Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advice on loading boat in windy weather (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/130423-advice-loading-boat-windy-weather.html)

Mikey Likes It 05-18-2006 04:43 PM

Re: Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Originally Posted by fountain1998
I usually put in at PB ramp at Osage Beach (LOTO). I noticed better control with drive in all the way. It should be deep enough for this shouldn't it?

Hey are you going to be at LOTO Memorial Day?

JB4Boyne 05-18-2006 06:06 PM

I just pull up to the dock, tie 2 lines from the boat to the dock, run up and get the truck and trailer and just back it under the boat, hook the cable on the front tighten it down and go back and untie the lines and just pull out. You can do it all by your self no matter how windy it is and you never get your feet wet.

But that is up here in the north where most all of the ramps have docks running down them into the water.
I can't figure out how come in the south they don't have docks. It makes it so easy and faster.

Wobble 05-18-2006 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne

But that is up here in the north where most all of the ramps have docks running down them into the water.
I can't figure out how come in the south they don't have docks. It makes it so easy and faster.

It's much better entertainment without them :drink:

Sydwayz 05-18-2006 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
I guess some guys like poles....

To poodleish for me.

I had to have them on my last POS Rocket trailer. It was hard to hit a land a floating boat on a floating trailer. Eff'in POS.

cgarrett 05-19-2006 04:12 PM

My new to me trailer has poles and I do not like them.

On my first load of the season I see that they rub down the side of the boat when loading.

Another thing I did not like is that I can usually back the trailer down the ramp close enough to the dock to load a boat by myself but with the poles it would be impossible to put them just right between the boat with the dock lines tied.

I had to put the trailer beside the boat and then get on the boat and back it up past the poles and drive it on the trailer.

We all have different situations with ramps and docks but for me I just do not care for the poles.

Cordell

sakoutis3 05-19-2006 04:17 PM

By me a the Highlands Marina they have the peanut gallery where everybody sits for the entertainment at the ramp. And let me tell you it can be funny at times.Last year some dude sank on aproach to the ramp he hit something while o plane and didn't know it. Some as he slowed down the boat went to the bottom.

DayTripper 05-19-2006 04:35 PM

I can go ask my old lady if you want me to...... she loads and unloads the boat while I back the truck down.

We have a 27' Baja and she hits it dead nuts about 90% of the time. Have confidence going in and you'll be fine.

Wobble 05-19-2006 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by DayTripper
I can go ask my old lady if you want me to...... she loads and unloads the boat while I knock back a cold one

:evilb: :evilb: You are the man :D

Jassman 05-19-2006 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
I just pull up to the dock, tie 2 lines from the boat to the dock, run up and get the truck and trailer and just back it under the boat, hook the cable on the front tighten it down and go back and untie the lines and just pull out. You can do it all by your self no matter how windy it is and you never get your feet wet.

Welcome to the South. :drink: You guys are on lakes, we are on Oceans, gulfs, 3-4' tide changes, totally different conditions, and then them welcomed hurricanes :rolleyes: taking everything out every few years and so on. Plus it's the South, slower paced and 10 years behind the times, but I like it that way, I can predict the future, cause Im originally a Yankee :D

mars 05-19-2006 09:28 PM

Just wondering, most of the boats have 8.5 foot beam and by adding guides-on poles you are ending at, at least 9 foot wide. Most of the states and here in Canada allow 8.5 foot wide to be in law regarding a truck or trailer width.
Anybody ever had an issue for being to wide