Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129361-power-boat-magazine-wtf.html)

Chris288 05-08-2006 11:51 AM

Re: Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

My subscription ran out in december and I dont miss it one bit... :rolleyes:

We go to the NYC poker run every year, not as participants but as spectators, we leave early in the morning run down the the city park away from the poker runners slips against the sea-wall, walk around the docks checking out the hardware, then about 45 minutes before the start of the " race " we head off North to the Tappanzee bridge to watch the king of the Hudson come by. Is the butt-munch editor of POWER-JOKE calling us thieves ??????

P.S. we usually anchor about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the channel near the T.Z. bridge, these guys come buzzing by at 100 plus miles an hour about 50 feet off the bow and stern,, who's creating an un-safe environment now ??? I happen to find it exciting but to someone who is not in the run or knows nothing about whats going on and is just pleasure boating, I would imagine they find these guys extremely wreckless,, not to mention god-forbid they have kids or skiers or something in the water..

KAAMA 05-08-2006 01:31 PM

I always thought that the crowds, locals and spectators are what help make an event like a poker run more popular???

Cignificant 05-08-2006 02:40 PM

OK, I've read the article so now I'll comment on several things..

1. Spectators - according to the insurance company we cover our Poker Run with, if we openly invite spectators to our event then they are considered part of the event and need to be covered by the insurance. This means if little Johnny is walking down the docks looking at boats and stumps his toe, he can sue us. Thus, we don't invite spectators.

2. I have driven out to a Poker Run course, stopped my boat out of the way, and watched the participants go by (I had other obligations that day or I would have paid). But I don't like boats that aren't in our Poker Run running "alongside", and I wouldn't do it at someone else's run. For one thing, sometimes the helicopter that is paid by us to video participants accidentally spends time putting the "fringe fleet" on film. Then I have to explain to paying boats why the Helicopter missed them. Yes, we use boat numbers to identify the boats in the Run, but that isn't a 100% solution to the problem. Secondly, congestion is always a concern and they just add to the problem. That being said, I understand there's nothing I can do to stop them so I don't get too upset about it.

3. People that try to crash the banquets, lunches, etc. are - using a term in the article - thieves. We're now hiring security guards to check wrist bands at the door to keep them out. Attendees pay a bunch of money to be at our closing Banquet, and I intend to protect their interests.

4. We reserve the entire facilites where we lunch, overnight, and dock, so "slip hangers" aren't a problem for us. I collect slip fees with the registration fee, and them pay the marina one lump sum. It works great.

5. Yea, the language in the article was a little strong, and I'm surprised PRM printed it. But he got his point across..

beertruck 05-08-2006 03:06 PM

How does one go about renting or leasing a specific waterway, is it possible? I know the nascar analogy is a weak one, but what about a sanctioned powerboat race. No one would ever consider, or be allowed to jump in the course, and run with the racers. They don't own the waterways either, so how is it secured?
Up in Seattle we have Seafair, and the course is closed off to the public. Does Seafair rent that section of the lake, or is it closed off solely for safety reasons.
I'm not trying to be a dick about it I've allready posted my views, I"m just hoping that someone can explain how some of the larger events are able to safely secure a a venue on the water for their events.

dhlaw 05-08-2006 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by beertruck
How does one go about renting or leasing a specific waterway, is it possible? I know the nascar analogy is a weak one, but what about a sanctioned powerboat race. No one would ever consider, or be allowed to jump in the course, and run with the racers. They don't own the waterways either, so how is it secured?
Up in Seattle we have Seafair, and the course is closed off to the public. Does Seafair rent that section of the lake, or is it closed off solely for safety reasons.
I'm not trying to be a dick about it I've allready posted my views, I"m just hoping that someone can explain how some of the larger events are able to safely secure a a venue on the water for their events.

THey cant control a waterway... thats the point. When you see 20 boats careening down the ICW at 80mph in a run you better get out of the way..... just make sure when you are getting out of the way it doesnt look like you are participating!!!

CigDaze 05-08-2006 03:24 PM

Races promoters usually are required to get a city permit, and coast guard authorization (if it's in an area where they have jurisdiction). Not to mention, a race course is localized to a small area, patrolled and guarded. Some PR's do this as well, but A PR can often span more than 100 miles.....it's kind of tough to patrol and close off 100 miles of authorized navigable waterways.

T2x 05-08-2006 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
I rarely find you so far off base Rich. :)

This isn't Nascar and it's not held on a privately owned track.

Speaking of dangerous situations, liability and such, perhaps you could enlighten us on some statistics regarding serious accidents and deaths during poker runs? I don't recall reading about deaths in the spectator fleet as they watch the Poker Run participants head out. But I can recall some pretty horrific accidents and deaths among actual participants.

They liability issues that Poker Run organizers are facing have little to do with non participants and a lot to do with deaths of actual participants.

I'm not into freeloading meals or crashing private parties. I also don't feel any particular need to run along side an organized even in some test of machismo. And, I don't believe the majority of my fellow boaters do either.

I don't believe poker runners have any more right to the public waterways than the fisherman in his 14 foot Aluma-Craft.

Fred:

To explain my position.....

1. I put freeloaders and people who "pop" hulls in the same category.....for that matter, throw politicians in there too.

2. I'm not a big Poker Run fan...... and I've said that on the record.......primarily for the safety questions you brought up..... BUT....part of the participant's entry fee goes to cover insurance in the event of a mishap.....The guy running along side.....is not covered....... so he represents all of the safety issues that I take exception to in Poker Runs.....without ponying up for the cost......

3. The "running spectator" is not subject to attending the driver's meeting, therefore he has no idea what the course is, how the start will be conducted (possibly creating confusion if he decides to "take off" before the flag drops)....what the rules of the road are....etc, etc, He's basically a blind man in a gunfight....and he also is not subject to the "no drinking" rules during the event.

4. The Nascar analogy is a valid one. The Poker Run organizers are required to get Coast Guard and Harbor patrol clearances..... Granted they don't own the water....but that is also true of Offshore race courses where spectator boats are , for good reason, banned during the event....

5. Bottom line...whether we are discussing ripping off music on the web, stealing copyrights, gate crashing at a wedding, or mooching at a Poker Run.....these are all typical examples of avoiding the responsibility to pony up and pay your fair share.

By the way Fred, you still owe me a call.....

T2x

thisistank 05-08-2006 09:40 PM

First off, if you didn't read the article first hand then you shouldn't post an opinion on the article. Just my opinion on that.

Second, some of you read WAAAAAAY to much into that article.

I read it and after reading this thread I went back and read it again and honestly, I don't get what some of you are upset about. Because he used words like "Theif" and "parasite" you're going to get your panties in a bunch and think the wording was too harsh?? If you were offended by the wording maybe you should re-avaluate your boating practices.

Trulio never talked about spectators in his article. That is a totally different topic. The main point of the article is that if you are someone who is enjoying the spoils of the hard effort and work put into a poker run by individuals that put it on by running with the pack or eating the food or partying at the party or anything else then there is a moral issue with that. He was very specific in the article whom he was refering to.

The price for the desert storm poker run was 250 bucks. That included a lot for a little price. If you are going to come and run and "act" like you are a participant with out paying a little to help support the event then, yea, you are a thief. You are recieving something (enjoyment of an event) for free. When you should be paying for it.

The SCOPE poker run is under 500 bucks per boat too. And it's a whole weekend of boating and again, you get a lot for little money.

I know for a fact the SCOPE members who put on that poker run and the people who put on the Desert Storm poker run do not do it to make money. A lot of the people (me included) signed up for the poker run, then didn't actually participate in the run. I did this to help support it and hopefully have it stay around for a while.

Other sponsors and organizers of poker runs (I wont name names) do charge astronomical amounts of money and tend to charge for every little thing where it becomes overcharging because most of the participants can afford it and the organizers ARE actually doing it to make their living and doing well at it. More power to 'em but I don't think people should 'participate' in these runs if they didn't sign up as well.

I personally don't really enjoy running in poker runs but I'll try to sign up and support the promotors so I can continue to come back and enjoy the social side of them.

Team V 05-08-2006 09:59 PM

A Poker Run is usually "sanctioned".... that means you need some sort of event (race) insurance. If God forbid something happens, the whole boat club is liable... and hopefully a good policy will be enough to cover it. Along with that is all the permits and BS that goes along with it.

It's risky business and there just isn't any room for 'crashers' to be running along side "just to get a taste of it". The entrants paid for the insurance, took care of the permits to keep the law off your back etc,etc... but also attended a drivers meeting and signed all the waivers.

However... spectators are usually welcome to watch at a safe distance, and patronize the event sponsers. (And usually aren't considered theives)

Just my .02

articfriends 05-08-2006 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank
First off, if you didn't read the article first hand then you shouldn't post an opinion on the article. Just my opinion on that.

Second, some of you read WAAAAAAY to much into that article.

I read it and after reading this thread I went back and read it again and honestly, I don't get what some of you are upset about. Because he used words like "Theif" and "parasite" you're going to get your panties in a bunch and think the wording was too harsh?? If you were offended by the wording maybe you should re-avaluate your boating practices.

Trulio never talked about spectators in his article. That is a totally different topic. The main point of the article is that if you are someone who is enjoying the spoils of the hard effort and work put into a poker run by individuals that put it on by running with the pack or eating the food or partying at the party or anything else then there is a moral issue with that. He was very specific in the article whom he was refering to.

The price for the desert storm poker run was 250 bucks. That included a lot for a little price. If you are going to come and run and "act" like you are a participant with out paying a little to help support the event then, yea, you are a thief. You are recieving something (enjoyment of an event) for free. When you should be paying for it.

The SCOPE poker run is under 500 bucks per boat too. And it's a whole weekend of boating and again, you get a lot for little money.

I know for a fact the SCOPE members who put on that poker run and the people who put on the Desert Storm poker run do not do it to make money. A lot of the people (me included) signed up for the poker run, then didn't actually participate in the run. I did this to help support it and hopefully have it stay around for a while.

Other sponsors and organizers of poker runs (I wont name names) do charge astronomical amounts of money and tend to charge for every little thing where it becomes overcharging because most of the participants can afford it and the organizers ARE actually doing it to make their living and doing well at it. More power to 'em but I don't think people should 'participate' in these runs if they didn't sign up as well.

I personally don't really enjoy running in poker runs but I'll try to sign up and support the promotors so I can continue to come back and enjoy the social side of them.

"The right move ,if you really think a poker run isn't worth the entry fee,is to stay away from the event. As in far away"

That is what I'm reading. Do I think paying 1000$ to be a official "part" of our local poker run is worth it,No. Would I try to crash the food tent,beer tent,mix it up with the pack during there run,park in someones slip,No. If I decide to bring my boat and park out of the way and watch (which Ive never done but am planning to do this year) can I,yes,without anyones approval.
Is the commentary aimed strictly at those who are trying to be part of the actual run without paying, unclear to me,maybe I am reading too much into it,Smitty