Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129361-power-boat-magazine-wtf.html)

thisistank 05-08-2006 10:54 PM

Re: Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Originally Posted by articfriends
"The right move ,if you really think a poker run isn't worth the entry fee,is to stay away from the event. As in far away"

That is what I'm reading. Do I think paying 1000$ to be a official "part" of our local poker run is worth it,No. Would I try to crash the food tent,beer tent,mix it up with the pack during there run,park in someones slip,No. If I decide to bring my boat and park out of the way and watch (which Ive never done but am planning to do this year) can I,yes,without anyones approval.
Is the commentary aimed strictly at those who are trying to be part of the actual run without paying, unclear to me,maybe I am reading too much into it,Smitty

I think the article is clearly talking about people running with the pack. You read no mention of spectators and it states several mentions of people running with the pack.

And if I thought the article was refering to spectators, I'd be pissed too. But he's not talking about spectators at all.

Tank

jdnichols 05-10-2006 07:11 PM

The parasites the article refers to are those that hide out in a cove near the course and jump out when a group comes by to see how he competes. Screwing up when he doesn't know the group is being held back by a group leader due to agreement with the Coast Guard and getting all excited when he's in the lead.

It's happened too many times on our runs. If we catch them now, (by picture or what ever) we'll publish their behavior on our B-safe website so other event producers know and can be forwarned. Hopefully a little pere pressure will make a differance.

Now, what would you name the boaters that calls me just after an event and sure would like their photos or some of that video our helicopter just happened to take of them while they ran with our fleet, or jumped in line at our photo station and got their pictures taken?

They just can't understand why it costs so much to get their pictures, our helicopter and photographer was just there anyways!

Or how about the "really cool" ones that post on a web site that they are going to the event because they know a buddy who will get them in for the free pizza and beer on Friday night. Yeah, they can make one wrist band go a long way :evilb:

Think I'll quit before I get myself upset :)

Jim

PhantomChaos 05-22-2006 10:55 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: Nice post Jim!!

jdnichols 05-23-2006 01:08 AM

:D :D :D

Pantera1 05-23-2006 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by jdnichols
The parasites the article refers to are those that hide out in a cove near the course and jump out when a group comes by to see how he competes. Screwing up when he doesn't know the group is being held back by a group leader due to agreement with the Coast Guard and getting all excited when he's in the lead.

And I thought all them boats was just sloow :drink:

Steamin Rice 05-23-2006 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jdnichols

It's happened too many times on our runs. If we catch them now, (by picture or what ever) we'll publish their behavior on our B-safe website so other event producers know and can be forwarned. Hopefully a little pere pressure will make a differance.

Now, what would you name the boaters that calls me just after an event and sure would like their photos or some of that video our helicopter just happened to take of them while they ran with our fleet, or jumped in line at our photo station and got their pictures taken?

They just can't understand why it costs so much to get their pictures, our helicopter and photographer was just there anyways!

Or how about the "really cool" ones that post on a web site that they are going to the event because they know a buddy who will get them in for the free pizza and beer on Friday night. Yeah, they can make one wrist band go a long way :evilb:

Think I'll quit before I get myself upset :)

Jim

:D :D

I read the article and I took it as a reference to non-paying participants in poker runs, not spectators.

If a person doesn't feel like entering a poker run for some reason but wants to watch from the sidelines as a spectator I think that's great.

On the other hand, if someone thinks the poker run entry fee is too high, then takes their $300k+ boat to all of the card stops, running with the pack of boats, taking helicopter time to get photos of their boat, and using up dock space dedicated to poker run entrants then I think that's wrong.

BajaRunner 05-23-2006 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Steamin Rice

I read the article and I took it as a reference to non-paying participants in poker runs, not spectators.

If a person doesn't feel like entering a poker run for some reason but wants to watch from the sidelines as a spectator I think that's great.

On the other hand, if someone thinks the poker run entry fee is too high, then takes their $300k+ boat to all of the card stops, running with the pack of boats, taking helicopter time to get photos of their boat, and using up dock space dedicated to poker run entrants then I think that's wrong.

I think if it would have been explained like you just did, people wouldnt be pissed off about it.

bluellama 05-23-2006 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Steamin Rice

Steamin' I agree completely......

I stayed out of this thread, until I read the article, now that's out of the way, so here's my 2 cents :D

No where in the article is Matt talking about the spectator fleet, without the spectator fleet the 1000 Islands Poker Run wouldn't be the event that it is. He is talking about the fleet of dinks who think it is cool to run beside the registered boats involved in a Poker Run.
I've been involved with the 1000 Islands Poker Run since it's beginning, first as a Patrol Boat, and for the last 5 years I have been lucky enough to run with the guys from Typhoon Performance Marine.
There has never been an accident involving a registered boat in this safe well organized run, (doesn't mean it's any safer than any other run, just luckier so far) but there has been at least 2 serious accidents involving smaller boats chasing the pack. If you want the protection of the Medical Boats, and the expertise of the Organizing committee, then pay up, if you don't want to pay, hang on the docks, hang in the harbour, or hang in a cove, and watch the ORGANIZED run blow by. If you want to follow the pack, (remember there are 3 of them in the 1000 Islands) at least have the courtesy to run within your abilities so that the Medical team that the paying registrants arranged for isn't pulling your sorry ass out of the water.

How many boaters visit the 1000 Islands during the Poker Run, but have no local knowledge of the area ?
Do you buy charts, load your GPS, hook up with local boaters, or just try to chase the fleet and try to miss the granite ?

Dregsz 05-24-2006 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jayl13
Like I said now I just bought the new one and Ill be competitive but I BOUGHT into it not earned it. J

Is there any way to get into a bigger, faster boat without buying it?

How could you earn it?

Just drive it safe and have fun,

Escape Velocity 06-03-2006 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
We put on a event here in Northern Michigan called Boyne Thunder www.boynethunder.com and we feel the need for spectators, in fact most of our town pulls together to welcome all boaters and we find ways for spectators to have fun, carnivals, games, pub crawls, ect... because in the end everyone benefits, we raise alot of money for charity.
As for the dinners and party's we have a fair charge (considering the cost of the boats and that all of the money is going to charity) for spectators, NOT THIEVES to get in and look at he boats and talk to the owners.
Most of the boaters love people looking at there boats and talking about them, thats why alot of these paint jobs scream LOOK AT ME. And look at the engines and all of that chrome do you really think these guys spend thousands of dollars and put in hundreds of hours polishing because they don't have anything else to do? No they raise there hatches and love to show it off. I have lost volunteer boats that after helping, watching and talking to to poker runners are now participants. I do have a suggestion for people that love to watch these events, contact the organizers and see if there is anything they can do to help...You never know...someday you might be out there in the fastest boat leading the pack. But everyone has to start somewhere and no one should ever feel like a THIEF. Sorry for rambling on but THANKS, JB

JB - you organize a top shelf event where the entire town of Boyne rolls out the red carpet to the participants as well as spectators. It's really a great atmosphere. I've participated in "Smoke on the Water" with its $1,000 entry fee and I know the feeling of having non-participants "run with the pack" beside me. That's why, even though "Boyne Thunder" passes right in front of our lake home, I won't drive my boat in a way that anyone would confuse me as a participant out of respect for the people that have paid for the fun of running in the pack. I'm floating around taking pictures, and watching as the boats go out to and return from Lake Michigan. I really enjoy walking the docks and talking "shop" with the boat owners who I've found to be great people, and I try to spend money at the local food vendors to support your worthy cause. I think everyone here would agree with your approach to providing a fun, safe, and inclusive poker run experience.