Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ??? >

Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Notices

Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Old 05-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

90.00 an hour labor and my boat comes back missing parts, trim and power steering fluid leaking in the engine compartment, plug missing, 10 gallons of water in my bilge like it was left out in the rain, greasy, bloody, filthy, scratched paint, bumper rub spot in my paint where the boat sat tied to a dock all night, lines, bumpers all over the place, foot prints on my sun pad. I have never stepped foot in any of my boats with shoes on, nevermind leave footprints on my sun pad. silicone squeezed out and not even bother to wipe it up. I just dont understand the marine service industry, this is not the first time. Are my expectations just too high or are others seeing this kind of " quality " service ?? I hope the quality of the work I can't see is better than the stuff I can..

The last place it was at, I typed up and printed out an itemized list of things that needed to be addressed, under warranty, they fixed only about half of them and what they did do I would have been better off doing myself. I just dont get it,, they charge mucho bucks and do crap work.. One of the places came highly reccomended, if this is quality service, I'd hate to see poor service..

If I had a 900,000 cig or something would my boat have come back washed, waxed, and detailed ?? just curious...

Last edited by Chris288; 05-13-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Have a heart to heart with the mechanic...
Old 05-13-2006, 04:59 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Originally Posted by Chris288
If I had a 900,000 cig or something would my boat have come back washed, waxed, and detailed ?? just curious...
You'd get the same service.
I agree w/ indy... and bring a shotgun!!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

90.00 an hour labor and my boat comes back missing parts, trim and power steering fluid leaking in the engine compartment, plug missing, 10 gallons of water in my bilge like it was left out in the rain, greasy, bloody, filthy, scratched paint, bumper rub spot in my paint where the boat sat tied to a dock all night, lines, bumpers all over the place, foot prints on my sun pad. I have never stepped foot in any of my boats with shoes on, nevermind leave footprints on my sun pad. silicone squeezed out and not even bother to wipe it up. I just dont understand the marine service industry, this is not the first time. Are my expectations just too high or are others seeing this kind of " quality " service ??

The last place it was at, I typed up and printed out an itemized list of things that needed to be addressed, under warranty, they fixed only about half of them and what they did do I would have been better off doing myself. I just dont get it,, they charge mucho bucks and do crap work.. One of the places came highly reccomended, if this is quality service, I'd hate to see poor service..

Majority are the same, it's unfortunate, and uncalled for. Very frustrating when picking a boat up especially after you detailed the sh*t out of it like I did on a weekly basis to get it back dirty and not in the same condition. That is all I ask, just common courtesy. I am very anal when it comes to a clean boat, car, 6-work trucks and my house. I have one employee, who has been with me for years, I love him like a brother from a different mother and thats all he does for me. Jeff
Old 05-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Registered

We will more than happy to service your boat.

Fair , fast turnaround time and expert mechanics.

We detail your boat when the work is completed.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience above....yes have a talk with them....maybe even give them another shot to make thing right.....if not....find another service center.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

90.00 an hour labor and my boat comes back missing parts, trim and power steering fluid leaking in the engine compartment, plug missing, 10 gallons of water in my bilge like it was left out in the rain, greasy, bloody, filthy, scratched paint, bumper rub spot in my paint where the boat sat tied to a dock all night, lines, bumpers all over the place, foot prints on my sun pad. I have never stepped foot in any of my boats with shoes on, nevermind leave footprints on my sun pad. silicone squeezed out and not even bother to wipe it up. I just dont understand the marine service industry, this is not the first time. Are my expectations just too high or are others seeing this kind of " quality " service ?? I hope the quality of the work I can't see is better than the stuff I can..

The answer to your question if you had a 900K Cig would it come back washed and waxed the answer would be YES...but it would have cost you $190.00 an hour, not $90.00
Old 05-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

You know the old saying....If you want it done right, do it yourself.

I'm no mechanic, I'm an IT Geek. I'm tired of the same crap you mentioned. So, I'm slowly learning. I'm not going to tear apart an outdrive or motor, but a lot of the things I've taken my boat to a shop for in the past, I now do myself.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

...I just dont understand the marine service industry, this is not the first time. Are my expectations just too high or are others seeing this kind of " quality " service ??

The last place it was at, I typed up and printed out an itemized list of things that needed to be addressed, under warranty, they fixed only about half of them and what they did do I would have been better off doing myself. I just dont get it,, they charge mucho bucks and do crap work. One of the places came highly reccomended, if this is quality service, I'd hate to see poor service.
I am quite sure there are many on here who know what you are talkin' about, but unfortunately, that's the way it is in much of the marine industry today---lots of HYPE and way, way overpriced for what you get.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies guys.... seems this is pretty common for the most part. I dont expect anyone to detail my boat, if I did I would surely expect to pay for it, but Jeez, pick up after yourself, wipe off the excess silicone, hose out the engine compartment if you've spilled oil. You should send a boat back atleast in the condition it was given, and if you took a few minutes to clean it up a bit it sure would go a long way toward making a happy customer.

Most everything is just a matter of cleaning which I would certainly have done anyway, but the scratch in the paint and the rubb mark are another story.

Last edited by Chris288; 05-13-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Registered

If i'm not mistaking you brought your boat to a Sunsation dealer, if that's the case I would file in a complaint at Sunsation. After all Sunsation has a certain amount of responsibility here.
It happen once on my boat and I gave a call the manufacturer and it didn't took long for the dealer to call me back and trying to apologies. After that everything was OK

Quick Reply: Are my expectations just too high, or is marine service just bad ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.