new fountain with stereo doesn't work

Check all of your fuses. I bet that will solve the problem.

candyman35 05-03-2006 11:11 AM

I'll bet it's the main fuse to the amp. Not sure if Fountain wires these direct from the battery or the battery switch. Give the selling dealer a call or call Fountain directly at 252-975-2000. I'm sure they can help.
Dan

klaw 05-03-2006 11:17 AM

check to see if it has a remote power on and its getting 12v fromm head unit or key switch
what kind of amp

HiPerf2000 05-03-2006 11:30 AM

"remote power on" for the amp is usually a blue wire comming from the head unit. Check that wire.

The amp itself will usually have a push in type fuse on the back of it. check that.

rainmn 05-03-2006 11:36 AM

If you are checking for power at the remote turn-on lead, do yourself a favor and use a meter, not a test light. Some remote turn-on leads put out as little as 0.5 amps, and some test lights will draw more than that and fry the circuit. I've seen it happen.

Wally 05-03-2006 11:40 AM

when you turn on the stereo...check to see if any lights turn on over on the amp.....if not then either the amp has problems with power supply or a fuse......or the remote trigger for the amp is not working properly.
If the amp does turn on and still no output then you may have a fried amp.......but check all your fades and balances on the stereo....it may be that the amp is powering the boat but it could be hooked up goofy and only being driven off of one channel...like the left side front bank! :)

Audiofn 05-03-2006 12:27 PM

Some good advice up there.

1 test for power at the 12 volt input on the amp (ussually a larger red wire)
2 test for power at the 12 volt trigger on the amp (ussually a blue wire) when the stereo is on.
3 test for ground at the amp (ussually a black wire)
4 look for a light coming on on the amp.

If the amp is not turning on with the blue wire then look for were the blue wire goes to. Some place there may be a switch to shut the amp in the cockpit off. Look for something labeled stereo or something like that. If the amp is turning on and still no sound check your balance and fade controls on the stereo :eek: . If that is all looking good then check you RCA's from the radio and the amp.

Jon

Audiofn 05-03-2006 12:28 PM

ah wally wally wally ya beat me to it LOL :drink: :drink: :drink:

ScottB 05-03-2006 01:01 PM

Reggie has the remote and won't give it to you until you get rid of the Sonic28 screen name :D