Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/130072-my-expectations-just-too-high-marine-service-just-bad.html)

sleek1 06-07-2006 03:04 PM

Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

I thought this problem was just a Phoenix AZ thing (living in the desert who boats, let alone know how to work on them lol). I always felt a guy could make a mint if he opened a shop that provided good (not even excellent) customer service. Just do what you say you will do and then deliver a boat CLEAN to the customer.

bowtie 06-07-2006 03:22 PM

You're right most labor rates are well over 90.00 per hour. The problem is most marinas don't want to pay the techs the 30.00 or so per hour they want so the techs go out on their own and the marina's find tech school grads with little or no experience and pay them 16.00 per hour. But they have no problem charging 90 for this trainee. This is the case at least in this area.

jhiguy377 06-07-2006 03:30 PM

Call me lucky; the gentleman that just took over my local repair shop is just 1 mile from my warehouse. He is professional, nice, competent and one of the only people around my area that knows TRS drives and has the special tools and manual. I do as much work on my boat as possible; its saves time and money and I want to be as familiar as possible with every system aboard. My recent drive repair cost less than $200 since my guy charges $60/hr.(1.5 hrs. total) and some parts for about $100 (I know, I got lucky -a fella in Portland had a bunch of old TRS parts sitting around for 20 years and gave them to me for a pittance.) You better believe that I let my repair guy know that I appreciated his efforts; I just came from his facility where I dropped off some plants for him and his staff of great people.

lucky strike 06-07-2006 04:35 PM

I use TNT in North Miami for my Cig. They always do a great job & always give my boat back cleaner than it was before it got there.

JT-Lupe & Ralf are the best . Thanks guys for getting us ready on time for the poker run in Jacksonville........you guys are the best

Steve

drypipetiger 06-07-2006 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by lucky strike
give my boat back cleaner than it was before it got there.

I would hope so. :D :drink:

Phil doesn't take care of it?

lucky strike 06-07-2006 04:45 PM

Phil does his thing on it for sure when it's in need of his services. He also is one of the best ! Between TNT & Philly we are up and going all the time.

LS

enticer 06-07-2006 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I wish boat dealers and shops would stop using the term "Detail".

They need to look it up in a dictionary, cause their idea of a detail and mine are 180 degrees apart.

They should just call it a hosing! :eek:

DOC...I hope you don't mean a REAL hosing :evilb: :evilb:

GOODT 06-07-2006 08:18 PM

not to get off track here but most people here dont understand how many shops work.........most shops it about the money...not who works on the boat or if they have exp on that type of boat ie....

you take a fountain with say 525s they take it to the shop because they are a merc preferred dealer

the mechanics there ( notice I didnt say techs, there is a differance) have never touched a " blue" motor, they will not tell you that .......

and Yes I dont care what books you read or what schools you go to... experience is the best teacher

need I say more

you add that to the money thing and not the passion and what do you get ???

That's why people like pwb33 and My self hate the rest the rep that we get ( sorry john but if you dont agree let me know and ill delete ) from the a holes in the industry

there are alot of jobs that I do That I dont make the money that I could because I feel bad that someone got the shaft from a not so republe shop...

But I will be the first to addmit that Im not the cheapest guy in town , nor do I want to be

if someone wants to shop price they wont come to me and I dont want them as a customer

I take the extra time to make sure its right, to make sure its clean, and if you have a problem on sunday on 4th of july you can call my cell and I Will answer......

Im not trying to toot my horn I really think that thats the way it should be ... if you want cheap though and your not a regular customer dont call me on a week end and expect anything other the ok three weeks , I take care of my customers period....

THE ONLY EXCPETION to this rule are members of the Chesapeake Bay Power Boat Assco

Weather they are regular customers or not If they have a current membership I will take care of them

Im the little guy on the block Which means when you call IM the one that will answer the phone

CAP071 06-07-2006 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by WesSmith
The marine industry unfortunately doesn't have an exclusive on poor service and broken promises........right next to it is the home improvement business !!

so true

el indio 06-07-2006 10:16 PM

Been this way as long as I can remember............to bad.............find a good crew, they are out there it takes time and money but pays off in the long run...............mark..............p.s..have a good nite.........m.m................where in n.y. are you from?..........