Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New tow vehicle... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/13002-new-tow-vehicle.html)

CheckmateF1 01-19-2002 05:05 PM

New tow vehicle...

Well, my wife and I bit the bullit and traded in our Dodge today. Got a slightly used 2000 F350 crew cab dually w/V10 and 4.30 gears. Should be a towing machine. Anybody have one of these? How do you like it? I know it's going to get crappy gas mileage but a diesel is $5-$7k more. I figure the costs will about even out.

Thanks, Eric

29 OUTLAW 01-19-2002 05:21 PM

Back in 1997 I bought a Dodge V10 for the same reason (Cummins was $5000 more and $5000 will buy a lot of gas). I got tired of the gas mileage and bought a 2001 Dodge 1500 with 5.9 thinking the gas mileage would be a lot better - NOT. Last September I finally bit the bullet and got a new 2500 w/Cummins and really love it. Gas engine - never again. On a positive note for you, I think the 1997 V10 I had towed a bit better than the Cummins I have now. Nonetheless, the Cummins will tow my rig with no problem plus give me 17/22 mpg. :)

OutlawMark 01-19-2002 05:31 PM

Eric,you're truck will tow good stock but,adding a K&N filter,Dual exhaust & a computer chip will improve you,re power &fuel mileage. I have the 98 convicor 253
with purple graphics in tow behind my black F-350 crew cab.We have seen you on the Potomac a few times.I just signed up on OSO and hope to see you at Hooter's on the 26th.

mfb357 01-19-2002 05:41 PM

I question the 17-22mpg on the Dodge. I have a Dodge 3500 dually although I pull a 357 Formula, I only get 9 mpg. I do think the deisel kicks the **** out of the gas, especially in stop and go traffic. the V-10 is a pig even just running around without a load. Anyway I'm not bashing just my .02

checkmate zt 01-19-2002 05:52 PM

Have the 250 with the V10. I dont think the gas mileage is bad at all until you get up over 70mph. Then she likes to indulge a little.

29 OUTLAW 01-19-2002 06:11 PM

Originally posted by mfb357:
<STRONG>I question the 17-22mpg on the Dodge. I have a Dodge 3500 dually although I pull a 357 Formula, I only get 9 mpg. I do think the deisel kicks the **** out of the gas, especially in stop and go traffic. the V-10 is a pig even just running around without a load. Anyway I'm not bashing just my .02</STRONG>
The 17/22 I stated was unloaded. With boat in tow the mpg goes way down. I have not recorded mpg with boat in tow since it is moot. MPG sucks with boat in tow no matter what you have.

Sydwayz 01-19-2002 08:24 PM

You dirty dog!!! You know the Sonic is heavier than your Checkmate. We need to trade vehicles. I feel like I need to play catch up now. Everyone has a new truck but me! Wally; I want that dually. Congrats Eric! You will probably get tickets for blocking the sidewalk with the Dually too.

Brian

TYPHOON 01-19-2002 08:28 PM

ERIC ,CONGRADS ON THE NEW TRUCK.I HAVE THE F-350 CREW AND I LOVE IT FOR ALL THE SPACE IT HAS.WHO CARES ABOUT MILLAGE WHEN YOU HAVE A NICE RIG WITH A NICE ASS BOAT BEHIND IT.WE CALL THAT SPORT'N WHERE I COME FROM!P.S. DID YOU REBUILD THE MOTOR? SAY HELLO TO THE BETTER HALPH
RANDY F1-29

formula1 01-19-2002 10:33 PM

Hey Eric, nice truck! My turn's coming soon I hope! Almost got a V-10 myself, but I think I'd rather hold out for a Chevy( :eek: ) with the 8100/allision if I go gas. Being a Ford man though, a Powerstoke will have to do! Enjoy and hopefully see ya on the 26th!

Steve
PS Hey Brian, you know what I'm taking about with the 8100!! Let me know when you're ready, I'll hook you up!!

CheckmateF1 01-20-2002 10:17 PM

Hey, Thanks for all the input guys!! I wanted a Chevy also with the Allison trans but just can not spend that kind of $$. I think this Ford truck will work great. I can't wait to tow with it.

OutlawMark, we have met, right? You have the Canfield heads? Bout' time you get on here! I have already planned on the K&N, Exhaust and a chip. I need to talk to you about whats best to get as far as chip and exhaust. Im sure you or Mark House can hook me up with the good stuff. Right?

It's great to hear about the 14/10 gas mileage. I was expecting 8 everyday and 5-6 when towing. But maybe I can get 10mpg with my little boat in tow. We'll see.

Brian, I had to do it. If I put any more mileage on the Dodge I wouldn't be able to get but $5k out of it. So, Yes it is your turn!! :D I think that short wheelbase is what's giving you so much hell. That big Sonic just bosses that truck around all the way down 95.

Typhoon, Good to hear from you Randy! Yea we like to be sport'n down here also. The motor is in St. Louis being done as we speak. Should be done next month sometime. Are you guys goin to Ocean City this year also? See you there!

I really hope to see ya'll at Hooters on the 26th. Im real busy at work right now and probably won't know til the last minute if we can go. But Im tryin my best. I'll be pissed if I miss it.

Thanks for kind words! Eric