Advice on loading boat in windy weather >

Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Notices

Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Old 05-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on loading boat in windy weather

I am having some problems loading my boat in windy weather. What tips can you give me to do it right the first time. I went from a 21' Mastercraft tournament ski boat 13 years ago to a 27' fountain this year. The fountain isn't the sports car my Mastercraft was. Handling isn't close to the mastercraft. I need some good advice. Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Leave The Trailer A Little More Shallow, Always Stay In Foward Gear , Carry A Little More Speed..
Shallow Meaning Enough Not To Bang The Bow Stop.
Stab It
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 367 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Re: Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Back up your trailer so there is less water on the trailer than usual.This way as soon you are on the trailer the back end of the boat won't go from side to side as easily. Once you are pretty much in place on the trailer, you can always back up a little bit (the trailer not the boat) so it becomes easier to move it forward to its good position up front... That's the only way I found it could help me when in your kind of trouble... Hope it helps!
Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 AM
good2go38
VIP Member

Believe it or not asking for help is a good way to insure you load the boat safely and keep all the paint and fiberglass in the places you want it. When the wind is blowing and/or the current is running strong even the best have problems. Take your time, don't approach anything faster than you want to hit it. I wish someone would have told me this before my first fiberglass repair.
Get familiar with your boat. Take it to the ramp when there is nobody there. Load the boat 10 times with no audience. You will be surprised how much this helps. Good Luck
Old 05-18-2006, 04:32 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

practice
Old 05-18-2006, 04:34 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

....and approach things as fast as you want to hit'em.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Registered

Smile Re: Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Keep factory gelcoat handy.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Registered

Back the trailer farther in the water than normal to get all of the bunks wet. Then pull the trailer out of the water a little further than normal so that bunks are exposed more. Aim the tip of the boat slightly more toward the wind and give a little more gas than normal then put into neutral. Once the boat and trailer make contact, I would wench the boat the rest of the way.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
Back the trailer farther in the water than normal to get all of the bunks wet. Then pull the trailer out of the water a little further than normal so that bunks are exposed more. Aim the tip of the boat slightly more toward the wind and give a little more gas than normal then put into neutral. Once the boat and trailer make contact, I would wench the boat the rest of the way.
Exactly, plus with the bunks wet it should slide on a little easier. Im no pro but it works for me, Im not into driving right up, and how described above it would be impossible. I will get it as far as I can, hook the strap on, crank it somewhat but not to much to put undo stress on the crank system, back the truck up another 2 or so feet making sure boat is parallel with trailer fenders, and repeat until boat hits the stop. Good luck. Jeff
Old 05-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Registered

All of you have great ideas. Thank you. On and off ten times in a row would probably build confidence, hopefully, not pad the gelcoat repair guy's pocket book! I like the idea of a little more speed. This seems to keep the boat in more of a straight line. I was told to keep the back bunks about 10 inches out of the water. Maybe a little more out of the water on a windy day? This will act more of a brake when approaching at a greater speed. Another good statement is practice when no one is there. Where do you guys have your drives at? I usually put in at PB ramp at Osage Beach (LOTO). I noticed better control with drive in all the way. It should be deep enough for this shouldn't it? Do any of you use the guide posts? These look like they would help. If you do, which brand do you recommend? Thanks for your procedures. I welcome more.

Quick Reply: Advice on loading boat in windy weather

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.