Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Blowing A Motor Above 100 MPH ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129788-blowing-motor-above-100-mph.html)

custommarine 05-10-2006 11:41 PM

Re: Blowing A Motor Above 100 MPH ???

I was visiting Ron Doller back in the day when Al Copeland was building the 35' wood cat with eight 2.4 Mercury powerheads. Four on each side belt driving a #5 drive. I don't know many details, but they were concerned about this and were at Ron's buying a used #5 to test blowing the drive off the boat with explosive studs in the event of a power train lock up. I always thought this was an interesting idea. At that time they were going for speeds that no one had gone before. In my experience sudden power loss doesn't cause loss of control, but does cause excessive use of 4 letter words.

Strip Poker 388 05-11-2006 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by custommarine
I was visiting Ron Doller back in the day when Al Copeland was building the 35' wood cat with eight 2.4 Mercury powerheads. Four on each side belt driving a #5 drive. I don't know many details, but they were concerned about this and were at Ron's buying a used #5 to test blowing the drive off the boat with explosive studs in the event of a power train lock up. I always thought this was an interesting idea. At that time they were going for speeds that no one had gone before. In my experience sudden power loss doesn't cause loss of control, but does cause excessive use of 4 letter words.

And racing stripes in ya undies :D

Sydwayz 05-11-2006 06:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I watched a single engine race boat blow a drive right in front of us, while we were in a turn boat. The boat was about 25 feet and the prop locked up. This was at Cambridge, MD two years ago, P4-50; .50 Caliber Choppers. The boat noticeably nosed dived, and sent a wall of water straight up in the air from the prop. I believe that if this happens in a twin engine boat, you would be in trouble. Pics below first are just after the drive blew, and you can see the wall of water, and the boat is slowing to a stop, and second is as they coasted inside the course to await a tow. The third is OSO's KaraokeMike towing them in.

Sydwayz 05-11-2006 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by warbird
A few years back Trond and I were running W'birdIV at about 125mph in the river and hit something big with the starboard #6 drive. I was driving, felt the wheel shudder, looked back quickly and saw the lower unit about 100' in the air. Prop was real shiny in the sun. Boat stayed straight and we slowed down. When we got the boat out everything was gone below the cav plate, twisted metal just hanging there.
Point is, the boat just slowed down straight. But, that boat weighed probably 17,000 pounds.

WOW, that had to be a butt pucker moment. With the drive completely gone from the cavitation plate down, there was no dead weight or dead drag in the water, which was probably lucky for you.

Who was it that hit the 55 Gallon Drum during a race last year?

SCRAPMAN1 05-11-2006 07:26 AM

BLEW A DRIVE ON SUNDAY IN PICKWICK AT 95 IN A TURN WITH A V BOTTOM NOTHING DRAMATIC EXCEPT MY UN PUBLISHABLE 4 LETTER WORDS. :eek:

Strip Poker 388 05-11-2006 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by warbird
A few years back Trond and I were running W'birdIV at about 125mph in the river and hit something big with the starboard #6 drive. I was driving, felt the wheel shudder, looked back quickly and saw the lower unit about 100' in the air. Prop was real shiny in the sun. Boat stayed straight and we slowed down. When we got the boat out everything was gone below the cav plate, twisted metal just hanging there.
Point is, the boat just slowed down straight. But, that boat weighed probably 17,000 pounds.

Isnt that a 4 ingine boat??

I bet that had to be something solid :eek:

Wobble 05-11-2006 09:50 AM

Had a twin outboard engined 22-24 footer blow a motor at 90 plus here on the river two years ago, it turned hard right into the bank and trees, life flight deal, they were lucky to live.