Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129361-power-boat-magazine-wtf.html)

articfriends 05-07-2006 11:41 PM

Re: Power Boat Magazine....WTF!!!

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
We 1st off I can't speak for other Poker Runs, but in ours (Boyne Thunder) the board starts meeting in March once a week for the run that is in the middle of July, in mid June it is up to twice a week.
Not a single person that helps put on this event collects a dime, we all do it for the love of the sport and to raise money for kids with cancer.
2nd DHLaw, I think you are a Lawyer and I respect that but for me standing on the outside looking in, I can't see why Lawyers charge so much, but you being inside can. I'm sure you could type all day adding up all of the expenses you occur, I know know my Lawyer does whenever I get his bill. LOL
Our run cost $600 to enter and all of that goes to just put on the event. And it is a 1st class event, gourmet meals at a 5 star restaurant and all. All of our profits come from sponsors and spectator (not thieves) activities. YES you can find ways for to collect $$$ from spectators to help the kids.
3rd I don't see how you can have party crashers, We know how many people we can comfortably hold at a party and limit it at that, Boaters tickets 1st, Sponsors tickets 2nd and then the additional tickets are sold at the doors for spectators really wanting to pay the $$$ to get in to the partys.
All of the boats are assigned slips for the weekend when they sign in on Friday. So I think if the run is run correctly there is no room for so called Crashers or Thieves.
We do however limit our event to under 50 boats, we feel that with more then that it would be to hard to control and safety is our #1 concern. I do have to say that I'm very proud of our participants they are all very professional and respect the rules and other boaters.
We have our own safety patrol, Rescue Boats and the Coast Guard, DNR and the Sheriffs Marine Patrol clear the course before the boats come thru. Reckless boaters will not be tolerated. Thanks, JB

Hey JB4B,if I enter your p/r can I get a complimentary tow back if I blow a outdrive out on the water :evilb: . How big does the water usually get on the far run out to the islands? Smitty

JB4Boyne 05-08-2006 12:29 AM

Well Smitty it isn't a race so maybe you should take it alittle easy on that Baja so you don't blow the drive, besides you know how them Cat guys get when you pass them with your V. :p That time of year it is usally not to bad 2'-3's, last year Lake Michigan was almost like glass, Nykamp was upset, he wanted to show the cats how the Apache's handled the ruff

BattleCry 05-08-2006 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by dhlaw
Well, since you asked....... Stu is asking $550 for driver and nav and extra for more passengers. It is starting to get to the point where just I wont go. Jax used to be the bargain of the poker run circuit but now FPC has joined them and the prices are creeping up.... I havent really figured out what the cost increase is for. I do know that Bill Pyburn puts on the BEST run I have been on. The party, the food, the location is fantastic and run is well organized. I will always go to JAX as long as Bill is in charge!!

Stu puts on great runs and throws a great party. His prices, on the other hand, are insane. Glad to see that it took, a bright guy like yourself, this long to figure it out.

Dean Ferry 05-08-2006 06:45 AM

Does anyone know the $$ of the JAX Poker run?
Thanks,
Dean

Dean Ferry 05-08-2006 07:05 AM

Also,
If they don't get the BRUSH Fires under control here in Brevard and Volusia Counties soon, you might not be able to get to Daytona this weekend for the Poker Run. I-95, SR-528, SR-44 are shut down everyday, multiple times a day for fire and smoke. :( They have evacuated ~800 people in New Smyrna Beach right NOW!!
Dean

CigDaze 05-08-2006 07:57 AM

Well, I'm glad PB published another idiotic piece.....Just gives me another reason to be glad I cancelled my subscription.

And for someone to hold the position that because one didn't pay some outrageous entrance fee they should be disallowed to run alongside or follow along at a safe distance is simply a ludicrous, separatist, elitist bullsht stance.

Until your organization owns or leases the public waterway and/or the destination establishment, there's no basis to disallow anyone from spectating.

And the Nascar anaology is quite poor....the track's are privately owned, the water is not.

:rolleyes:

Jupiter Sunsation 05-08-2006 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Also,
If they don't get the BRUSH Fires under control here in Brevard and Volusia Counties soon, you might not be able to get to Daytona this weekend for the Poker Run. I-95, SR-528, SR-44 are shut down everyday, multiple times a day for fire and smoke. :( They have evacuated ~800 people in New Smyrna Beach right NOW!!
Dean

Hey Dean we can launch south of the flames and smoke and run up to Daytona on the water! :D

The Jax Poker Run is $400/ thru FPC $475
www.jaxriverrallypokerrun.com

Dean Ferry 05-08-2006 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Hey Dean we can launch south of the flames and smoke and run up to Daytona on the water! :D

The Jax Poker Run is $400/ thru FPC $475
www.jaxriverrallypokerrun.com

JS,
Yes you could launch in Titusville and drive up from there! Thanks for the info on the J'ville poker run.
Dean

Panther 05-08-2006 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Well, I'm glad PB published another idiotic piece.....Just gives me another reason to be glad I cancelled my subscription.

Ditto! :drink:

muffin 05-08-2006 09:21 AM

I wanted to be a spectator also. I have a older 30ft Panther...something I truely enjoy, but not something I want to enter due to the fact, I never been in a poker run. Now, I feel a little intimidated to even watch, because I dont want to be labeled as a "thief". There is a run coming up in mid July, lake Erie...time to think if I should go or stay home.