Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Great Lakes water levels? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/129898-great-lakes-water-levels.html)

JB4Boyne 05-12-2006 08:09 PM

Re: Great Lakes water levels?

We have been thinking about coming across Lake Huron from Northern Michigan could you tell us the hot spots on Georgian Bay? Also what to avoid. Thanks, JB

ajs67Donzi 05-12-2006 10:50 PM

ToTheMax,
I, also, am tempted to do a Georgian Bay tour. Tell us more about it...what towns to drop in at, any can't miss spots, etc.

waybomb 05-12-2006 10:59 PM

I'm subscribed to an Army Corps of engineers newsletter that comes out every few weeks.

As I recall, the last newsletter indicated Lake Michigan is down about 4 inches compared to last year. They do however predict the lake will start to go over last years number in mid July. With all this rain, I bet we go above last year sooner. I hope, anyway.

MitchStellin 05-12-2006 11:21 PM

I have been out in lake Mi 4 times this year, when going out the channel in Holand it is clear to see the water is down a good 6-8"s and it is recent because ducks are eating the grass that grows on the wall. Like Don said, we have seen a couple inches of rain over the last week now but it will take years to get the levels back. No snow this winter did not help but little lake effect did help keep the water in the lake. There are spots in lake Macatawa that you could take a sailboat in but now is 2ft deep. They are dredging like crazy and the water is horrible, fish are dying and I think it is the dredging, lots of fish are dying and mostly bottom feeders, the poison is being turned up and the fish are eating it.....they blame it on warm water, I call BS and so do others. I am not effected by the level, my boat can float in 1ft and run in 3 so I have a long time before I have to worry :D Next time out I will take a picture, the best defence though is to stay inside the markers and be careful, places where you went last summer will be lower and you do not want to ding a prop.

Lmarth 05-13-2006 09:53 AM

You may want to take a look at www.lre.usace.army.mil for Great Lakes Water Levels by the Army Corp of Engineers. It has a lot more info than you'll ever want to know. It is not user friendly unless you know how to navigate it. At the lower right corner of the home page, click on "water level forecasts" and "basin hydrology". They will lead you to all kinds of pdf graphs and tables for your particular lake plus six month forecasts. I just checked and some of the Great Lakes are so far below average that I'd rather not repeat the numbers. Good Luck!

ToTheMax 05-13-2006 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ajs67Donzi
ToTheMax,
I, also, am tempted to do a Georgian Bay tour. Tell us more about it...what towns to drop in at, any can't miss spots, etc.

JB and Ajs,

I'm from the Midland-Penetanguishene area, around the South-East end of the bay, host of the annual PRA poker run in August. Most of the east side of Georgian Bay is comprised the 30,000 islands, ranging from small shoals to real "islands" its quite beutiful all the way up. There are also some interesting small towns on that route. Can't beat it for crusing, as long as you have current charts, its well-marked. There are a few large islands with plenty of beaches not too far away from us, part of Georgian bay Islands National Park. The south part, with Collingwood and Wasaga Beach always has good rough water. The west side has destinations like Meaford (the birthplace of poker runs) and Tobermory, and the flowerpot islands, which I've heard are also beautiful. Killarny and area at the north end is also very nice. Any other questions, let me know

-Max

28SS 05-13-2006 06:21 PM

I'm also a G.B guy, Parry sound area (San Souci) When you make a trip here you need CHARTS CHARTS CHARTS the bottom is very unforgiving. Its worth the trip!

ApacheCarl 05-13-2006 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by waybomb
I'm subscribed to an Army Corps of engineers newsletter that comes out every few weeks.

As I recall, the last newsletter indicated Lake Michigan is down about 4 inches compared to last year. They do however predict the lake will start to go over last years number in mid July. With all this rain, I bet we go above last year sooner. I hope, anyway.

I hope your right Waybomb. The low water in St Joseph is a problem.

Carl

Bobthebuilder 05-13-2006 07:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
We have been thinking about coming across Lake Huron from Northern Michigan could you tell us the hot spots on Georgian Bay? Also what to avoid. Thanks, JB

ToTheMax pretty well described many of the points of interest around Geo Bay.
What to avoid ? THE ROCKS !! Not meant to scare you but as mentioned follow your charts. Lots of deep water but most scenic areas are where you might get in trouble as in the 30,000 Islands. If coming do a poker run and follow the pack or hook up with me.
Here are a few pics.
Bob

TeamSaris 05-13-2006 07:29 PM

LG is higher than usuall. MUCH