Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   DROWNING: PLEASE watch your kids on the water (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129415-drowning-please-watch-your-kids-water.html)

PatriYacht 05-07-2006 12:06 AM

Re: DROWNING: PLEASE watch your kids on the water

We were at a Ky Derby party at our lake, and a 5 yr old fell in, he said his beads fell off and he was trying to get them. Thank goodness his mom was close by when it happened. Poor little guy, I had to round up dry clothes for him, but thankfuly he was ok.

itilldo 05-07-2006 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by ReggieRaft
Its also the law. That also makes it easier to get them to whear them.

Kids don't know the law :( ...but they know Mommy and Daddy's law...leave the truck, life jacket on.......PERIOD!

Magic Medicine 05-07-2006 05:59 AM

I hope the little girl is ok.

Drownings are pretty common on the southern half of the big pond, ususally a couple a summer. I just wonder where the parents fit into the equation? Why the hell were they not watching their kid, this really pisses me off when I see it occur on the beach. I can still remember my dad screaming at me and my friends if we wonder out to far in the water. My parents always watched me like a hawk while we were boating. As a new father, I plan on doing the same thing with my son. Bottom line be a responcible parent!!

Aggressor 25 05-07-2006 07:32 AM

This is very sad news; a parent's worst nightmare. I am all choked up with visions of what this scene must have been like. It sounds very much like a cove we hang out in with our kids. With a 7 yr old daughter and a 6 month old son, I am always over cautious. Everyone please insist on them wearing a lifevest before they step on the dock.

CAP071 05-07-2006 08:40 AM

I have seen this all too many times. :(

Parents are just plain STUPID S.O.B. 's

I always hear people bad mouth the Coast Guard how we are jerks and break balls.

I can't tell you how many boardings we do where there are no kids wearing PFD's :mad:

Then we only look further to find out they don't even have any "kiddie" sizes on the boat, but they have plenty of beer on board :mad:

I won't even get into kids riding up on the bow :rolleyes:

t500hps 05-07-2006 08:58 AM

It's 10:00 am and I can't stop thinking about this! Woke up twice last night thinking about it. What if I asked if they needed help, why didn't they scream for help early on, why didn't they look in the water FIRST? An 80 year old is expected to go, but not 10 year old kids!!!

CAP071 05-07-2006 09:05 AM

t500hps I know how you feel. I can remember my first CPR victim. I tried my best and felt helpless waiting for the helio to arrive. :(

There are times in our lives when we are put to the test and it's at these times we have to stand tall and do what is expected of us. If you did all you could possibly do, then you did your BEST. Don't look back and second guess yourself.

Racegirl3 05-07-2006 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps
It's 10:00 am and I can't stop thinking about this! Woke up twice last night thinking about it. What if I asked if they needed help, why didn't they scream for help early on, why didn't they look in the water FIRST?

I think you answered you own question ....

Originally Posted by t500hps
An 80 year old is expected to go, but not 10 year old kids!!!

Prater 05-07-2006 09:15 AM

That is tragic. I was also watched very closely by my parents at the beach. Never on the boat without a PFD and I am the same with my son who is 2 now. I have thought about the dock situation and I will most likely have him wear a CG approved suit. The few times he has been on the dock he has headed straight for the water, trying to drag me along as I keep a hand on him...

Cignificant 05-07-2006 09:18 AM

Durn Russ, thats horrible! I sure hope the girl pulls through somehow. What a way to start the season...