Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129738-thinking-buying-beater-truck-installing-re-fueling-tank.html)

NJgr8ful 05-10-2006 03:27 AM

Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank.

I'm thinking of buying a truck and installing a transfer tank in there strictly for refueling the boat. Has anyone else done this set-up yet on the bed of a pick-up ... and possibly provide some clues of things to consider?!? :cool:

I know the pump needs to be GAS rated for lubrication and the laws could be sticky on transporting the fuel around (I am checking into this). But I am really only going about 1.5 miles down, my 35mph street, to gas station, fueling up, turning around, and 1.5 miles back home. No real danger or risk there IMHO :)
Here's a site I found while searching and see some other posts on OSO using them ... please fire away some feedback! Thanks Chris :drink: :drink:
transferflow tanks

RedDog382 05-10-2006 08:38 AM

Re: Thinking of buying a beater truck and installing a RE-fueling tank.

My understanding is that DOT restricts the amount of fuel transported to 100 gallons or less. I have a 100 gal tank in the back of my truck because in the past I had access to race fuel, but frankly it always made me a little nervous when you consider becoming toast if some ahole pulls out in front of you, rear-ends you, or tosses a cigarette butt in your direction.

Is it really worth the cost of another vehicle and insurance?

Dean Ferry 05-10-2006 08:45 AM

I just put my (6) 7.5 gallon gas cans in the back of the F-350 and take them to the gas station, SIT them on the ground and fill them up. Then I just lug them down to the dock, and fill the Nordic. Sometimes it takes a couple of trips to fill the 190 gallon tanks on the Nordic, but I try to not let her get too low.
Dean

klaw 05-10-2006 09:13 AM

I have thougfht about doing this also but I can pull the Cig fill it (180 gals max) and have it back on the lift in about 2 1/2-3 hours. The bullet has two tanks and the station I go to has pumps spaced so I can use two pumps at once.

I decided againt the refueliing rig beause I dont think I could actually save any time on a complete fill up. With a 100 gal tank in the truck I would have to make two trips two station. That would 4 pump cycles fill/tank/fill boat twice if I fill boat at station its one pump cycle (two hoses at once). Also the wear and tear on the lawn backing the truck up to the dock then a long enough hose to get to boat twice the time savings does not add up in fact it would probably be longer. I am thinking of one of thise 25 gal fuel caddys for when I just need a little and dont wnat to pull it out for a fill up.

Plus you have all the fun at the gas station of people wanting to talk about that Cigarette boat. I can explain to them yes it truely is a Cigarette boat lol.

Chris Sunkin 05-10-2006 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by klaw
Plus you have all the fun at the gas station of people wanting to talk about that Cigarette boat. I can explain to them yes it truely is a Cigarette boat lol.

"Izzat wun nem see-gar boats?"

Dean Ferry 05-10-2006 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by klaw
I have thougfht about doing this also but I can pull the Cig fill it (180 gals max) and have it back on the lift in about 2 1/2-3 hours. The bullet has two tanks and the station I go to has pumps spaced so I can use two pumps at once.

I decided againt the refueliing rig beause I dont think I could actually save any time on a complete fill up. With a 100 gal tank in the truck I would have to make two trips two station. That would 4 pump cycles fill/tank/fill boat twice if I fill boat at station its one pump cycle (two hoses at once). Also the wear and tear on the lawn backing the truck up to the dock then a long enough hose to get to boat twice the time savings does not add up in fact it would probably be longer. I am thinking of one of thise 25 gal fuel caddys for when I just need a little and dont wnat to pull it out for a fill up.

Klaw,
My neighbor has one of those 25 gallon gas caddy, BUT it's a PIA to get it out of the truck, and down to the dock, plus his is just gravity feed, so he has to lower his boat down into the water to fill. I know you said you could back your truck down to the dock, but I've tried his gas caddy, and I like my way better. More gas, easier to handle, and I don't have to move my boat on the lift. :D
Good luck,
Dean

Panther 05-10-2006 09:25 AM

There was a guy around here who would mix 50/50 race fuel in his boat sometimes. he had a tank in the back of his pick-up.

I've found that the pumps on land are much slower and take way to long to fill anything more than 50 gallons.

A few weeks ago when I had my boat on the trailer I took it over to the local station for 75 gallons. It took me 45 minutes. :eek:

I'll just stick to filling up at the fuel dock. I just don't have the time to run around with a truck anymore. Besides, it's a PITA when you have 21 ft of truck and 40+ ft. of trailer at the local gas station. And the local yocal's asking stupid questions about the boat, I just want to get some gas. :(

NJgr8ful 05-10-2006 09:29 AM

Frank, I'm afraid of 'bad gas' and ruined engines :( :( on the water. I too don't want to lug a 28 gallon caddy around and up and down truck beds. I figured I could get 100' of hose and a 20-30/min pump should do the trick when I back in my driveway.

Tom A. 05-10-2006 11:10 AM

I looked into this idea myself. The main problem is that no transfer tanks are rated for gasoline. It is not just a DOT restriction, but there is an issue with the venting vapors and flammability of gas.

These diesel & turbine guys may be on to some new/old school. :rolleyes: :drink: :rolleyes:

Liquid Fix 05-10-2006 11:52 AM

The best set up that I've seen and been involved with is a converted trailer. We took a double jet ski trailer and installed a 150 gollon tank on it with pump and hose. The rig was small enough that it didn't take up much room when not in use and was pretty cheap to build.....