Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Blowing A Motor Above 100 MPH ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129788-blowing-motor-above-100-mph.html)

glassdave 05-10-2006 09:32 PM

Re: Blowing A Motor Above 100 MPH ???

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
What would happen if you blew a motor or drive On a twin engine boat Cat or V hull ??? For instance if the motor or drive blew and locked up the drive say above 100MPH. :D

why :confused: . . . .do you have motors from JC ? :D :D :p

chad1 05-10-2006 09:41 PM

Knocked The Lower Completely Off At 95 Mph On A 24 Skater And It Did Nt Do Anything Funny.stayed Straight And Slowed Down..

Damn That Was Expensive

MitchStellin 05-10-2006 09:42 PM

I had a Donzi Z33 that had a short, it would cut out an engine at any time (I found it was an exposed ignition wire grounding on the intake) and it always just coasted, this was a very wide boat at 9'3" This is interesting, it looks like it is safe to have a failer at these speeds. Like a tire.... my drivers front blew at 80 and it just coasted to a stop, if I had let go of the wheel it would have pulled but it was not shaking or hard to hold. Like said, anything can happen and it is usually a combination of things that cause an accident, like maybe turning sharp when this happened, or in big waves jumping and it came down on one and hooked, who knows but you always hear how a spin out was due to a drive or engine failure...maybe that is just a standard excuse for driver error (now don't start, this is just my opinion). This thread seems to show it is a non event. How about at higher speeds? Say 150+. I always worried about this when running at 70 or so in the AT, it was much narrower and I wondered if this would matter, I guess the chances are good nothing will happen. :D

firstoffshore 05-10-2006 09:48 PM

I broke a shaft on the drive and lost the prop at 103 MPH. The single engine cat did not do anything funny; it just slowed down and stopped.

Cash Bar 05-10-2006 09:51 PM

Racers area will get you more info as far as drive failures........

I'd ask there since the flips and spins seem to be caused by drive failures more often at WOT.

Just an idea.

4mulafastech 05-10-2006 09:54 PM

Had the port engine prop shaft break at 105+mph in a 22' Talon tunnel with twin 2.5's on nitrous. It took a hard left but I was able to maintain control and straighten her out as it slowed. Scariest surprise I ever experienced and reinforced my belief in always wearing a life vest when running hard. Turned out an internal flaw in the prop shaft propagated out as a fatigue crack from many hours of running surface piercing clever props. Now there is a really nice Mazco prop laying on the bottom of the Mississippi River... :rolleyes:

BBB725 05-10-2006 10:28 PM

Blew a drive at 90 plus, pulled hard to that side but not uncontrollable, triple engine setup

44MTI 05-10-2006 11:16 PM

I have lost a motor at 100+, no big deal, as everyone has stated. If a motor locks up, the next weakest link is suppose to break so that the prop can still rotate. If something happened and the prop was not allowed to spin, I think this could be a potentially serious probablem.

Strip Poker 388 05-10-2006 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by happycamper
Rob,

Neverheard of anyone loosing control after a motor or drive gives at speeds around 100 - But in a boat on the water - Anything can happin! :(

Saw you on Saturday in Madisonville but we did not see you back at Charlies "Fun House" - Prop stop must have been kickin! :drink:

Yea we got scared of the rain and did the run pretty quick .We got back to the Prop Stop about 2.00 something and hung out there till 5.00 something then went and put the boat up, went to Charlies about dark by car.You wouldn't been able to find me at Charlies I was invisible and bullet proof :rolleyes: :drink: We had a great time and I took it easy with the borrowed out drives :eek: Sorry we missed ya .We will be back for the Royal Purple for sure.

Rob

We had a few boat rafted up next to us at the Prop Stop :rolleyes:

Strip Poker 388 05-10-2006 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by 42MTI
I have lost a motor at 100+, no big deal, as everyone has stated. If a motor locks up, the next weakest link is suppose to break so that the prop can still rotate. If something happened and the prop was not allowed to spin, I think this could be a potentially serious problem.

That's what I am thinking if the motor puked and locked up stopping the prop or the drive doing the same thing.Wouldn't it turn hard ? :eek:

Just think if a V bottom or Cat say at 150MPH and the prop locks up.I would think its going to turn.

I wonder if these boats that do the record runs like Fountain and Outerlimits at 170MPH and Dave Scott's boat at 200MPH would have something if it breaks that would let the prop spin like a ratchet??? I know the jut boat guys have a ratcheting pump in case of engine failure.

Just curios and thinking what if

Rob :D