Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129361-power-boat-magazine-wtf.html)

timewarp 05-06-2006 04:59 PM

Re: Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

I was at the Desert Storm Run, and Bob Teague mentioned that article in the drivers meeting in the morning, maybe the wording was too harsh but I agree with the premis behind the article, the insurance and Coast Guard are going to make it very hard to have large Poker Runs if they aren't done safely, the people in the run were required to be at a mandatory drivers meeting where all the danger spots were pointed out, the safety teams in the choppers gave us some instruction, and there was discussion about what was acceptable as a high performance flotation device. People that just ran along with the pack did not hear that information so no matter how safe of a boater they think they are they did not have information about what was going on. I also saw people at both the lunch on Friday and the dinner on Saturday that were not paid participants of the run eating at both events. I think the article was aimed at the people who show up at these events, jump in with the pack of boats, crash the sponsored parties. I personally don't feel that there is a problem with boats that want to show up and watch but to say that the runs cost too much is funny, the Desert Storm run was $250 if you entered before March 31st, and included 2 Tshirts, 2 card hands, lunch on Friday, Pizza and beer on Friday night, Dinner on Saturday, plus the chance to win some big prizes in the Poker Run. For someone to say the runs are too expensive and then go on to say they had a $500 bar tab doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm not a high budget person, not the biggest boat in the world, but have always been treated great by all the people at the Poker Run and I believe that there is at least $250 value in the run, if you don't agree that you would get that value then I agree, don't show up, we paid for the pleasure of running in the Poker Run safely with other boats doing the same thing, why should someone who hasn't paid, hasn't been covered on the safety aspects be allowed to enjoy the same benefits that I did pay for?

Caleb

rickdarling 05-06-2006 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by timewarp
.......I also saw people at both the lunch on Friday and the dinner on Saturday that were not paid participants of the run eating at both events. I think the article was aimed at the people who show up at these events, jump in with the pack of boats, crash the sponsored parties. I personally don't feel that there is a problem with boats that want to show up and watch...........
Caleb

I agree that the article was harsh but it was on target with respect to free loaders at the meals and parties. No problem at all with Spectators.

Here's Johnny 05-06-2006 05:25 PM

Timewarp......I don't know if the comment about a $500 bar tab is aimed at me but if it is I would ask that you go back and read my original post.....I in no way ever complained about the entrance fee being to high...and then ran a $500 bar bill...I only stated that a few years back before I ever entered a run I would go and hang around (as a spectator) to get a feel for what was going on and how safe it was for me to run next time. I reiterate that running upfront with the boats and reaping the benifits of paid participants is completely wrong....

CAP071 05-06-2006 05:34 PM

The Coast Guard looks at speed boaters as Drunk and Reckless Drivers.

timewarp 05-06-2006 05:46 PM

Wasn't meant for you in particular, I kind of mixed posts up as I was replying, it just seems like a lot of people who have $100,000 plus boats complain about the cost of Poker runs, they are not cheap to put on, insurance, safety people, it takes a bunch of money to put on a well organized event like Desert Storm, or the SCOPE Catalina run(the only 2 major Poker runs I've been to). And the money that these 2 runs charge is very fair for the value returned to the participants in my opinion.

This article hits close to home for me because we put on a couple local events and there are always 2 or 3 boats that tie up at the docks we have paid to reserve, hang out with all the people as if they are part of the event. One of our events is $30.00, that included renting a slip at the Marina, and raffle tickets for the prizes, trophys, soda and water. Over 50% of the money went back out in the raffle as cash, we made no profit but there were boats that came in tied up at the marina and weren't willing to pay the $$$

Again sorry that the way I worded it sounded like I was talking about you, I've just heard too many complaints about the $$$ from people willing to spend lots on a bar tab, boat fuel, hotel bills but won't put out the money for the event.

Caleb

Here's Johnny 05-06-2006 05:52 PM

No problem timewarp.. :drink: ...all good points you have made... and good examples of the "Parasitic" people the writer was speaking about.....

dhlaw 05-06-2006 05:59 PM

Here on the east coast poker runs are starting to cost upwards of $800. Big money?? No, but add in $600 for fuel, $200 for extra crew charge, $500 for lodging, $250 for fuel to transport, membership in the organization for $300... blah blah blah..... you start to examine where your $3000 went last weekend. Frankly, I can afford to spend the money but I always do a cost/benefit analysis. The fact is that the runs offer little more than a gathering that we could do on our owm. $250 is a deal for a run, $750-$800 is not and thats my point. That doesnt even address the safety issues which irrespective of what you think the drivers meeting accomplishes when that flag drops its effing auto pilot for alot of these guys... wide open or crash. Watch the videos of 100mph 30 footers chine walking with 6 people in the boat, or 161 mph cats running without proper safety gear..... You think a piss ant vest from west marine will help if they blow over?? Even a full impact Lifeline will be lucky to help. That doesnt even address the danger to other boaters not involved in the run.... There is a place to run these speeds, its called OSS or SBI. Want to show everybody what your boats got then get over there and do it, they would love to have ya..... In the mean time we need to start looking at the document that Polli and the Be SAfe guys have been working on. Common sense guidelines for events.

jayboat 05-06-2006 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jayl13
Once I get the apache, Ill see about having a fun run with some of the local to south Florida guys. I think one thing though about their fee's are they have to carry insurance for these things (but god only knows why????)
You get 5 friends together and you run from Palm beach inlet to lauderdale and then to shooters for lunch, no insurance fees necessary, but you get 60 boats to run from palm beach to lauderdale and have 2 stops on the way, then you need some kabillion dollar insurance policy? WTF is with that?
Boggles the mind.
J

People are not slow to sue these days... any type of organized event carries some liability.

We are so lucky here in s florida... we tend to look at boating a little differently. I think those who travel from colder areas, or anywhere for that matter, appreciate the convenience an organized event gives them (and I don't really see them as overpriced).

We have been using your method on our first two fun runs with Ft Myers Offshore- organized only by thread postings over in our forum. Our last get-together a couple weeks ago was an incredible day on the water... 19 boats, tons of fun and no entry fee.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=127734

dhlaw 05-06-2006 06:35 PM

I like that SCOPE rents a chopper and gives ample time to each boat. The eggbeaters that they use here in Florida are not that expensive to rent... we could do a run with aerial footage for less than 4 people's entry fee.

Jupiter Sunsation 05-06-2006 06:49 PM

Dhlaw, Jay,

I agree with your statement but keep in mind that for guys like Stu at FPC this is his job so a proift is the idea. Your argument is like telling a bar owner that beers should be $1 each since you could buy them cold at Publix for that vs. $5 at his bar. I think the article in PB could have been worded better but the idea is ok. We don't need Poker Run crashers!
The event should be paid entrees only, but out on open water I couldn't blame a guy for running hard with the pack just because they were in the same waterway doesn't mean the non paid guy should get his machine back on the trailer. BUt by the same token I would hope he wouldn't raft up to the lunch stop and expect a free lunch!
I too will be at the FPC Daytona run and I know I could go to lunch in St Augustine, dinner at the Hilton and drinks at Stock Exchange for far less than the entry fee but I wouldn't get the free T shirt! :D