Car rims used as trailer rims

Notices

Car rims used as trailer rims

Old 01-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car rims used as trailer rims

Anyone ever use jeep rims for trailer rims. I found a nice set of jeep rims on ebay that have the same bolt pattern as my trailer. I just don't know if the offset and the hole in the center of the rim is large enough for a bearing buddy to fit through. Are there any other rims I can look at that will fit my 4.5" x 5 lug pattern.

Thanks
Paul
Old 01-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I believe the mid 80's Ford station wagons used the same pattern. The offset will push the wheel out further. I do have a couple of shallow cuts from the fender on mine. I actually have a set at home that I'd be more than willing to part with. They even come with tires! These are a vane style with maybe 40 vanes per wheel. They are metallic silver. One of the wheels is lightly scorched from when the car burned.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Registered

You are correct about the bolt circle being the same as a Jeep, I had a 5 lug dual axle trailrite and I had a set of 15x8 ANTERA wheels- bolt pattern 5x114.3, center bore was hub centric 66.1 (Nissan) and the offset was 0.
The wheels were even with the fender, and bearing buddies were able to sit under the enclosed center cap.

I still have the wheels (7pcs) with caps if you interested let me know, I also have extra caps (ANTERA Style 141)
for dual axle or triple axle with a spare.

Also, used 1/2" lug nuts.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

I believe a Ford Ranger rim is 5 x 4.5 as well. Chevy S-10 is 5 x 4.75.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Land Cruiser

Default Re: Car rims used as trailer rims

I'd like to buy your extra set of center caps w/mounting brackets from you.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Registered

I have six aluminium rims that are for a truck. They fit fine. I like the looks of them also, I have seen people match rims with the truck also, can you imagine buying 10 tires and rims? I bet it would be 5K. Hey Bada,are any of those 16.5 8 bolt? I need another spare, I feel safer with two.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a set of late 80's Ford turbine style wheels on my 5000 lb Load-Rite trailer ,centercap and all. Even added a set of cheapy three bar spinners to the center cap. This made them appear almost identical to mid 60's Vette knockoffs . I even had people ask . Anyway , the two biggest things to worry about are load capacity and back spacing.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Registered

Load capacity would definately be my main concern. I forget who it was on this board, but they had put aftermarket wheels on their Avalanche. Well, the rim itself decided to decintegrate on the highway while they were pulling a trailer. The rim, while pretty, was not load rated to handle the tow. I would make sure you know how much weight your going to tow, then find a rim that will handle the weight. Any wheel dealer or rep should be able to get you the info you need.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys may want to keep Bada Bings number handy for rims on all your other toys as well. All of us in CA call him for our Bling!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Load capacity would definately be my main concern. I forget who it was on this board, but they had put aftermarket wheels on their Avalanche. Well, the rim itself decided to decintegrate on the highway while they were pulling a trailer. The rim, while pretty, was not load rated to handle the tow. I would make sure you know how much weight your going to tow, then find a rim that will handle the weight. Any wheel dealer or rep should be able to get you the info you need.

you are correct about being aware of the load ratings but in that case the rim sepration happened after they (friends of mine) hit the guard rail. it didnt break because of overlaoding. i have a set of brand new explorer sport wheels i have often thought of putting on my boat trailer but am not sure how to find out what the rating is for that particular wheel.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Quick Reply: Car rims used as trailer rims

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.