Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "Thank *goodness* I was not wearing my safety/kill switch lanyard!" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129573-thank-%2Agoodness%2A-i-not-wearing-my-safety-kill-switch-lanyard.html)

vagrant 05-09-2006 08:22 AM

Re: "Thank *goodness* I was not wearing my safety/kill switch lanyard!"

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I have (1) Kill switch laynard for both my motors, in the Nordic. I don't use it while we are idleing in the Manatee zones, I'm moving around in the boat, getting sunscreen on the kids, etc. Once we get on the plane, the laynard goes on! :D
Dean

Thanks Dean :drink:

BAJA WILL 05-09-2006 08:28 AM

I use my lanyard I actually purchased one of the arm lanyards from Overtons w/ whistle, I just cut the PWC accesories off of it, I got the purple one so it matchs my boat. Its allot more convient to slip it on over my wrist and go.

We have learned first hand that chit can happen, the two seconds it takes to put it on can save you or someone elses life. If thats not enough to make you wear one, I can guarantee that if you have a accident and cause injury they are going to sue the living chit out of you (and sometimes insurance doesn't cover it all)

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...=31029&fcat=3V

WILL :rolleyes:

Outdrive1 05-09-2006 08:42 AM

To be perfectly honest, I usually forget to put my lanyard on. I don't have a problem wearing it, I just need to get into the habit of using it just like I'm in the habit of using my seat belt.

sakoutis3 05-09-2006 08:55 AM

When I'm on plane or in heavy seas I use the lanyard. If I'm idleing up the river I don't bother. As far as the question about one kill switch per motor, I have all 3 engines on 1 switch. Even if your 10 miles offshore all by yourself using the lanyard is a good idea. If you do get thrown out of the boat the last you don't want to see is your own boat coming back around to bite ya in the butt!

Audiofn 05-09-2006 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by vagrant
We were on our way to Charleston last week and my starboard motor shut down While running about 55 miles a hour . I checked my lanyards both were still in place. After some trouble shooting I found the Kill switch to be bad. I was thinking of moving the other motor to the other switch and just having one kill switch for both motors . Do you guys see any reason for having a kill switch for each motor?

David

Plusses and minusses to each. APBA/SBI requires a kill switch for each motor and each person on board. In otherwords if you have two people on board and twins then a total of 4 kill switches. If you have one and it goes bad then I hope that you know how to jump the switch as you will be needing a tow instead of limping in on one motor. Lastly I keep a extra set of caps visible and let my wife know what they are for in case I am ever tossed and she is not she will be able to put the caps on and drive back to get me. Probably not because she will be freeking out but the thought is there......

There have been a few situations on screem and fly over the years were the guys boats come around and almost hit or hit the drivers when they get tossed. Talk about a bad day!!! :eek: :eek:

sakoutis3 05-09-2006 09:14 AM

I know a couple of guys wives that would just keep going. :D

Audiofn 05-09-2006 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sakoutis3

Come to think of it....... Your probably right she does have a lot of "accident" insurance on me!!!! :eek: :eek:

jb 05-09-2006 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by formula31
How about the VA law that limits speed to 65 on the road. You adhere to that too?

speed limits were set to provide the greatest fuel economy... Safety was a by-product of said speed

Wobble 05-09-2006 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by vagrant
We were on our way to Charleston last week and my starboard motor shut down While running about 55 miles a hour . I checked my lanyards both were still in place. After some trouble shooting I found the Kill switch to be bad. I was thinking of moving the other motor to the other switch and just having one kill switch for both motors . Do you guys see any reason for having a kill switch for each motor?

David

the fact that you were able to make it home on one motor justifies two switches, redundancy.. In your case I would replace both with new ones.

R Addiction 05-09-2006 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by sakoutis3

:D Damn thats funny in it's own way!!! :D