Notices

Satellite radio in the boat

Old 05-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Satellite radio in the boat

Originally Posted by Linster
Did you use the little car antenna under the dash or did you use the big dill doe looking one? Went though dash Fiberglass OK?
I have three of them under the dash two are the Puck style and one is the round type for the GPS speedo. I have yet to see a "Dilldoe" antenna
Old 05-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott
Stop the antenna madness

Please just mount it under the dash and enjoy not looking at it or trying to figure out how to paint it! I promise you it will work just fine

Make sure it is sitting upright on something and is not directly under a piece of lead
I believe you but don't understand. I have lost the signal when under a canopy of oak trees. How does it work under the dash? I'm assuming it needs a clear view of the sky.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Sat antennas work much better with a clear view of the sky meaning nothing to block the signal. Fiberglass will not block the signal as long as it has nothing in it to shield or reflect the incoming R.F.

If you put the antenna under a large Oak tree chances are good that it will shield the signal from reaching the antenna. The moisture content and the foliage have this effect. I am not a tree guy so I can not say exactly what it is that blocks it. When I drive under a bridge or gas station overhang it knocks out my signal most of the time. But with fiberglass, and glass it is a different story this material has very little shielding effect. The new satellites are very high powered compared to the old 8' dish years and will only get better.

The reason you hear "mount on the outside of vehicle" is to eliminate any chance of service problems caused by shielding I of course searched for the least obstructed area before I mounted the antennas and also used the signal finder in the radios menu to find the best spot. I use my radio all of the time on the boat and have never had an outage. My Speedo has never stopped working and my plotter is always on course.

I always answer on the "where should I" threads because of real experience not just theory. I would try it first before a permanent mount.

"Sirius uses a trio of Loral FS1300 satellites in unique elliptical orbits in an effort to avoid the problems posed by geostationary satellites.

The orbits, shaped like figure eights, allow the satellites to appear higher in the sky than XM’s, cutting down on the potential for a listener to be out of range of a satellite signal -- and allowing Sirius to have a much smaller number of repeaters.

Sirius’ repeater network also avoids the need for specialized antennas that can track the company’s non-geostationary satellites as they move about the sky, Sirius feeds its repeaters using capacity on a geostationary satellite leased from a traditional satellite operator. Listeners can’t tell that the signals they receive via the repeaters do not travel over Sirius’ fleet of satellites.

The Sirius satellites each spend about 16 hours over the United States, then whip around the other side of the Earth and return eight hours later for another stint hovering over Sirius’ listening area, according to Ted Hessler, the company’s vice president of space segment and enterprise operations.

Two Sirius spacecraft cover the United States at any given time, Hessler said."

Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Registered

I tried mine under the dash and it didn't work. Maybe it was too close to the gauges, but that was the only spot I could put it.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
I tried mine under the dash and it didn't work. Maybe it was too close to the gauges, but that was the only spot I could put it.
Did you try it right side up?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Registered

yes.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

With that in mind, I should be able to mount in the cabin. Which is where my stereo is anyway. Guess I'll get mine this week and try it that way.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dill Doe style

XM Radio. I have a little black one that looks like a small mouse of a computer as well.

Can change the angle for weird chics.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Linster; 05-08-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Linster
Dill Doe style
I might get one of them and mount it right on the bow. It can be fun for the girls and Russ's seat... dual purpose.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-08-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Little KY and Russ might go to town

Quick Reply: Satellite radio in the boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.