Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How much gas to Catalina............. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129597-how-much-gas-catalina.html)

Bolts21 05-08-2006 06:43 PM

How much gas to Catalina.............

from Newport? I will be heading out the next week or so and was curious if anyone knows how much on average they use? I have an 85 gallon tank. I figure a little more then half tank used their and back(26 miles), but just checking.

Reed Jensen 05-08-2006 07:20 PM

Re: How much gas to Catalina.............

It all depends on your fuel consumption. Are you single engine? Twin? Triple? Turbines?......... *gasp*... outboard?........ :D

Fountain38SC 05-08-2006 07:21 PM

More info - boat, motors and # of, rpm . . .

Semper Fi 05-08-2006 07:53 PM

There is a gas dock in Avalon. I would suggest filling-up there. Better to be safe than sorry :D

H20 Toie 05-08-2006 08:12 PM

I used 65 gal going there and back this weekend with twin 500efi's and running about 60 to 70

Also it is 26 miles in a straight line which you might not do depending on the waves or sea life, we traveled off course to watch the dolphins

Bolts21 05-08-2006 08:31 PM

I have a 29' Warlock World Class, 496 ho single with bravo 26 lab prop. Will probably cruise on the 60mph range.

H20 Toie 05-08-2006 10:49 PM

Well you shouldn't have any problem with gas, but make sure you have Vessel Assist membership and a vhf radio. Things can break and since you only have one engine better to be safe than sorry.

Also when you say that you have 85 gal does that mean how much it holds or when you run out.

Mine holds 170 but runs out at 140 :( ( hello Vessel assist)

Bolts21 05-09-2006 12:30 AM

great point! Have a Garmin and VHf, as well as sea tow and will make sure to fill up out there to be safe.

Reed Jensen 05-09-2006 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by h20 toie
Well you shouldn't have any problem with gas, but make sure you have Vessel Assist membership and a vhf radio. Things can break and since you only have one engine better to be safe than sorry.

Also when you say that you have 85 gal does that mean how much it holds or when you run out.

Mine holds 170 but runs out at 140 :( ( hello Vessel assist)

You must have a problem with the placement of the pick-up in the tank. Do you really drag around thirty gallons you can't burn?....... :eek:

Steamin Rice 05-09-2006 06:02 PM

I have twin 525 EFI's in a 34' boat, and I typically burn about 60 gallons of fuel roundtrip from Newport to Avalon cruising at about 60 MPH.. If you top off your tank you should be fine, but you may want to add some in Avalon if you are worried about it.