Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How Can I Get A McGard Prop Lock OFF ???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129175-how-can-i-get-mcgard-prop-lock-off.html)

Anarchy Powerboats 05-03-2006 07:10 PM

Re: How Can I Get A McGard Prop Lock OFF ????

try the cutting wheel first, then maybe go after it with the socket/impact?

Pantera1 05-03-2006 07:45 PM

Weld a steel nut to it and take it off with a socket..

Tantrum 05-03-2006 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Weld a steel nut to it and take it off with a socket..

This is what I would do.
Be careful how much heat you put into it though, you can damager the seals in the lower.
:chimp:

docmanrich37 05-03-2006 08:19 PM

Strip i used the prop lock socket on it by turning the socket so the teeth can be hit into the lock and make its own grooves and it will turn right off.This is why i don't buy prop locks any more because anyone with a prop lock socket and a hammer can still take off your props.

JCPERF 05-03-2006 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I am SOL .I was trying to take the prop off and the teeth on the lock itself broke off :mad: The key is fine.Is there a trick besides a torch,air chisel or cut off wheel to get them off ?

With out damaging the threads of the shaft :eek:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob

Look at it long enough and it will come off by itself :drink:

32storm 05-03-2006 08:22 PM

Did you send your product registration card into McGard? if you registered the product, McGard customer service will be able to send you another key. Worth a phone call.

I purchased a spare :D outdrive lock when I was at the factory recently for a meeting. I was also worried about braeking or loosing the key.

jmeng 05-03-2006 08:25 PM

Hope this doesn't screw up the 200 for you.

GOODT 05-03-2006 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
The key is fine.Is there a trick besides a torch,air chisel or cut off wheel to get them off ?

Rob

those are my tricks, Just keep in mind Its a boat challange is half the fun

X-Rated30 05-03-2006 11:27 PM

Regular cutting wheel until it is thin and then Dremel tool cutting wheel the rest of the way. When you get close, get a screwdriver and mallett and break it. :cool:

That or explosives. I vote for the latter. :evilb:

Strip Poker 388 05-04-2006 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
Paint the prop gold, and set it on the street corner. I am sure there are some fine young men in Jackson to remove it for you :evilb:

Sorry for your misfortune Rob :( Are you going to PicWick?

We are still going to TickFaw 200 poker run.I would figure it would be more fun that the Pickwick race.

Thanks for the replies .I would have to cut the stainless collar off to weld anything to the brass nut,The collar is made to free spin when ya turn it. It looks like the best way is to take the cut off wheel and cut thru it.The teeth are gone so the key will not grab anything, nothings wrong with the key

Thanks

Rob