Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Noise Law & Mufflers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/130232-new-noise-law-mufflers.html)

carney 05-20-2006 09:37 PM

Re: New Noise Law & Mufflers

Originally Posted by Ratickle
What kind of mufflers and what is the current decible level? My belief is the law is challengable if the technology does not exist to comply. As some have stated, outboards will not pass and almost all of the patrol boats over here have one or two big outboards. I am just looking to make sure whatever mufflers I change to are the best available so I do not ever have to replace them.

I have stock 525sc's with GGB mufflers and at 750rpm it is at 94 db. I can see trying to get a built 510 to 1075 motor closer to the limit, But a stock boat from the factory that has not been altered should be left alone. I have a neighbor that hates my boat and every time I stsrt it up he calls the cops. I bought a remote control boat that reves 1200, I will run this boat around his place all summer hoping he takes a shot at it . He has taken the fun out of it , and I am going to see to it That I take the fun out of his summer .

Ratickle 05-21-2006 03:54 AM

What are New York's laws on noise? Are switchables legal or is it like Ohio as I posted? I have some RC boats that even those who like noise think are obnoxious.

carney 05-21-2006 06:53 AM

switchables are not allowed, I even took them off my last boat and sold them. I agree with the rc noice mine it bad , but if I can run my weedeater and the neighbor doesnt mine , Then he can listen to my rc with the weedeater engine. It will be interesting to see how the summer goes. Why can't we all just get along.

CAP071 05-21-2006 07:20 AM

boats are select few. Lets not even get into Harley's with open pipes :rolleyes: or the honda cars with the mufflers :rolleyes:

Ratickle 05-21-2006 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by carney
I have stock 525sc's with GGB mufflers and at 750rpm it is at 94 db.

What is the max in New York? I'm surprissed your'e running that loud at idle with GGB's. They were one of the mufflers on my short list. I'm not sure anything out there is quiet enough to pass this new SAE J34 rule, but with Lightning Captain's call on the Empress, Gil switchable's on the Scorpion, and Corsa Captain's call on the BT I have to do something to try and meet the requirement of nothing is allowed which reduces the effectiveness of the muffling device.

Ratickle 06-11-2006 09:52 PM

Just bringing back to top for reference with "Noise Police" thread.

Buddy OO 06-12-2006 07:52 AM

we have tried all the exhausts out there on extreme blower motors from 750-1200hp, dry/wet without any success, even the cmi's, the cmi's also are bad for spring failure, have now seen it on 2 boats here at loto, we have a great source for any custom configuration for polished turndowns, we have been able to easily make all the boats we have done legal, the last was a triple engine 900 hp blower motor application , which was 104 without 83 with at idle, we also made them so you could put an insert in them if you want to be fully protected on a moving tests, the most economical way to make them legal so far is this method we believe,

StraightJacket 06-12-2006 12:45 PM

Wiggler, we were down there last weekend for the poker run and I was trying to find your boat. My dad called me and asked me to look at it to see your set up. I did see a big cruiser with turn downs on it at one of the stops and it looks like a great idea, but what about reversion, what type of cam are you running , we have a split pattern .710, .690 lift roller with a 108-110 lobe seperation, on naturals. any type of info would be appreciated . we won't be ready for this year but will be in next year with the new hull design .

Buddy OO 06-12-2006 04:02 PM

no chance at all of reversion, the boat is out of the water, trying to sell, had it on 54. if you are concerned about reversion a simple hole inside the transom on bottom of tailpipe, and transom exit similar to nortechs stealth is an easy fix, my application just has too much angle and downturn for that. have to talk to my engine guru to get you specifics on my motors, sorry can guess but will get you exactly if you need it, thanks jim

BY U BOY 06-12-2006 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by CAP071
boats are select few. Lets not even get into Harley's with open pipes :rolleyes: or the honda cars with the mufflers :rolleyes:

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES.