Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "Thank *goodness* I was not wearing my safety/kill switch lanyard!" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129573-thank-%2Agoodness%2A-i-not-wearing-my-safety-kill-switch-lanyard.html)

fazznick 05-09-2006 10:19 PM

Re: "Thank *goodness* I was not wearing my safety/kill switch lanyard!"

I think they need to figure out a way to make the boat beep when the lanyard is not used. Its not an issue of freedom. When a car is wrecked it will come to a stop, not keep going to kill someone else. My car beeps whenever I'm going over 5 mph and my seat belt is not on. It can be annoying buy my seat belt goes on every time.

Sydwayz 05-09-2006 11:36 PM

Great thread started by dukenrock:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=129728

BAJA WILL 05-10-2006 02:33 PM

Vagrant

I can see your point about the lanyard sliding off the wrist, but mine and the one I posted the link to, actually tighten up around your wrist, also are usually worn closer to the elbow. If they work being thrown from a seadoo I hope it won't come off :D Plus I like it matching :drink:

WILL

Sydwayz 05-10-2006 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Vagrant

I can see your point about the lanyard sliding off the wrist, but mine and the one I posted the link to, actually tighten up around your wrist, also are usually worn closer to the elbow. If they work being thrown from a seadoo I hope it won't come off :D Plus I like it matching :drink:

WILL

In "BT Physics" I think the force that it would take to pull the lanyard down your wrist and over your hand would need to be greater than the amount of force to pull the lanyard clip/ring/cup off its base. It only takes a quick light snatch to tug mine out, whereas the wristband coming off would require quite a sustained tug to allow for such to happen; as long as you had a wristband that was worn tightly on the wrist.

Bob280Silencer 05-10-2006 03:24 PM

Haven't been wearing mine but I will in the future.A friend in a 27 Beak hit one of Lake Ponchatrains famous"where did that come from" waves.Landed bad,threw him on the floor and broke his wifes hip!!Had he been thrown(at 70) and she couldn't get out of the seat to get to the stick,it would have been much worse.Proximity sensor?Someone know about these? BOB

Panther 05-10-2006 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just curious, has anyone ever said this or heard it said? If so, I'd like to know the reasoning.

Accidents happen... yep. I am not stating anything about driving ability or what causes accidents.

There are way to many bad stories about accidents, and the chances of saving life and property are so much higher when wearing one.

Who do you think is buying new boats after they continue on after an incident and end up destroyed? Each and every one of us is. Nickel by C-note each year on our insurance premiums.

Yeah... This one time we were cruising at 70 mph and ran down to the cabin to get a Corona and fogot that I had my lanyard attached to my waist! :eek:

Ok ok, that was a joke! :D

pullmytrigger 05-11-2006 09:41 AM

I normally only wear mine on Poker Runs.......I have a good set up that clips easily to my life jacket.......maybe I should look into getting some sort of wrist band set up going to use it on a regular basis.......

Longrange4u 05-11-2006 06:13 PM

Gents... great thread... I am building my 22 Scarab with a 502... I am going to put a kill switch in it now after reading this. Thanks all!!

stecz20 05-11-2006 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool
I never use them....they are way too much of a hassle!!!!

you prob said the same thing about rubbers.... :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

US1 Fountain 05-11-2006 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I normally only wear mine on Poker Runs.......I have a good set up that clips easily to my life jacket.......maybe I should look into getting some sort of wrist band set up going to use it on a regular basis.......

Since I keep my wrist band hanging over the ignition keys, it's so easy to slip on. It's right there always. It's an elastic type, not a snap/buckle type band. Heck, I could probably slip it on as I'm being tossed overboard! :) Since I don't wear a life jacket, the wrist band only makes sense. Works for every situation, jacket or not. Make it as effortless as possible to wear, then possibly more will.