Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How do you guys handle this.. >

How do you guys handle this..

Notices

How do you guys handle this..

Old 05-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Re: How do you guys handle this..

I have had the same problem for years with boat my boat and lake house. Always people there to use and abuse but never to help put the cottages away, wax the boat or put gas in it.

As of last summer I simply don't take people anymore. I take who I want when and where.

My problem was somewhat the same as yours. I had no issues with the money thing or supplies but, it did pi$$ me off when people were trying to dictate when we would leave the dock, or what time they had to be home ect. I got to a point where I simply said this is what we are doing and if you want to come get in, sit down, shut up and have a good time.

The money thing to me was not about the actual dollar amount but simply the principle of the thing. Now I am much tighter on cash ( I am building a house) so I simply tell people how much it is going to cost..............you should see their faces..........Suddenly going out on my boat isn't as fun for them.

Last year I ran a couple of poker runs but only one with friends and they about SH!t when I asked for money

PR Cost 350 entry
Dock 50
gas 350
supplies 100

850/4 215 each..........

Once they started to b!tch and tried to make me feel bad for having them pay I explained it this way

boat 90,000
Dock 1,700
Insur 5,856
Stor 1, 800
repair 1,000

10, 356 per year just to own it not including the gas to run it

Then they understood but looked at me like " well if you can afford that then you can afford to take me"

Needless to say very few of my friends are invited to come onto my boat anymore................

I don't know where this whole thing is going I guess I just needed to vent as well...............
Old 05-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I guess that's why I invite NO BODY, except my family and a few close friends. And my close friends always step up @ the gas pump! I guess I'm lucky that way!
Dean
Old 05-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Pay No Play. I Leave The Dock On My Time Not Your Time. I Have A Friend That I Grew Up With, We Have Know Each Other About 20yrs Now And He Has No Problem Paying For Gas When I Take Him Fishing. But On The Go Fast He Thinks That He Does Not Have To Pay And On Top Of That He Invites Several People To Go On My Boat Wtf. He Just Got His Own Boat And Since My Engine Is Apart I Go With Him And I Always Forget My Wallet In The Car.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned my lesson last 4th of july, my usual friend and his girl comes but the wife wants to invite her friend and husband too. no problem. my buddy always pitches in w/ gas and is a big help around the dock, not to mention his girl is a hot freak! Well the wife's friend and husband come also but she also brings her brother. WTF? seven people in a 26' boat is tight. Go to the sand bar to hang out for a while then planned on going to jagers to eat. The brother drinks to much and we wind up bringing everyone back aznd cutting the day short. My balls werem so swollen when i got home i wanted to beat my dog. From then on i say i dont know what time im leaving or coming back just be at the house for this time.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

I am usually happy to take people on my boaat for a ride. I enjoy sharing the fun. But when they get to be regulars the courteous thing to do is at least offer to pay for some of the gas. I think some people just arent brought up right to understand this. The truth is my wife and I would have went with or without passengers so nearly the same fuel burned. We dont have to depend on others pockets to run our boat nor do most boat owners, But it is nice when someone offers to help out. After all it's like Ironmanwb stated in so many words. Maybe they would like to make a few of the boat paymens and a few of the entry fees and then toss in a new prop or two and find out what comes along with owning a boat. Maybe a bill or two for gas is cheep after all.

Owning a boat is expensive. During the winter when mine is in storage I wonder why we have so much invested. However when out on the lake it never crosses my mind.

The folks that truly love boating are a lucky bunch. Oh I know we have to bi*** sometimes but when the day comes that I cant get out on our boat you may as well bury me.

Let's hit the lake!!!!

Jerry.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Registered

I am totally confused!

I never ask the "Claymates" to pay for gas. All I ask them to bring is food and tunes. I provide the boat, the gas, and the beer. If they want hard liquor, they bring some.

Single guys are never invited. Hell, I don't even have any "single guy" friends. All of my "married guy" friends have boats!

Sometimes one of the Claymates want to bring out a guy, but it's rare. In order to be a "Claymates" you can't be married or have a boyfriend.

This weekend I will have two guys (including me) and five girls. I like those odds.
Attached Thumbnails How do you guys handle this..-claymates.jpg   How do you guys handle this..-dc001.jpg   How do you guys handle this..-dc003.jpg  

Last edited by Clay Washington; 05-24-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Registered

I'm taking this one for a Harley ride on Thursday evening!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: How do you guys handle this..

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
I am totally confused!

I never ask the "Claymates" to pay for gas. All I ask them to bring is food and tunes. I provide the boat, the gas, and the beer. If they want hard liquor, they bring some.

Single guys are never invited. Hell, I don't even have any "single guy" friends. All of my "married guy" friends have boats!

Sometimes one of the Claymates want to bring out a guy, but it's rare. In order to be a "Claymates" you can't be married or have a boyfriend.

This weekend I will have two guys (including me) and five girls. I like those odds.

You da man!
Old 05-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Registered

some of these girls will be on my boat this weekend...

Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a sticker and put it on the cabin door that reads

"Gas, Grass, or Ass, nobody rides for free"

They will get the point, especially if they choose the last one - pun intended

Wild

Quick Reply: How do you guys handle this..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.