Notices

Cigarette 36' Competition

Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cigarette 36' Competition

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
Marco:

Glad to help out. Join that historic race boat site and use the contact form to ask about more 36' Cig. color pictures. Crouse donated boxes of pictures to the website...
Finally I see the Tamarind Seed!
A question: it was the former? I'm thinking to Slap Shot,or the second Dante's Inferno(one of those was the Kaama in 1976-77). Or maybe a new boat?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

is this one
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 36' Competition-fpc_jun00-68b.jpg  
Old 05-24-2006, 07:38 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I think that's a 39.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
Ok Mike

I'm 46 old,born in Viareggio,Italy. In 1972 I saw the first my Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio the third oldest Offshore race of all time,after Miami-Nassau and Cowes-Torquay-Cowes.
That year won Vincenzo Balestrieri with the little old Cig.32' Black Tornado and I became a fan of him.
I saw alls V-B-V editions from 1972 to the last in 1996. I saw the 1979 World Championships in Venice where won Betty Cook and next days I will post my pictures of that race.
I have thousands of pictures of mine or take from the net,original magazines and books,and advance-programs magazines of some races.
Now I live in the Lithuania's capital Vilnius where I sell optical and sun glasses. A country without offshore or motorboating traditions,but I continue in my interest.
I'm not a boat owner(sic!) but when in my youth I worked in a italian offshore team I have drove a original Cigarette 36' Competition,the former Lady Nara,winnner of the famous CTC in 1971 with rough seas and one of the firsts 36' that came out from the Aronow's yards.
I'm proud to have met Mr. Don Aronow ,The Genious,and I take care him signature in my offshore celebrity guest book.
I met Pepe Nunez,Tom Gentry,Ted Toleman,Michael Doxford,Joel Halpern,errol Lanier,Dave Wilson ecc.
I'm preparing a book of the history of alls Bertrams 38' competition and in I'm working in the history of alls Cigarette 36' Competition built.
Im very interested to the US Offshore powerboats that have raced specially in the '70's.
I'm very happy to meet this forum. Unbelieveble!
Sorry for my bad English,but i think that we will talk about offshore old time era a lot.
That's I hope!
let us know when that book is done and you will have a lot of people intrested in it....but i have first gigs for it

jr mike
Old 05-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black Tornado, This is Pepe Nunez / Pantera boats. One of my favorite trophys is the one from Viaregio Bastia Viareggio it is beautifull Silver, It brings me back such wonderfull memories of what OFFSHORE used to be!
Best regards,
Pepe Nunez @ Pantera
Old 05-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Marco, lots of cool people on this forum huh? Do not worry about your English, it is just fine! I can't speak your language so you are doing better than me! Heck you speak better than a lot of people here in the USA!
take care, Mike
Old 05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

Now this thread is what Offshoreonly is all about!

Marco, let us know when the book is out. You should do well with sales on this site alone!

Any plans to extend the racing history and go into a little broader Cigarette racing history? Maybe go all the way to the current times? Good luck with your endeavor, can't wait to see the end result.

Tank
Old 05-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
is this one
That is a 39 that Nordskog won some records with. I believe it was an endurance boat.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
You're Charlie McCarthy?!
It's a honour for me!
I still remember exactly when I read in a motorboating italian magazine the news of the first(and alone sic!) victory of the Top Banana!

I was in contact with Mr. Crouse that I meet in Viareggio's World Championships in 1984. But recently I don't have him message in my mail.
Now you tell me that have the Crouse's archive with the Tibedau or Maugeri collections. Well done! I'm waiting for!
Thank you Marco....it is an honour for us here on OSO to meet with someone who loves our sport so much.

Charlie McCarthy

Here are some more shots of the famous 36 Cigarette. The two boat shot is showing Tom Gentry, number 99, winning his first race against Bill Wishnick.

The single boat is Bill Wishnick in his 36 Cigarette. I will find some shots of Lady Nara that we have too.

Happy to hear of your book, we have been tossing around ideas for a photo type coffee table book with a few comments with each photo like our HORBA website.
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette 36' Competition-offshore-oldies0051a.jpg   Cigarette 36' Competition-offshore-oldies0036a.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-24-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
Black Tornado, This is Pepe Nunez / Pantera boats. One of my favorite trophys is the one from Viaregio Bastia Viareggio it is beautifull Silver, It brings me back such wonderfull memories of what OFFSHORE used to be!
Best regards,
Pepe Nunez @ Pantera
Hi' Pepe!
These are the only pictures that I have of that event in 1980.

Fourth overall and 2nd in Class 2.

The 1980,s Class 1 Italian Champion,Doc. Tommaso De Simone,drove the former Nunez's Pantera in VBV of 1981,shortened Viareggio-Gorgona's Island-Viareggio because of rough seas.

I'm not sure that this Pantera was sent in Italy. I never seen,but a magazine wrote it was imported by Sailmotorboating of Milan.

Quick Reply: Cigarette 36' Competition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.