Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "Thank *goodness* I was not wearing my safety/kill switch lanyard!" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129573-thank-%2Agoodness%2A-i-not-wearing-my-safety-kill-switch-lanyard.html)

dhlaw 05-09-2006 11:48 AM

Re: "Thank *goodness* I was not wearing my safety/kill switch lanyard!"

I have developed a new testing procedure........

http://media.putfile.com/ejection

Chris288 05-09-2006 11:50 AM

Guy here on the hudson hit a wave in his 25 outlaw, bounced out onto his bow and into the drink, boat circled for about 45 minutes nearly taking him out as well as a bunch of moored blow-boats before she over-heated and stalled.

formula31 05-09-2006 11:57 AM

Interesting debate. Personal freedoms vrs public responsibility. It sounds wayyy too much like a liberal cause for my taste. You dont really care about the people who might be killed, you're concern is for your own pocket book and your belief that any boat wreck is going to raise your insurance premiums. "lets all restrict everyones freedoms so that our insurance premiums go down" Not likely. Check out the statistics, boating safety improves almost every year. They are going to raise our premiums until we stop paying them. This is a replay of the "pics of people boating in a poker run without jackets on are going to raise our premiums" thread.

Sydwayz 05-09-2006 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by dhlaw
I have developed a new testing procedure........

http://media.putfile.com/ejection

Totally different situation. Brett later explained they were in the middle of a race, and it was not convenient to pull into the pits or find a porta-potty. They both REALLY had to go pee, and did not want make a mess in the boat. Self ejection was the quickest means to relief.

dhlaw 05-09-2006 12:02 PM

Actually, I was kicking Tyler Crocketts ass so bad I felt guilty and tossed myself out of the boat so that he would not have hurt feelings...........

Sydwayz 05-09-2006 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by formula31
Interesting debate. Personal freedoms vrs public responsibility. It sounds wayyy too much like a liberal cause for my taste. You dont really care about the people who might be killed, you're concern is for your own pocket book and your belief that any boat wreck is going to raise your insurance premiums. "lets all restrict everyones freedoms so that our insurance premiums go down" Not likely. Check out the statistics, boating safety improves almost every year. They are going to raise our premiums until we stop paying them. This is a replay of the "pics of people boating in a poker run without jackets on are going to raise our premiums" thread.

Not true Tom. I am definately more concerned with public safety than I am the insurance issue, but both are valid points. My main point is that if a 3-second task (if that) of enabling your boat to be operated in a much safer manner is so simple, why are some folks continually not following said practice?

Iggy 05-09-2006 02:30 PM

If my boat managed to take off with me, or anyone at the controls, I couldn't live with myself if an innocent person or child was injured, maimed, or killed as result of me not taking 10 seconds to connect the kill switch. It's not a matter of personal liberties or freedom.
We all do things like not wear seat belts, smoke, use dangerous chemicals, work around dangerous machines, etc. These, for the most part, only endanger ourselves.

formula31 05-09-2006 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Not true Tom. I am definately more concerned with public safety than I am the insurance issue, but both are valid points. My main point is that if a 3-second task (if that) of enabling your boat to be operated in a much safer manner is so simple, why are some folks continually not following said practice?

My engines with wet exhaust would not survive a shut off at high rpm, they injest water and lockup and bend things. Still better than flying off by itself but an errant shutdown would be catastrophic for me. I am looking at the proximity sensors and if they end up with a good track record I think thats the way to go. No inconvenience, no fuss, no muss. Anybody on here using them?

I quess the unbelievable behavior I see on the roads everyday that I consider much more dangerous and life threatening is of greater interest to me than a boat flying along on its own. I think the area one boats in plays a part in the risk too. Im sure many of the crowded inland waterways would be a bad place for a boat on the loose. Great Lakes or the ocean, not so likely to actually hit someone.

US1 Fountain 05-09-2006 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by CanDo
With one kill switch killing multiple engines at the same time, what happens if your one & only kill switch goes bad? What do you do when you need to only kill just one engine & not the other? CanDo

My single switch simple just breaks the circut. Its a double pole switch, so only 1 switch for the 2 motors. If it goes bad, you can just connect the 2 wires together for each motor and away you go.